Miami night club news from the source

Decoding Generation Z

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby TechJunkie on 29 Jun 2016 09:59

Decoding Generation Z

Millennials are hard enough to deal with, now we have a whole new crop emerging and we can barely even understand them. Generation Z is the post-Millenial group with birth dates starting around 1995, and they speak in some kind of cryptic emoji language since they communicate with one another almost entirely through social media. Some of us have to figure out how to communicate with them, since some of them are old enough to drink now. Fortunately for marketers like us, McCann Worldwide provides a glossary for decoding their Vine-inspired dialect:

http://atogenz.com

Zayum Daniel, that site is on fleek.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby coach on 29 Jun 2016 12:12

Re: Decoding Generation Z

Millenials were the first full generation to grow up without parents. They were the first generation where a large percentage of homes had both parents working full-time (or more) jobs. Anybody remember when we used to call them latchkey children? Now those latchkeys are grown up.

Also, they were the first generation to grow up entirely with 100+ TV channels.

Now, Gen Z is being raised by adults who had no parents and 100+ TV channels. They are also the first generation to be fully digitally-connected.

From what I can tell, the impacts of these situations has not been studied very well. #unintendedconsequences
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby pod on 29 Jun 2016 13:04

It is interesting from a social standpoint. Think about it. The kids live in a world where every waking moment can be conceivably documented on a social media network.

Also, think about how parenting has changed. When we grew up, it wasn't a huge thing if our parents didn't know precisely where we were at any given moment. During the summer, you went "out" and came home for lunch and dinner.

"Come home when the streetlights come on!"

Whether your lifestyle was urban, suburban, or rural, that's how it was. You played ball or whatever, maybe did some dumb shit, but your parents never knew precisely where you were. They figured you were "around" while they were at work. As long as you didn't do something too egregious, it was all good.

Nowadays, kids, and even teenagers during downtime are scheduled out the wazoo. Summer camps, "playdates", and so on. Some of Ms Pod's son's friends have their lives scheduled down to the minute. It's very disconcerting.

And furthermore, if they're let off the leash, they are tracked. The older kids have smartphones and the parents have the login. Find My iPhone and you know where your kid is. Kids are being raised to think continuous monitoring is OK.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby JMT on 29 Jun 2016 14:16

coach wrote:Millenials were the first full generation to grow up without parents. They were the first generation where a large percentage of homes had both parents working full-time (or more) jobs. Anybody remember when we used to call them latchkey children? Now those latchkeys are grown up.

Also, they were the first generation to grow up entirely with 100+ TV channels.

Now, Gen Z is being raised by adults who had no parents and 100+ TV channels. They are also the first generation to be fully digitally-connected.

From what I can tell, the impacts of these situations has not been studied very well. #unintendedconsequences

This is one of those times we agree.
JMT

Postby pod on 29 Jun 2016 14:50

Indeed. I'm not mad at Coach for cutting me off on Miami Ave on Monday anymore.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby TechJunkie on 29 Jun 2016 15:16

There is a completely different parenting style that's really big now that seems to be a lot more common among the parents of my daughter's generation, at the tail end of Generation Z. It's the opposite of the abandonment parenting that you guys are talking about. Look up "attachment parenting". It's huge. I'm the poster boy.

And the Waldorf thing where they don't expose kids to any kind of screen is also big. Related term: "drone parenting", an even-more-intense variant of helicopter parenting.

The famously controversial Time Magazine cover about attachment parenting:

attachment-parenting-cover-0512.jpg
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby pod on 29 Jun 2016 16:57

Man, I wouldn't want to be a kid nowadays. No opportunity for shenanigans.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby coach on 01 Jul 2016 14:19

The most interesting thing to me, and I mean interesting in a bad way, is that all of this was actually predicted. For those who lived through the beginning of the Millenials as an adult, you will remember all the warnings about latchkey children.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latchkey_kid

Turns out I'm a bit off on my timelines, according to this, my cohort, Generation X, was where they started using Latchkey Kids as a common descriptor. Then that also means that Millenials were raised by parents who learned that lack of parents is the norm. We don't really hear the term Latchkey Kid much, anymore, because of that normalization.

Alternatively, that may also be one reason for the Gen X's overcompensation for their own children, helicopter parenting.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby pod on 01 Jul 2016 14:50

coach wrote:The most interesting thing to me, and I mean interesting in a bad way, is that all of this was actually predicted. For those who lived through the beginning of the Millenials as an adult, you will remember all the warnings about latchkey children.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latchkey_kid

Turns out I'm a bit off on my timelines, according to this, my cohort, Generation X, was where they started using Latchkey Kids as a common descriptor. Then that also means that Millenials were raised by parents who learned that lack of parents is the norm. We don't really hear the term Latchkey Kid much, anymore, because of that normalization.

Alternatively, that may also be one reason for the Gen X's overcompensation for their own children, helicopter parenting.

That's a good way of putting it. I see a lot of Space cadets from back in the day who now have kids, and those children are pretty much chipped like dogs.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby JMT on 04 Aug 2016 17:00

JMT

Next

Return to talk about Anything