Miami night club news from the source

When Will Tech Lose His Job

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby coach on 14 Aug 2017 01:23

When Will Tech Lose His Job

Here's When Machines Will Take Your Job, as Predicted by AI Gurus

http://bigthink.com/paul-ratner/heres-w ... t-ai-gurus
In particular, many top minds think that automation will cost humans their employment, with up to 47% of all jobs gone in the next 25 years. And chances are, this number could be even higher and the massive job loss will come earlier.

Assuming Tech is an "AI Researcher", it predicts 80 years. I think it will be much less.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby TechJunkie on 14 Aug 2017 11:46

Re: When Will Tech Lose His Job

The people least susceptible to losing their jobs to automation are:

1. People who automate other people's jobs.
2. People in high-skill jobs.
3. People who are constantly learning new skills.

I'm the last person here who you need to worry about.

(And I thought this was going to be a crack about sbe.)
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby LeVeL on 14 Aug 2017 12:06

You can add me to that list.

Any monkey can paint an art piece? Any monkey can take a picture of a sunset or sunrise.

Why are bankers needed? Don't they make machines to count money? Why are bankers needed to provide a loan, when your credit and financials speak for themselves. This i a job that can be automated very easily
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby pod on 14 Aug 2017 12:59

Most loans are pretty automated these days.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Purpose of your visit?: 57-N-231
Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby slamminshaun on 14 Aug 2017 14:33

LeVeL wrote:Why are bankers needed to provide a loan, when your credit and financials speak for themselves. This i a job that can be automated very easily

Because 2008.
slamminshaun

Purpose of your visit?: No reason.

Postby Kamen on 14 Aug 2017 18:32

Yeah, um what the hell is up with the SBE Hakkasan merger?

The rumor mill says that deal never gets done; too many egos and not a single successful operator on the SBE side.
Kamen

Postby TechJunkie on 14 Aug 2017 18:35

You're in the wrong forum. And you know I can't talk about that.
TechJunkie

Postby JMT on 14 Aug 2017 23:16

Kamen wrote:

Yeah, um what the hell is up with the SBE Hakkasan merger?

The rumor mill says that deal never gets done; too many egos and not a single successful operator on the SBE side.

The deal needs Miracle Max from The Princess Bride.
JMT

Postby coach on 15 Aug 2017 22:02

TechJunkie wrote:The people least susceptible to losing their jobs to automation are:

1. People who automate other people's jobs.
2. People in high-skill jobs.
3. People who are constantly learning new skills.

I'm the last person here who you need to worry about.

Pretty sure that's what I said. That's not really the problem, actually. I would expect a tech genius of your age to be able keep enough ahead of the curve to stay employed till you want to retire or die.

The real issue is that like, what, 80% of jobs will be automatable in under 25 years.That doesn't mean they will be automated in that amount of time, since automation requires capital investments.

It's like McDonald's, there currently exists the tech to pretty much automate the whole deal, but only a few McD's have automated, yet. Eventually, they probably all will, but it takes time to spend that much money.

In any case, in about 25 years, the vast majority of jobs will be subject to automation, and probably in less than 50 years, that infrastructure will be in place. Then what are the 20% gonna do? Who are you selling to, since most people don't have jobs?
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby TechJunkie on 15 Aug 2017 22:59

The people who still have jobs will still be doing what they have always done since the Luddites: eliminating some jobs through automation while creating entirely new kinds of jobs.

This debate about whether technological unemployment leads to permanent structural unemployment has been going on since at least the early 19th century. For centuries, it never has. Automating old jobs has always created enough new jobs for economies to keep running. For centuries, some people have thought that something had fundamentally changed and that technological unemployment would start to become permanent structural unemployment. They have always been wrong, for centuries.

People who are on the losing side of the line always think that the whole world has gone to shit when really it's only their part of it. That's why we have manufacturing workers and coal miners saying that America is not great any more because they work in declining industries. The Luddites thought that the machines were going to destroy society because all they could see was that they were out of jobs. They tried to fight against the same machines that led to the Industrial Revolution and made England great. If they had learned to become mechanics instead of smashing the machines then they could have participated in the roaring new economy that the machines enabled.
TechJunkie

Return to talk about Anything