Miami night club news from the source

Automate or perish

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby TechJunkie on 16 Mar 2017 15:36

Automate or perish

If you're not actively working on automating your own job away then you are at risk.

I had to explain this just now to somebody on my team who is at risk because he's not actively working on automating his own job away, and I wanted to share because it seems generally relevant.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby Wayne S. Noches on 16 Mar 2017 19:06

Re: Automate or perish

Wayne S. Noches

Purpose of your visit?: News
Dogs...can you hear me, Dogs?

Postby TechJunkie on 16 Mar 2017 20:50

Player Piano is the first novel of American writer Kurt Vonnegut, published in 1952. It depicts a dystopia of automation, describing the negative impact it can have on quality of life. The story takes place in a near-future society that is almost totally mechanized, eliminating the need for human laborers. This widespread mechanization creates conflict between the wealthy upper class—the engineers and managers who keep society running—and the lower class, whose skills and purpose in society have been replaced by machines.
TechJunkie

Postby coach on 23 Mar 2017 13:45

TechJunkie wrote:If you're not actively working on automating your own job away then you are at risk.

Are you working at automating your own job away?
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby LeVeL on 23 Mar 2017 14:49

TechJunkie wrote:If you're not actively working on automating your own job away then you are at risk.

I had to explain this just now to somebody on my team who is at risk because he's not actively working on automating his own job away, and I wanted to share because it seems generally relevant.

Does your employee know that he is being publicly criticized on a Nightlife Forum full of Right Wingers and Conspiracy Theorist?
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby TechJunkie on 23 Mar 2017 20:33

coach wrote:

Yes I work on that every day. And everybody under me who wants to keep their job is also working every day on automating their own jobs. Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis. Learn it, live it, love it.

LeVeL wrote:

Does your employee know that he is being publicly criticized on a Nightlife Forum full of Right Wingers and Conspiracy Theorist?

Yes. This thread was a message. For somebody who either got the message or who will need to find some other job security strategy.
TechJunkie

Postby LeVeL on 27 Mar 2017 15:00

So did he Perish?
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby TechJunkie on 27 Mar 2017 15:40

I invoked the emergency Peter Principle mitigation protocol and redefined his role to save his job. Getting bailed out by that isn't a good long-term career growth strategy.
TechJunkie

Postby coach on 30 Mar 2017 12:36

TechJunkie wrote:
coach wrote:

Yes I work on that every day.

That's funny because it wasn't too long ago when you asserted vehemently that your job could not be automated when I suggested that indeed it could and would.

So, what's the scenario here? You automate your job away and then the corporation saves money on your salary (minus the cost of purchase and upkeep on the Tech-bot), then you're fired. But, do you get any, let's say royalties, off of the extra money they are making now that you automated yourself? What if they sell your technology, do you get royalties off that?

It's interesting that this is an exact parallel to the old recording industry. The record labels would pay bands to automate themselves by making a recording. Most bands were paid as work-made-for-hire, which means they got paid once for the session, but then the label owned that recording of the session.

At that point, the artists were pretty much out of the picture. They got paid for their time and that's it. The company could create and sell as many duplicates as they wanted. The company could get paid for radio plays. The company could even sell the master of that session to a different company, and make a big profit, and the artists never got any of that.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby TechJunkie on 30 Mar 2017 15:27

coach wrote:
TechJunkie wrote:
coach wrote:Are you working at automating your own job away?

Yes I work on that every day.

That's funny because it wasn't too long ago when you asserted vehemently that your job could not be automated when I suggested that indeed it could and would.

You think you found a contradiction but you didn't. My job is to automate my own job, or to build out people and delegate things to them. I prefer the former.

coach wrote:So, what's the scenario here? You automate your job away and then the corporation saves money on your salary (minus the cost of purchase and upkeep on the Tech-bot), then you're fired. But, do you get any, let's say royalties, off of the extra money they are making now that you automated yourself? What if they sell your technology, do you get royalties off that?

Companies don't get rid of the people who are effective at maximizing efficiency through automation. Those are the people who get promoted and who end up responsible for more stuff. That was the point of this thread: You're in an existential fight against your job getting automated and the way to stay on top is to be the one who automates it.

coach wrote:It's interesting that this is an exact parallel to the old recording industry. The record labels would pay bands to automate themselves by making a recording. Most bands were paid as work-made-for-hire, which means they got paid once for the session, but then the label owned that recording of the session.

At that point, the artists were pretty much out of the picture. They got paid for their time and that's it. The company could create and sell as many duplicates as they wanted. The company could get paid for radio plays. The company could even sell the master of that session to a different company, and make a big profit, and the artists never got any of that.

And who won that game before technology disrupted it? The automators. I'm not talking about the artists. They're not the ones who figured out who to replace themselves with machines. If you want to win the fight against automation you have to be one of the automators.
TechJunkie

Return to talk about Anything