Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby pod on 10 Dec 2015 18:43

Obama signs education reform bill.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStor ... s-35687076

Here's how the major stakeholders fare:

———

TEACHERS

The new law eliminates the federal mandate that teacher evaluations be tied to student performance on the statewide tests. Teachers' unions hated that idea, saying the high stakes associated with the tests were creating a culture of over-testing and detracting from the learning environment. States and districts will still be able, but not required, to link scores or consider them as a factor in teacher performance reviews.

———

STUDENTS

Don't start applauding yet, kids. The nation's 50 million students in public schools will still have to take the federally mandated statewide reading and math exams in grades three to eight and once in high school — so parents, teachers and others can see how they are doing against a common measuring stick. But the law also encourages states to set caps on the amount of time students spend on testing.

More children from low- and moderate-income families will have access to preschool through a new grant program that is to use existing funding to support state efforts.

———

SCHOOLS

No more Common Core — maybe.

The law says the federal government may not mandate or give states incentives to adopt or maintain any particular set of academic standards, such as Common Core.

The college and career-ready curriculum guidelines were created by the states but became a flashpoint for those critical of Washington's influence in schools. The administration offered grants through its Race to the Top program for states that adopted strong academic standards for students.

Already, some states have begun backing away from Common Core.

———

PARENTS

The law provides for more transparency about test scores, meaning parents and others in the community will get a better look at how students in their states and in local schools are doing. It requires that test scores be broken down by race, family income and disability status.

Parents also will be able to see how per-pupil funding breaks down by state, district and school.

———

STATES

States and districts will now be responsible for coming up with their own goals for schools, designing their own measures of achievement and progress, and deciding independently how to turn around struggling schools. Testing will be one factor considered, but graduation rates and education atmosphere could also be factored in.

To make sure all children get a fair shot at a quality education, states will be required to intervene in the lowest-performing 5 percent of schools, in high schools with high dropout rates and in schools with stubborn achievement gaps.

———

DIMINISHED FEDERAL ROLE

The measure substantially limits the federal government's role, barring the Education Department from telling states and local districts how to assess school and teacher performance.

The measure also ends the waivers the Obama administration has given to more than 40 states — exemptions granted around the more onerous parts of No Child when it became clear that requirements such as having all students proficient in reading and math by 2014 would not be met.

I understand every good decision by a politician comes with a price. The price here is probably Obama got some support from some fence-sitters who may lean R next year.

I don't credit him though since the dirty work was done by the legislature. Which is kind of how it's supposed to work.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby TechJunkie on 10 Dec 2015 18:53

Re: Obama signs education reform bill.

Shaun rejoices!

phpBB [media]
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby pod on 10 Dec 2015 19:02

The individual state DoEs can choose whether to keep Common Core or not. It's not an overreaching federal mandate, which isn't practical or wanted.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby TechJunkie on 10 Dec 2015 20:40

Right, and so Shaun will be thrilled about this because Common Core is part of a plan by a secret fifth-column of Bolsheviks within the US government that's aimed at brainwashing children into becoming communist worker drones. Common Core is "Soviet polytech workforce training", aimed at merging the United States with the Soviet Union. They're trying to turn humans into "carbon units" that won't be able to talk. They're doing it partly by teaching children "critical thinking", which means "Marxist thinking".

slamminshaun wrote:The problems with our government schooling system are intentional. Change agents have been working for 100 years to change the school system...not to improve education but to promote a collectivist agenda. Their goal is to create a curriculum that will mold obedient, docile citizens who no longer have the knowledge or skills to improve their lot in life, but instead are dependent on their government & corporate overlords for survival. And it works. Look around, the evidence is everywhere.

Want to know more? Read "Deliberate Dumbing Down of America" by Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt. Get a FREE e-copy at her website....

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/

For a preview, watch this....

