Miami night club news from the source

Obama signs education reform bill.

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby pod on 11 Dec 2015 08:58

Re: Obama signs education reform bill.

Wait, both your kids go to Montessori schools. I figured it out. Shaun is Tech or Tech is Shaun. This is just merely some sort of perverted entertainment!

/sarcasm of course in case someone asks.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby TechJunkie on 11 Dec 2015 09:58

This is a little embarrassing, but I only realized just now after walking out of my kid's class why it is that there are so many Italian kids in her class any why there are so many Maseratis and Alphas and Fiats in the drop-off line. My kid is one of only two Americans in a class of about 20 (with four teachers) and the biggest group is definitely the Italians. Now I feel pretty stupid for not figuring out why before now.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby slamminshaun on 11 Dec 2015 10:05

TechJunkie wrote:This is a little embarrassing, but I only realized just now after walking out of my kid's class why it is that there are so many Italian kids in her class any why there are so many Maseratis and Alphas and Fiats in the drop-off line. My kid is one of only two Americans in a class of about 20 (with four teachers) and the biggest group is definitely the Italians. Now I feel pretty stupid for not figuring out why before now.

Your school didn't have a critical thinking class apparently. If you had just taken this magical class that downloads critical thinking skills into your brain, you would have figured it all out by now.

TechJunkie wrote:And do you seriously think that my kid's preschool has a 'critical thinking' class for three-year-olds?

A critical thinking class for 3 year olds is just as ridiculous as a critical thinking class for 18 year olds.
slamminshaun

Purpose of your visit?: No reason.

Postby coach on 11 Dec 2015 13:15

Hey, I went to Montessori. Actually, I went to something called a "Free School", but I believe it was based on the Montessori method before that name became popular. I'm not sure what the actual name of the methodology was, since I was like 5, but we called it free school.

Then I moved to Texas and ended up in regular iron-chair school. Needless to say, I never did well in school after that. I just figured out why.

If you are going to federally mandate anything, it should be Montessori.

As I've mentioned before, the issue is that the amount of knowledge needed to do well in life has massively increased since the industrial revolution, and even more massively since the digital revolution, yet no one has figured out how to cram the extra knowledge into the same school period. One of the big problems is that people do not even admit or understand what the problem is.

When all you had to do was the 3R's, basic writing skills, reading and simple arithmetic, some general history and such, sure you could learn it all in 6 hours per day, 9 months per year in 12 years. Most of what you needed to know for your career, you could learn from your pa or uncle Bob as you helped them around their job, blacksmithing, farming, running the local store. Or, maybe you were just getting enough knowledge to be a linesman on a manufacturing line, still not a lot of complex knowledge needed.

Nowadays, even basic careers require much more complex knowledge. Until we admit that and understand that we are trying to teach more knowledge in the same amount of time, we will never going to be able to even approach a fix. Testing cannot fix the fact that little Bobby can only absorb so much knowledge per hour until his little brain melts down.

I don't know the fix, but I do know that the first step is properly identifying the problem, which has not yet been done.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby pod on 11 Dec 2015 13:35

One thing I'm a proponent of is identifying and focusing on interests early in someone's academic career. Yes, kids need a lot more knowledge to compete these days, but just shoving terabytes of data into their brain accomplishes nothing, unless there's a focus.

Let's be honest here. A kid who shows an aptitude in the arts isn't going to suddenly change gears and aspire to go work for SpaceX. He's gonna probably want to be involved in the arts somehow. So, early on, get him into the arts program.

Maybe the kid likes to tinker with electronics. EE path for you, son.

Maybe the kid likes to mess around with engines. There's absolutely no shame in being a mechanic. You can specialize in BMW and charge top dollar for your services.

Yes there needs to be a baseline. The 3Rs, and a healthy dose of technical literacy. No, posting an ad on Facebook doesn't count. Everyone should know the basics of at least one programming language. But beyond that, there needs to be specialization encouraged at an early age.

Whether it's accomplished via private or public resources is up for another debate.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby TechJunkie on 11 Dec 2015 14:01

I'm using a Bee Bot to teach my three-year-old to program a computer. Teaching a very young kid the concept of programming a computer is not that difficult. "You make a list of instructions. Then you press go. It processes the instructions." There you go, now you know how to program a computer too.

She has already asked me to help her to build a computer so we're going to build a Raspberry Pi workbench soon so that we can figure out how to use it to control a Roominate dollhouse.

That's outside of the scope of what the Montessori school teaches about computers but I have a feeling I'm going to get roped into building a Raspberry Pi / Roominate system for the school soon. And I guess I'll probably be paying for it.
TechJunkie

Postby norah on 11 Dec 2015 14:09

Wait until you sit with your kids doing homework and you struggle with some of the ridiculous Common Core logic. Luckily things have worked out for us so far, fingers crossed.

And I did not send my kid to Montessori Kindergarten. I guess I am one of those mean parents who caged her kid in a play based environment and old school Catholic private school. Guess what? It is working out just fine and I don't need to advertise it! :roll:
norah

Purpose of your visit?: Banter

Postby pod on 11 Dec 2015 14:14

norah wrote:Wait until you sit with your kids doing homework and you struggle with some of the ridiculous Common Core logic. Luckily things have worked out for us so far, fingers crossed.

And I did not send my kid to Montessori Kindergarten. I guess I am one of those mean parents who caged her kid in a play based environment and old school Catholic private school. Guess what? It is working out just fine and I don't need to advertise it! :roll:

I get roped into that crap sometimes along with Ms Pod. We know the answer, just not via the kooky Common Core method.

And yes, each child needs an educational plan that fits them. The problem with federal oversight is that it doesn't allow for this. At least bringing it to the state level again gives things a little more wiggle room.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby TechJunkie on 11 Dec 2015 14:35

I would have bombed Common Core math as a kid. There were things that I simply refused to learn, like long division. Today I might have been held back for it. Back then my teachers recognized my ... eccentricity? as some kind of potential so they mostly let it slide.

I ended up earning a math degree.

(I still can't do long division and I'm not interested in trying. Even in 1985 it was obvious to me that I would never need to do that.)
TechJunkie

Postby norah on 11 Dec 2015 14:40

How each child absorbs the material greatly varies. I know some parents in my son's class who really struggle and this I see on the daily because they are very vocal about Common Core.

His teacher has told me though that his class as a whole averages higher than our local public schools, reading and math. This we know, thanks to the testing scores. I also don't have a problem with testing kids. I feel that's a topic like vaccines, some love, some hate and some feel is not necessary.
norah

Purpose of your visit?: Banter

PreviousNext

Return to talk about Anything