Miami night club news from the source

Unlocked iPhone

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby Michael^Heaven on 25 Jan 2018 11:52

Unlocked iPhone

Just curious if you know of any reputable sites to find a new unlocked iPhone? I found some refurbished at the usuals (Ebay, Amazon, etc.) but nothing new. Second question, I know how it works in the States, but how do you activate it for overseas calling while traveling?
Michael^Heaven

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby pod on 25 Jan 2018 12:09

Re: Unlocked iPhone

I'd call your provider to be honest. We're at the point now where getting an unlocked phone for overseas travel is less and less of a problem.

Speaking from experience. I'm at the Arctic Circle in Sweden right now.

Anyways, here's how it is.

AT&T - you call them up, and purchase a "data plan" for international travel. If I'm not mistaken, it's a per-day rate and you get full-speed roaming wherever you go.

T-Mobile - which is my provider. My plan includes global voice and data roaming at no extra charge. The catch is that when you go overseas, your speed is throttled, however in most cases it's not terribly noticeable unless you are trying to stream or upload. Fun thing is that the traffic is all routed through T-Mobile's US datacenter (probably so you aren't thwacking the local's DNS) and your IP appears to come from Dallas.

As for Sprint and VZW, no idea, but I think they run like AT&T. I think T-Mobile's unique approach is because T-Mobile GmbH owns most of the cell companies in Europe anyways.

Also a fun thing with T-Mobile is that there's true WiFi calling on their iPhones - basically if you are on WiFi you are no longer roaming, even for voice. You'll see your carrier change from "Telenor SE" to "T-Mobile WiFi" when it kicks in.

Dealing with swapping SIMs is becoming passé it seems.

Also, as you probably know, WiFi is ubiquitous now. Even if it's locked down, most places of public accommodation will give you their password.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby pod on 25 Jan 2018 12:11

For reference, where you off to?
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby LeVeL on 25 Jan 2018 15:00

I am in the South Pole right now :roll: :lol:

Nowadays you can get unlocked iPhones in Best Buy and Apple, but they are iPhone 7 unfortunately.

Best Buy

Apple

But, if you have AT&T call them and get the International Day Pass, which is $10.00 a day and it utilizes all the features of your Phone Plan. For example, my plan is Unlimited Talk, Text and Data so with the International Day Pass you can take advantage of all your features without getting any Roaming Charges. Now the only exceptions are Communist Countries like China, North Korea etc.

With Sprint you can get the Global Roaming Plan and it works in 200 Countries around the globe.

With T-Mobile you have the Simple International Plans which work in 140+ Countries.
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby pod on 25 Jan 2018 15:06

Actually I really am in northern Sweden right now. It's that crypto stuff.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby Michael^Heaven on 27 Jan 2018 08:23

Re:

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I have Cricket which does not have any International add-on options. It appears that Apple's site does offer unlocked/sim-free phones for all of their models including the SE. Looks like a carrier switch might be the way to go.

As for my destination, I'm undecided currently. Somewhere in Western Europe.
Michael^Heaven

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.

Postby pod on 27 Jan 2018 13:56

Yeah, MVNOs don't roam well. Go with a top-tier carrier.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Return to talk about Anything