TechJunkie

Postby pod on 10 Dec 2015 20:57

Well now Shaun, or anyone else for that matter, can move to a state that has an educational system that suits their needs if they don't jive with whatever the state they are in is teaching. Regardless of Common Core, I'm all for more local control over education. People in DC don't know the unique needs of Florida. Yeah I know it's all politicized, but it's a step in the right direction. Decentralize...
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby slamminshaun on 10 Dec 2015 21:29

pod wrote:Well now Shaun, or anyone else for that matter, can move to a state that has an educational system that suits their needs if they don't jive with whatever the state they are in is teaching. Regardless of Common Core, I'm all for more local control over education. People in DC don't know the unique needs of Florida. Yeah I know it's all politicized, but it's a step in the right direction. Decentralize...

Every state has Montessori schools, so there's no need for His Clairvoyance to move.

Iserbyt wasn't the only one who understood government education has nothing to do with education, that calling something critical thinking doesn't make it critical thinking, that claiming to read a 700 page book in 2 hours, doesn't mean you actually read a 700 page book in 2 hours, that deleting posts doesn't change the fact others saw it and busted you on it...

phpBB [media]
slamminshaun

Purpose of your visit?: No reason.

Postby pod on 10 Dec 2015 21:43

Of course. Funny, you and Tech loathe each other, but yet you both send your kids to the same type of school.

That being said, it's truly a sad state of affairs when even a small sign of decentralization is a good one. We've centralized so much that one tiny inch back, and it's party time...
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby TechJunkie on 10 Dec 2015 22:32

My kid saw a picture of a baby in a crib tonight and she didn't understand why that baby was in a cage. She was totally confused about why the kid was in jail. That's how Montessori we are. It's a lifestyle. My living room looks exactly like a Montessori classroom. Shaun just pays tuition. But Shaun, if you were paying attention then you would know that the commies have even gotten private schools like your kid's Montessori school under the brainwashing influence of the Marxist worker indoctrination program.

And Shaun, if I didn't read her book then how come I understand what she's saying? How could I be so entertained by the raving, batshit-insane conspiracy theorist who you endorsed? You could actually read all thirty pages of prose in her book in about as long as it takes to watch that hilarious Alex Jones video about how the Department of Education is part of a Trotskyite neo-conservative conspiracy to merge the US and the Soviet Union. (Shhh, don't tell her that there is not a Soviet Union any more, it's way more fun this way.)

Try watching just a fraction of that Alex Jones interview without laughing out loud, it's impossible. (Watch for the cat, but the cat is not the funniest part.) And she keeps saying, "Nobody believes me!" Yeah old lady, that's because you're barking mad. Raving lunatic with a tin foil hat. Look at the video and see if it doesn't jibe what I said about her book that Shaun loved. Great recommendation, Shaun!
TechJunkie

Postby slamminshaun on 11 Dec 2015 07:41

pod wrote:Of course. Funny, you and Tech loathe each other, but yet you both send your kids to the same type of school.

It is funny. If anyone actually followed his posts anymore, you'd have to assume that he proudly sends his kid to a government school because they still offer critical thinking classes there, unlike those horrible Montessori schools which have never offered such classes. He criticizes the removal of critical thinking classes from government schools, but has no problem shelling out a lot of money so own his child can have the privilege of attending a school that has no critical thinking classes to begin with. LOL!

Slammer Lang: Loathe him? No, I don't loathe TechJunkie, but I pity the fool....

phpBB [media]
slamminshaun

Purpose of your visit?: No reason.

Postby TechJunkie on 11 Dec 2015 08:38

Haha no, I was making fun of the education activist who you endorsed who thinks that critical thinking really means "Marxist thinking". YOU are the one who was against teaching critical thinking, until you were for it.

And do you seriously think that my kid's preschool has a 'critical thinking' class for three-year-olds? They're teaching them to read, and to speak Spanish, and there is a "creative movement" class with adorable results. I guess the communist brainwashing starts later? Or ... let me guess: Montessori schools engage in Fascist brainwashing instead since it's Italian, right?
TechJunkie

Next

Return to talk about Anything