Miami night club news from the source

Bike Locks

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby JMT on 06 Jun 2017 14:06

Re: Bike Locks

coach wrote:I always wonder how well a bike valet service would work out.

Now that is not a bad idea.
JMT

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby coach on 13 Jun 2017 14:40

It seems like it would be low overhead and if you got enough people to use it, it could be cost effective. Would you pay $1 an hour to have your bike locked in a guarded cage? I mean, I would love to ride my bike to Publix, but there is no way in hell I'm leaving it outside locked up.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby Wayne S. Noches on 20 Jul 2017 12:00

Biked to The Tides for breakfast and locked both bikes with a cable lock. Came out and some maggot had attempted to steal them and in the process screwed up the numbers spinner on the cable lock. The spinners wouldn't move no matter how hard I beat on them.

Took a cab to the hardware store and bought some big-ass bolt cutters...came back and they sliced through the cable like it wasn't even there.

So, it looks like it's down to the chain lock for protection.
Wayne S. Noches

Purpose of your visit?: News
Dogs...can you hear me, Dogs?

Postby JMT on 20 Jul 2017 13:43

Wayne S. Noches wrote:Biked to The Tides for breakfast and locked both bikes with a cable lock. Came out and some maggot had attempted to steal them and in the process screwed up the numbers spinner on the cable lock. The spinners wouldn't move no matter how hard I beat on them.

Took a cab to the hardware store and bought some big-ass bolt cutters...came back and they sliced through the cable like it wasn't even there.

So, it looks like it's down to the chain lock for protection.

Good to know.
JMT

Postby TechJunkie on 21 Jul 2017 17:34

One strategy you might try:

For the last five years, I have ridden my bicycle all around South Beach almost every day. All over the island between 40th and South Pointe. I have never locked the bike a single time. I don't carry a lock. I often walk away and leave it out of eyesight. I go into restaurants, stores, apartments, for hours at a time. Nobody has stolen it.

Sounds like a dumb idea but somehow it works. It was shiny new when all of this started so the strategy doesn't require riding a junker. I'll update this thread if somebody steals it some day. Even if that happens, it's getting old anyway, and not worrying about locking it for the entire useful lifespan of the bike was worth it. If somebody stole it at this point they would just be doing me a favor by recycling my old bike as I replace it with another shiny new one. That I also won't lock.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby Wayne S. Noches on 21 Jul 2017 22:28

TechJunkie wrote:I have never locked the bike a single time.

I wonder if the thieves view it as a bait bike?
Wayne S. Noches

Purpose of your visit?: News
Dogs...can you hear me, Dogs?

Postby TechJunkie on 01 Aug 2017 20:17

Possibly? If so then you can disguise your bike as a bait bike by putting saddle bags and a kid seat on it. It's been new, it's been old, the bags and the seat are the two common things.

Lately I have stopped taking the Bluetooth speaker off of it when I park it and walk away. I'm going to get a new speaker soon so somebody could do me a favor and take the old one. I consider it donating to the needy. If you seriously need to take my ratty old speaker then please, help yourself... But even with that I can't get anybody to steal anything.

Think about how much time and effort I have saved from not worrying about it. Wu wei.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Previous

Return to talk about Anything