Miami night club news from the source

Roku tops set-top box market, Apple falls behind

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby pod on 26 Jul 2017 12:21

Roku tops set-top box market, Apple falls behind

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3281560-r ... lls-behind

Roku leads the market in the number of connected TV users in the United States, according to new research from eMarketer.

While the Apple TV solution is more polished and elegant, I find myself using the Roku more often here at the PodPlex. It's a lot more feature-rich and from a functionality standpoint it works. I only flip over to the Apple TV for HBO Now since I signed up for it on the device and not the web. One downside of HBO Now is they make it a mission to view on multiple devices if you signed up from a device.

I also love the Roku since there's a whole universe of quirky little private apps and channels available. For those not in the know, Roku has an app store much like iOS, but you can easily install unlisted apps. Roku acknowledges this, but doesn't guarantee the performance on those apps. For example, we cut the cord, and I'll occasionally use Pear TV to tune into a TV stream that maybe doesn't have an app equivalent yet.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby LeVeL on 27 Jul 2017 09:47

Re: Roku tops set-top box market, Apple falls behind

pod wrote:https://seekingalpha.com/news/3281560-roku-tops-connected-tv-market-apple-falls-behind

Roku leads the market in the number of connected TV users in the United States, according to new research from eMarketer.

While the Apple TV solution is more polished and elegant, I find myself using the Roku more often here at the PodPlex. It's a lot more feature-rich and from a functionality standpoint it works. I only flip over to the Apple TV for HBO Now since I signed up for it on the device and not the web. One downside of HBO Now is they make it a mission to view on multiple devices if you signed up from a device.

I also love the Roku since there's a whole universe of quirky little private apps and channels available. For those not in the know, Roku has an app store much like iOS, but you can easily install unlisted apps. Roku acknowledges this, but doesn't guarantee the performance on those apps. For example, we cut the cord, and I'll occasionally use Pear TV to tune into a TV stream that maybe doesn't have an app equivalent yet.

I am surprised that ROKU is on top. I thought the Firestick would be #1 with Roku running second. I have three Firesticks in my house and it was a mission to buy one due to them always being sold-out in stores.

Apple TV is trash unless you are an Apple fanboy.
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby pod on 27 Jul 2017 11:51

To be honest, I only got my Apple TV because it was the best option at the time. Like I said above, I use the Roku 99 percent of the time.

Apple is slipping.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby TechJunkie on 27 Jul 2017 18:00

Which generation Apple TV do you have? The latest one that supports the App Store is awfully cool.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Return to talk about Anything