Miami night club news from the source

A Basquiat Sells for $110.5 Million

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby Wayne S. Noches on 19 May 2017 08:43

A Basquiat Sells for $110.5 Million

Joining the rarefied $100 million-plus club in a salesroom punctuated by periodic gasps from the crowd, Jean-Michel Basquiat’s powerful 1982 painting of a skull brought $110.5 million at Sotheby’s, to become the sixth most expensive work ever sold at auction. Only 10 other works have broken the $100 million mark.
More
Last edited by Wayne S. Noches on 19 May 2017 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne S. Noches

Purpose of your visit?: News
Dogs...can you hear me, Dogs?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby JMT on 19 May 2017 09:59

Re: A Basquiat Sells for $110.5 Million

Link doesn't work but I found it. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/arts ... ction.html

Makes more sense than some tangled wires from Radio Shack.
JMT

Postby Wayne S. Noches on 19 May 2017 14:04

Thanks JMT.
Wayne S. Noches

Purpose of your visit?: News
Dogs...can you hear me, Dogs?

Postby pod on 21 May 2017 17:09

One of my pieces will sell for $120 million.

However, one of yous has to kill me first.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby coach on 25 May 2017 21:54

Sold to a Japanese nouveau rich. This is a trend we are going to see more as more new Asian millionaires are made. These new rich Asians want to become part of the international oligarch "cool crowd" and the way you do that in this time is by having a good collection of contemporary artworks, particularly western. It is my belief, based on some pretty solid information, that this new rich Asian market is the only thing sustaining Art Basel Miami Beach and the two dozen major fairs associated with it.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby slamminshaun on 26 May 2017 07:06

coach wrote:Sold to a Japanese nouveau rich. This is a trend we are going to see more as more new Asian millionaires are made. These new rich Asians want to become part of the international oligarch "cool crowd" and the way you do that in this time is by having a good collection of contemporary artworks, particularly western. It is my belief, based on some pretty solid information, that this new rich Asian market is the only thing sustaining Art Basel Miami Beach and the two dozen major fairs associated with it.

Dude, you just said everything we've been saying. The art is complete BS, that it's just a sideshow for pretentious cool people who try to outdo one another in pretending to know what they're looking at, and then show off their money by pissing it away on something that has no value other than boosting their own self-absorbed image for others to admire. The admiration is not the "art", but each other's status of being in the special club.
slamminshaun

Purpose of your visit?: No reason.

Postby coach on 26 May 2017 15:16

slamminshaun wrote:
coach wrote:Sold to a Japanese nouveau rich. This is a trend we are going to see more as more new Asian millionaires are made. These new rich Asians want to become part of the international oligarch "cool crowd" and the way you do that in this time is by having a good collection of contemporary artworks, particularly western. It is my belief, based on some pretty solid information, that this new rich Asian market is the only thing sustaining Art Basel Miami Beach and the two dozen major fairs associated with it.

Dude, you just said everything we've been saying. The art is complete BS, that it's just a sideshow for pretentious cool people who try to outdo one another in pretending to know what they're looking at, and then show off their money by pissing it away on something that has no value other than boosting their own self-absorbed image for others to admire. The admiration is not the "art", but each other's status of being in the special club.

Dude, I've been saying that for a decade. That's why we started Life Is Art.
coach

What do you do?

Postby JMT on 26 May 2017 15:43

coach wrote:
slamminshaun wrote:

Dude, I've been saying that for a decade. That's why we started Life Is Art.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
JMT

Postby coach on 30 May 2017 13:14

It's more likely you just have know clue what I'm doing or what I'm about. Maybe if you ever came to one of our events, you'd have a better idea. I've even offered to comp anyone here.

But, anyone who knows me even a little should know that I do not consider Art Basel a boon to our art scene. Sure, it is awesome that the local community can see tons of art from all over the world at the various art shows. It's great for hotels and restaurants. But, as an economic engine for our local art scene, it's probably more negative than positive. I'm not quiet about that, so pretty much anyone who knows me know I think that.
coach

What do you do?

Postby pod on 30 May 2017 14:16

Local artists are seriously underrepresented in Basel.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Next

Return to talk about Anything