Miami night club news from the source

Chick-Fil-A sandwiches from Shake Shack, 50 Eggs

Restaurants, gourmet news, and foodie playground.

Moderator: lulamishka

Postby TechJunkie on 26 Jan 2016 13:38

Chick-Fil-A sandwiches from Shake Shack, 50 Eggs

I guess nobody is as sad as me about the failure of the 50 Eggs experiment called BTW in the old original Lime space on Alton Road in South Beach. :(

Their next attempt will open soon and it's basically Chick-Fil-A. Thanks to the Miami Herald I now know that Shake Shack is also now servicing Chick-Fil-A sandwiches.

Can't wait to try both. Glad I don't have to support Bible thumpers to eat them.

chix.jpeg

The Chick’n Shack sandwich from Shake Shack, left, and The Yardbird from Spring Chicken. The two restaurants are neighbors in Coral Gables.

A fried-chicken clash is coming to Coral Gables.

Spring Chicken, the new fast-casual fried-bird restaurant from Miami restaurant group 50 Eggs Inc. (Yardbird, Swine), is opening Jan. 28 at 1514 S. Dixie Hwy. in Coral Gables. That’s a soft egg toss from neighbor Shake Shack, 1450 S. Dixie Hwy., which last week rolled out its new Chick’n Shack sandwich nationwide.

Which ’wich will be the last one clucking on South Dixie: Shake Shack’s Instagram darling or Spring Chicken’s The Yardbird? We’ve broken down the contenders.

After Spring Chicken’s grand opening on the 28th, the restaurant will be open daily for lunch and dinner. Future locations are planned for Miami Beach (1439 Alton Rd.), Fort Lauderdale (2400 N. Federal Hwy.) and Miami International Airport (Concourse D).

Shake Shack

Contender: Chick’n Shack.

Skinny: Crispy chicken breast with lettuce, pickles, buttermilk herb mayo on non-GMO potato bun.

Price: $6.29.

Story: Shake Shack tested the Chick’n Sandwich at its Brooklyn locations last year before deciding to bring it to the rest of the country.

Where: Shake Shack, 1450 S. Dixie Hwy., Coral Gables, and 1111 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach.

Spring Chicken

Contender: The Yardbird.

Skinny: Crispy chicken thigh with house pickles and Southern sauce on a toasted potato bun.

Price: $5.95.

Story: The base recipe for Spring Chicken’s fried chicken comes from 50 Eggs CEO John Kunkel’s grandmother, Lewellyn.

Where: Spring Chicken, 1514 S. Dixie Hwy., Coral Gables.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/living/food- ... rylink=cpy
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby TechJunkie on 29 Jan 2016 18:13

Re: Chick-Fil-A sandwiches from Shake Shack, 50 Eggs

The one from Shake Shack looks just like that photo and it's excellent. Crispy, flaky chicken. Big, thick pickles. Buttery mayonnaise. The Flavor of the South™. Now you can get your Southern chicken sandwich fix from New York liberals instead of Georgia Bible thumpers. Paired with a 24-oz beer and some cheese fries and it's more calories than you need in a whole day. And worth it.

Wife was not impressed. Was also super irritated that I kept saying "Chick-Fil-A" during the Shake Shack Chick-Fil-A sandwich review adventure.

So that's one thumb up. One thumb down. I will be back.

Update on Spring Chicken as soon as the South Beach location opens. I can't be bothered to go to Coral Gables for a chicken sandwich.
TechJunkie

Postby davenavarro on 17 Feb 2016 01:13

I tried Shake Shack's chicken sandwich about a week and a half ago, and I thought it was pretty good. I also ate lunch at Spring Chicken this past Sunday, and I enjoyed what I had. I have a few complaints about my experience at Spring Chicken though. The first was the wait. I passed by at around 3:30 p.m. to grab a bite to eat, and it took about 15-20 minutes after I ordered to get my food. I ordered three piece jumbo tenders and a biscuit. The chicken tenders and fries were great, but I didn't even bother to eat the watermelon (which I think is strange to serve with chicken and fries). The biscuit was huge, but it was harder than a 15 year old with a Playboy. My other gripe about Spring Chicken was the price. I thought that it was kind of expensive for what I got. I think I payed about $11.00 or $12.00 for my three chicken tenders, french fries, and biscuit. I could get a five piece tender meal with fries, and an awesome biscuit at Popeyes for $8.00 or $9.00. The only thing that sucks is that the nearest Popeyes to my neighborhood is about a 40-45 minute drive round trip. I'll definitely be going back to Spring Chicken to try a few other items, but I don't think that Spring Chicken will be the kind of place that I'll frequent on a regular basis.
Last edited by davenavarro on 18 Feb 2016 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
davenavarro

Purpose of your visit?: My Real Name is Sergio

Postby coach on 18 Feb 2016 15:41

davenavarro wrote:(which I think is strange to serve with chicken and fries).

It's a regional thing.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby TechJunkie on 18 Feb 2016 16:12

Just look on the bright side, Coach: He's not even familiar with the derogatory stereotypes about fried chicken and watermelon.

I've already been back for another one of those Chick'n Shack sandwiches since I raved about it but I haven't been to Spring Chicken yet. Planning on a bike mission there with my daughter this weekend. She still misses BTW.
TechJunkie

Postby davenavarro on 18 Feb 2016 18:42

TechJunkie wrote:Just look on the bright side, Coach: He's not even familiar with the derogatory stereotypes about fried chicken and watermelon.

I've already been back for another one of those Chick'n Shack sandwiches since I raved about it but I haven't been to Spring Chicken yet. Planning on a bike mission there with my daughter this weekend. She still misses BTW.

Come on Tech. Of course I know about the derogatory stereotypes about fried chicken, watermelon, and grape soda. I'm not clueless man.
davenavarro

Postby TechJunkie on 18 Feb 2016 19:11

Well then you know that it's not a strange combination.
TechJunkie

Postby davenavarro on 18 Feb 2016 20:34

I just think it's a weird combination to serve fried chicken tenders, french fries, and watermelon pieces at the same time.
davenavarro

Postby coach on 22 Feb 2016 12:22

davenavarro wrote:I just think it's a weird combination to serve fried chicken tenders, french fries, and watermelon pieces at the same time.

It's hot in the South.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby benm3 on 25 Aug 2017 18:41

Walked by today while snagging some Picadillo for lunch from a little Latin American store and it looks like Spring Chicken closed this week.
benm3

Next

Return to talk about Dining