Miami night club news from the source

Courageous

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby coach on 06 Apr 2016 11:24

Re: Courageous

This is what I said about that a few days ago:
We need to stop being controlled by our genetics. Are we thinking beings or are we beasts? Beasts are controlled by their genetics, by inborn instincts that they cannot change. If we are truly thinking, self-aware conscious beings, then we can break the rule of our genetics. Not only can we, but we should. If we allow ourselves to continue to be ruled by genetics, then we prove that we are nothing more than the unthinking beasts.

I think it went over most people's head.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby pod on 06 Apr 2016 12:13

Nobody probably saw it, so thanks for reposting. What separates us from the beasts is the ability to overcome our genetic tendencies, as you say, for good or for ill. Genetically we're programmed to be fruitful and multiply, but most people limit that to one kid or none, even. Despite the fact we're supposed to have armies of our progeny marching around, if "nature" were followed exclusively.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby coach on 06 Apr 2016 16:00

Oh, I meant I posted it originally on Facebook.

In very little time, assuming we don't bomb ourselves to oblivion, we are pretty much going to be able to rewrite our genetic code. Want 4 arms to hold more coffee? Sure thing, there you go. Want a unicorn horn? Not a problem. Want purple skin, yup, easy. The sorts of minor body modification as described in the article are just barely the tip of the iceberg compared to the types of modifications that we will be able to do within our lifetimes.

Assuming we follow the current rate of exponential advance to technology, there is reason to believe that we will be able to achieve full genetic rewriting within 20 years. If not that, at least enough to do significant cosmetic changes.

At some point, we need to step away to our fundamentalist genetic worship. This is not just a regressive religious issue, I have seen this in plenty of "nones" (non-religious). Shaming over tattoos, unusual piercings and other bodymods, like those above, is rampant. People need to get over it.

Like I said, this ability to modify our bodies is one of the main differentiators between humans and the beasts. Many people say it is tool use, but many animals use tools, even down to birds and bugs. Many people say self-awareness, I say prove it. But, as far as I know, the ability to break out of the genetic slavery that every being has been part of for eons is the one thing that no other creature can do.

Not only that, but it is likely to be the savior of the human race. As we continue to destroy our environment, it is going to become necessary to rapidly adapt to new conditions. How about living and breathing underwater? That would open up a lot more space to put people. We may need to survive temperatures that are deadly low or high. Can't get enough food? How about some photosynthesis? Moving into space? Well, we are going to need some significant modifications to survive comfortably in micro-gravity.

To be fair, these modifications will likely be a combination of genetic manipulation and technological additions. Will it be easier to genetically modify someone to grow gills or just have cybernetic gills implanted? That remains to be seen, but it still amounts to the same thing, body modification.

But until we can get over this weird regressive body and genetic worship that so many people have, we cannot make those advances. And, if we resist the advances available to us, for no good reason, then we might as well just be dumb animals.
coach

What do you do?

Postby pod on 06 Apr 2016 16:50

If someone wants to modify themselves, fine. Do it. Don't expect me to contribute though.

Let's leave modifications-for-lifesaving-covered-by-insurance out of it for now.

That being said, the precedents are already there. There's already been scientific and sensational articles on "designer babies" and so on. And movies:

GATTACA - your station in life is determined in part by your genetics. Rich folk who can afford to tailor their children to be genetically amazing get better jobs. People who leave it to chance have a harder time.

Star Trek DS9 had an episode where the good doctor, Bashir, was revealed to be genetically modified, in defiance of Federation laws. In the ST world, genetic engineering is a huge taboo. In TNG, they encountered plenty of alien worlds where genetic engineering was practice and everyone on the good ship Enterprise had a conniption about it.

Now, what will win first? Genetic engineering or bioelectronic? I don't have to delve too much into sci-fi on cyborgs. It's a favorite trope.

However, here's the kicker...it's one thing to use any sort of genetic engineering or cybernetic enhancement to save a life. What about becoming better than a baseline human? Six-million dollar man and all...

Of course this could all be rendered moot if we just live as data.

(yes Tech I know I know monthly reminder...)
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby coach on 07 Apr 2016 00:17

pod wrote:Star Trek DS9 had an episode where the good doctor, Bashir, was revealed to be genetically modified, in defiance of Federation laws. In the ST world, genetic engineering is a huge taboo. In TNG, they encountered plenty of alien worlds where genetic engineering was practice and everyone on the good ship Enterprise had a conniption about it.

I think that this was just to save on special effects. Imagine how much it would cost if everyone had fun bodmods.

pod wrote:However, here's the kicker...it's one thing to use any sort of genetic engineering or cybernetic enhancement to save a life. What about becoming better than a baseline human? Six-million dollar man and all...

This is exactly my point. We need to move beyond the genetic slavery we have endured for millennia.
coach

What do you do?

Postby pod on 07 Apr 2016 07:31

You're Mr Egalitarian. Supercharged body modifications cost money...the rich will be able to afford the best of the best, while the poor will be left with secondhand upgrades or will have to stay natural.

Unless you propose enforcing cyborg-equality at gunpoint...
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby JMT on 02 Mar 2017 11:22

JMT

Postby LeVeL on 02 Mar 2017 13:19

that is really cool. Definitely thinking outside of the box
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby pod on 02 Mar 2017 13:27

Hey if he/she wants to do it, fine. Not my bag, but one has full ownership over one's own body.

Ob: just don't ask me to pay for it.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Next

Return to talk about Anything