Miami night club news from the source

Happy 10th Birthday, iPhone!

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby pod on 29 Jun 2017 08:59

Happy 10th Birthday, iPhone!

http://www.businessinsider.com/watch-st ... le-2017-6/

10 years ago today, June 29, 2007, was a milestone in the history of computing: The launch date of the first iPhone.

It wasn't the first "smartphone," or the first phone with a camera. It wasn't the first mobile device to have a touchscreen, or to let users install apps. (In fact, the app store didn't even launch until 2008, a year after the first iPhone was released!)

But it tied numerous disparate features together in a cohesive, well-designed whole — kickstarting a mobile revolution that has transformed the modern world.

I actually didn't get my first iPhone til 2010. The first-gen iPhone was very impressive, sure, but a few things soured me on it:

• Locked to AT&T - I was with T-Mobile and didn't want to jump. In the long run this proved beneficial since AT&T's mobile network couldn't handle the iPhone despite them saying it could.

• original iPhone was EDGE, and 3G was just becoming a thing. I know it was about battery life, but I still think Apple could have made 3G happen in the original iPhone

• Cost. AT&T had special "iPhone" plans which weren't cheap. But those are the breaks. First-gen products typically price high and then things drop as they go along. Look at Tesla. The Roadster was like $130-$140K. Now Tesla is angling towards sub-$40K.

I jumped in 2010 mainly because of things I was working on, and also the 3G iPhones had been on the market for a second and they fit my requirements. I jailbroke one and put it on T-Mobile, albeit at reduced speeds. The irony is that reduced-speed T-Mobile actually performed around the same as full-speed AT&T because of congestion.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby LeVeL on 30 Jun 2017 14:57

Re: Happy 10th Birthday, iPhone!

10 years and over the last 3 to 4 years the innovation has gone down the tubes for the iPhone.

I still dont understand the nostalgia that people get from the iPhone.
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby pod on 01 Jul 2017 08:30

Re: Happy 10th Birthday, iPhone!

LeVeL wrote:10 years and over the last 3 to 4 years the innovation has gone down the tubes for the iPhone.

I still dont understand the nostalgia that people get from the iPhone.

It kicked down the door for the widespread adoption of smartphones.

But yes, in a way, there's been no "Wow" features in the iPhones for awhile. Though admittedly on the iPhone 7 Plus the camera is amazing. On our trip to the UK last month, I used my DSLR and iPhone almost equally. Sometimes it was more convenient to just have my phone on me. Good example was when we went through an IRA-controlled area in Belfast. Most people advised us it wasn't a good idea to bust out a large camera in that neighborhood, but I really wanted some mural photos, so I just used my phone.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Return to talk about Anything