Miami night club news from the source

Irma

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby LeVeL on 12 Sep 2017 08:22

Re: Irma

I am without power and internet, but my home was not damaged at all. I had to sleep at a friends house in Boca Raton last night.

Hope everyone is safe.

From seeing all the stories and pictures it looks like South Beach and Las Olas were heavily hit. I feel bad for anyone that lives on the Beach, evacuated and were not allowed go back to their homes.
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby Wayne S. Noches on 12 Sep 2017 09:47

We did a bike ride from Bay Road over to Ocean Drive yesterday morning and South Beach is torn up much worse than I thought it would be. Lots of trees down and laying across roads. I guess there's some power lines down too. Our A/C (a chiller system) went off for a few hours then came back on, but we didn't lose electric power at all.

Last night after dark I could see at least 5 of the big hi-rise condos over in Miami that were completely dark. Also the Venetian Islands were without power except for 2 houses which apparently had generators.

Around 3am Monday morning Star Island was flooded with 10+ police cars, probably because of looters.
Wayne S. Noches

Purpose of your visit?: News
Dogs...can you hear me, Dogs?

Postby pod on 14 Sep 2017 11:02

Back.

PodHood is a mess. Fallen crap everywhere and several blocks still don't have power. PodPlex is unscathed. We got internet service back this AM, which probably indicates the neighborhood where the cable headend sits got power restored.

It could have been a lot worse for all of us on the East Coast of Florida.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby pod on 14 Sep 2017 11:09

Oh, and that being said, glad to see all TNLers pulled through.

We can go back to being horrible to each other I guess - you fucking progressive regressive deplorable statist scolding harridans!
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby coach on 15 Sep 2017 00:45

We bitched out to central Florida. I have to say, the hype really killed me. I tried to stay off of media, but all of my non-Miami friends were panicking because they thought we were about to get hit by a cat 11 Sharknado because according to the news, that was what was going to happen.

Anyway, we had a solid plan, made it through without a glitch. I was pissed I couldn't go home Monday, but we got home Tuesday evening, and it looked like Electricity had never even faltered. Internet was up by that evening.

The moral of this story is that good planning sometimes does pay off.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby Michael^Heaven on 16 Sep 2017 10:58

Re:

Nice to see that everyone here made it OK for the most part. Luckily, we never lost power/ internet during the storm just like Matthew. Only because my place is on the same grid as the main power transfer station in my area. It's beyond unfortunate what happened to the lower Keys.
Michael^Heaven

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.

Postby TechJunkie on 18 Sep 2017 18:49

We confirmed that the hotel in Sweetwater was a good evacuation destination when we showed up and the entire Sweetwater police department was setting up shop there. Instead of in their own headquarters. Spent the immediate post-storm period watching police swarming in and out of our hotel, the nearby Florida Highway Patrol building, and the FDLE building.

South Beach is amazingly wrecked, and Belle Isle seems to be the most wrecked of all. Buildings are all standing though. And we have power, water, and Internet back again. Could have been a lot worse. I was planning in the worst case for a huddling-in-the-stairwells situation in a Category 5. So anything better than that is pretty good.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby spool on 18 Sep 2017 19:11

So what’s causing these storms? Climate change?
spool

Postby pod on 19 Sep 2017 10:56

For us in mainland South Florida, Irma was a "practice run" for the real thing. Let's be honest, outside of a few incidents where people were legit injured or died, most of what we've been bitching about is "First World Problems". No power, no internet, etc. Sucks, but BFD, ya know? It'll come back if it hasn't already.

Anywho, lessons learned.

• Clean water is your best friend. Stock up on water, a lot of it. Think a gallon per person per day. While bottled water is great, one can purchase water-specific containers for cheap. You can fill them up with tap water before a storm and save a bundle. Also worth obtaining are water purification kits for if you run low on fresh water or if the municipal water supply is compromised. Also, double check your unused water stash. In store-bought jugs, you will lose some to evaporation even if they are sealed. You can get long-term water storage jugs on Amazon. Also don't be afraid of tub water, it's the same crap that comes out of your sink.

• Batteries. Buy plenty of the common sizes you’ll need for lights and lanterns and electronics. Also handy is to have a large uninterruptible power supply to charge up things like mobile devices and laptops. A large server-grade UPS can keep your devices happy for several charge cycles for a long time. Anker batteries rule, and also you can never have too many AAs.

• Back-up power. Generators are noisy unless you are prepared to spend a little cash for one with a true inverter. Your average jobsite generator only has one setting - "ON", which basically means it delivers it's max power all the time. Which means lots of gas. A generator with an inverter only delivers what it needs to deliver. If you are just powering a fan and some electronics, it's whisper-quiet. But it costs more. $1000 at least. Standby generators cost even more. Solar is an option. Yes, I know there's some scuttlebutt about large-scale solar being illegal in Florida because of FPL, but after a storm, providing for you and yours becomes more important than what FPL thinks. Get a few panels and enjoy. I'm personally considering getting into solar, actually.

• Propane and propane accessories. Your grill is you best friend. It should be anyways. Butane is the bastard's gas. Charcoal is good in my book as well.

• Back-up communication methods. Cellular networks are overwhelmed and can fail during a disaster. I firmly recommend two-way radio communications. Little FRS radios or commercial-grade GMRS (business) radio comes in handy to keep in touch with your family and friends during and after the storm. I borrowed a pair of Motorola GMRS radios from a friend - having a pair was helpful when we were in our "convoy" and cell/text was overwhelmed. If Motorola is a little rich for your blood, then Google around for "Baofeng" - they aren't as robust but they are cheap as hell and function great. Plus you can play around with the firmware. The truly enterprising can get a radio scanner to keep appraised of what emergency services are doing in the area. FYI, those goofy Zello apps don't work. There's some ad hoc options for phones, i.e. Beartooth, but I haven't tested them.

• Survival food. Think military Meals Ready To Eat, aka MREs, aka Meals Rejected By Ethiopians, aka Meals Ready to Excrete. May or may not be tasty, but they’ll get you going.

• Medicines, first-aid, and so on. You might get sick, or get hurt. Be prepared. Stock up on all the essentials, even if a storm or disaster isn’t imminent. You should have it all anyways.

• Fuel. If you are staying, you’ll need propane or charcoal for the grill if you don’t have a gas stove. If you are going, you’ll need gas for your car. Note, consider carefully where you put your backup gas can - on the back of your car is not advisable. Think of the sobering tale of the Ford Pinto.

• Keep your head on straight. There's a lot of foul-tempered people out there before, during, and after a storm.
Attachments
IMG_1757.JPG
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby pod on 19 Sep 2017 12:31

Oh, and one more thing. Energy drinks are like currency during a disaster.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

PreviousNext

Return to talk about Nightlife