Miami night club news from the source

Hialeah Now Latest Hipster Hangout

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby Wayne S. Noches on 28 Nov 2015 15:37

Hialeah Now Latest Hipster Hangout

Miami’s Famous Cuban Neighborhood Now Latest Hipster Hangout

Hialeah, Miami’s funky, historically Cuban neighborhood, lately has emerged as a new hipster hangout. The LEAH Arts District is an engine of edginess, a neighborhood of old warehouses destined for artists’ studios featuring street murals by Kazilla and Nicole Salgar. Throughout the year, it hosts occasional festivals, with music by Miami stalwarts like Oscar G, and food trucks from the likes of Ms. Cheezious coordinated by Burger Beast. And now, Hialeah has joined the Art Basel fray, presenting CLIMA—an Xavier Cortada solo art exhibit concerned with sea level rise and climate change—at the Milander Center for Arts and Entertainment, on view from November 30 through January 29.
More
Wayne S. Noches

Purpose of your visit?: News
Dogs...can you hear me, Dogs?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby coach on 30 Nov 2015 13:56

Re: Hialeah Now Latest Hipster Hangout

While I love the people doing this, and this is certainly kudos to one of my BFFs who is doing PR for the area, this story is fairly premature. So far, the Leah Arts District has held 2 events, both very well attended, but that's it. Even at that, the majority of the attendees were locals, with a decent, but minority, percentage of Wynwood hipsters brought by the well-chosen artists, music and food trucks.

The Milander is a great space, but the attendees are almost exclusively local Hialeans.

I don't mean any disrespect to our fabulous muralists, but murals do not a revitalization zone make. There is this propagation of this myth that Goldman's Wynwood Walls were what made the difference in Wynwood. That myth is totally false. On the contrary, those murals were almost totally irrelevant to what built Wynwood (millions of dollars of marketing, lies, loss-leaders, fraud and the hard work of countless suckers).

I have told them how to build it sustainably, but, like many, they are not listening. I had the exact same conversation with West Kendall, who also didn't listen, and with Sweetwater, who seems to have actually paid attention. I am hoping that Sweetwater will follow up and we will see some real progress there. I'll let you know how it goes in a year or so.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby LeVeL on 30 Nov 2015 13:58

I laughed at the article. Its indeed premature and in no way is Hialeah even close to being the next Wynwood. A couple of art events doesn't mean a thing
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby coach on 30 Nov 2015 18:21

LeVeL wrote:I laughed at the article. Its indeed premature and in no way is Hialeah even close to being the next Wynwood. A couple of art events doesn't mean a thing

Exactly.

And this exactly illustrates the issue. When someone gets ahead of his or herself, everyone knows it and laughs at them, and then when they actually do have something useful to say, everyone assumes they are bullshitting again, just like they were before.

Titling the article something like, "An Art Start in Hialeah" would have been better. Don't overhype it. I mean, now if some hipster goes to Hialeah looking for hipsterish good times, they are going to be sorely disappointed and might not come back ever.

The problem is, nowadays all the media are embarrassed that they missed the Wynwood train. By the time most publications caught up to it, it was already years old and those of us originals had long since dubbed it cool. So, they are jumping all over Little Haiti, Hialeah, Liberty City, Downtown and others, trying to be the ones who "called it."

Meanwhile, most artists and even many galleries, are moving their businesses back into their home. The real truth is, there is no sustainable local art in Miami. No matter what the media or politicians claim. Even most of the "successful" that I know do not have their own studio, they just converted a room in their house.

The stupidest thing is that the only area that actually has a reasonable collection of art spaces collected together is Bird Road, and they get very little media love. It isn't big, not by any means, but there are more actual art spaces collected there than any other area right now. Calle Ocho runs a close second.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby JMT on 06 Jun 2017 10:38

Why Old-Timey Jobs Are Hot Again

Walk around parts of Brooklyn, Portland or Pittsburgh, and you’ll find stylish cocktail bars, barbers and the occasional butcher shop staffed by young, college-educated employees. For an affluent segment of today’s urban economy, these jobs have been revalued from low-status semi-manual labor to glamorous occupations, says sociologist Richard Ocejo.
JMT

Return to talk about Anything