Miami night club news from the source

Human drivers vs. autonomous vehicles

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby TechJunkie on 19 Apr 2016 13:57

Re: Human drivers vs. autonomous vehicles

It's not hard to suspend a license and require a court appearance. Money isn't the only way to impose a cost. Rich people can easily pay thousand-dollar fines but it's even more of a burden for them to show up in court than it is for poor people. Look at how the high-earners struggle to get out of it when they get jury duty.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby pod on 19 Apr 2016 14:11

TechJunkie wrote:It's not hard to suspend a license and require a court appearance. Money isn't the only way to impose a cost. Rich people can easily pay thousand-dollar fines but it's even more of a burden for them to show up in court than it is for poor people. Look at how the high-earners struggle to get out of it when they get jury duty.

I actually get a kick out of jury duty. I grandstand and get thrown out. It's worked three for three. I get a nice certificate and a thank-you afterwards.

As for traffic fines, there's crafty ways around it if you are rich.

Coach can make everyone wear grey and be broke. That'll solve it!
pod
Kaptain Kook

Purpose of your visit?: ASIC
Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby TechJunkie on 19 Apr 2016 14:30

pod wrote:I actually get a kick out of jury duty.

You don't get paid $500/hr. People who do tend to come up with all kinds of crazy excused to get out of jury duty. I saw some self-important entrepreneur come within about an inch of a contempt charge for all of the crazy and obvious lies that she was telling during jury selection to try to get out of it.

Anyway, we have a system that's designed to make it cheap and easy for anybody to own and operate a vehicle. That needs to change. For the benefit of all of society. As people have pointed out before, one of the first things that will change will be that there will be increasing numbers of places where it won't be legal to drive a car manually.

Fahrvergnügen types like you can go and rent race cars in Las Vegas to get your manual piloting fix.
TechJunkie

Postby pod on 19 Apr 2016 14:34

I have Moroso. I needn't trouble the good citizens of Nevada with my august presence.

And your $500/hr type is either cocky or dumb. Or both.

Just research jury nullification and act like you know what's up when the questioning portion comes up. Government hates people who think doing the right thing supersedes the law.

I've never been in the jury pool for more than 3 hours at a stretch.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Purpose of your visit?: ASIC
Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby TechJunkie on 20 May 2016 07:45

Another driver blames Tesla Model S for the accident

We had reported earlier about a case in Utah where driver, Jared Overton alleged Tesla Model S to have crashed on its own.

Now we are seeing another driver of a Tesla Model S in California who is blaming the electric vehicle’s Autopilot function and its failure to effectively engage the automobile’s braking system for a crash on Interstate 5. As per Ars Technica, Tesla motorist Arianna Simpson says her April 26 accident was the outcome of Tesla’s Auto-pilot feature not appropriately engaging its collision-avoidance function. As a result, she used the brakes too late and rear-ended the car in front of her at about 40 miles per hour. Although no one was injured in the accident.

Tesla states that just before the accident, Simpson disengaged Auto-pilot’s emergency-braking system by striking the brakes and taking the steering wheel. “Since the release of Autopilot, we’ve constantly informed clients on using the feature, reminding them that they’re responsible for staying alert and present when utilizing Auto-pilot and has to be prepared to take control at all times,” the company included a declaration to Autoblog. “Auto-pilot is without a doubt the most innovative such system on the road, however it does not turn a Tesla into a self-driving vehicle and does not permit the motorist to renounce duty.”
TechJunkie

Postby TechJunkie on 25 May 2016 17:18

phpBB [media]
TechJunkie

Postby coach on 26 May 2016 13:11

Have you seen the new commercials for the automated cars, already? Not the fully automated ones, but there are plenty with auto-braking for when you are talking to your daughter, self-parallel-parking for when you are on the phone, auto-accident avoiding for when you are distracted, etc. People are already being trained that computers are better drivers than they are (which is true). By the time cars are fully auto, the change from the previous incremental iteration will be slow slight, no one will notice.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby TechJunkie on 26 May 2016 13:43

Tesla claims that their autopilot is already twice as safe as a human driver. But that's cheating to say that because their autopilot can't handle the full range of driving scenarios. It will just give up and expect you to rescue it when it has a problem. Humans don't have that luxury. Yet.
TechJunkie

Postby coach on 26 May 2016 20:19

I don't think autonomous vehicles will really be a LOT safer until humans are eliminated from all driving. The real safety comes from the vehicles ability to communicate with each other instantly through the net. That way if one vehicle needs to merge, it can let the others know so they can make a spot. If one needs to brake to avoid a squirrel, it can communicate that back to the ones behind it so there is no danger of rear-ending. Information travels at the speed of light, instead of the speed of thought, and line-of-site no longer becomes an issue.

Obviously no system is perfect.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby TechJunkie on 01 Jul 2016 10:38

Human decapitated by Tesla autopilot:

What we know is that the vehicle was on a divided highway with Autopilot engaged when a tractor trailer drove across the highway perpendicular to the Model S. Neither Autopilot nor the driver noticed the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky, so the brake was not applied. The high ride height of the trailer combined with its positioning across the road and the extremely rare circumstances of the impact caused the Model S to pass under the trailer, with the bottom of the trailer impacting the windshield of the Model S.

more...

Humans: 0, Autonomous vehicles: 1
TechJunkie

PreviousNext

Return to talk about Anything