Postby pod on 06 Mar 2017 16:36

Re: National Offend A College Student Day

17190523_1274013136015044_7740310248176860690_n.jpg
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby TechJunkie on 06 Mar 2017 18:45

No such Wikipedia page exists.

The Google SERP for "Third Battle of Berkeley" is pretty fun though.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby JMT on 06 Mar 2017 19:04

DEHUMANIZED.

"They had effectively dehumanized me." - Woman professor injured in attack by leftists

Despite identifying as a Democrat, Stanger encourages open debate in her classroom.
Leaving the event, Stanger was confronted with “an angry mob,” that repeatedly assaulted her as she tried protecting Murray. In this moment, Stanger “feared for [her] life.” Stanger later went to the hospital for a neck injury sustained during the attacks.
Describing the school’s initial reaction, Stanger expressed surprise that Middlebury faculty members “had rendered judgement on Dr. Murray’s work and character” despite “openly admitting that they had not read anything he had written.

phpBB [media]
JMT

Postby JMT on 06 Mar 2017 19:15

Princeton bans Star Wars theme party, because Storm troopers are Nazis!

JMT

Postby TechJunkie on 06 Mar 2017 20:10

JMT wrote:DEHUMANIZED.

"They had effectively dehumanized me." - Woman professor injured in attack by leftists

Despite identifying as a Democrat, Stanger encourages open debate in her classroom.
Leaving the event, Stanger was confronted with “an angry mob,” that repeatedly assaulted her as she tried protecting Murray. In this moment, Stanger “feared for [her] life.” Stanger later went to the hospital for a neck injury sustained during the attacks.
Describing the school’s initial reaction, Stanger expressed surprise that Middlebury faculty members “had rendered judgement on Dr. Murray’s work and character” despite “openly admitting that they had not read anything he had written.

phpBB [media]

Do you know what The Bell Curve is about? Serious question.

The Bell Curve was originally opposed by the left. But it seems that the modern-day right-to-alt-right-to-far-right crowd would oppose the idea of an intellectual elite even more. Isn't that what the election of 2016 was all about?

If you don't even know what I'm talking about, when where do you fall on the bell curve?
TechJunkie

Postby TechJunkie on 06 Mar 2017 20:16

Wikipedia wrote:Discussing a possible future political outcome of an intellectually stratified society, the authors stated that they "fear that a new kind of conservatism is becoming the dominant ideology of the affluent – not in the social tradition of an Edmund Burke or in the economic tradition of an Adam Smith but 'conservatism' along Latin American lines, where to be conservative has often meant doing whatever is necessary to preserve the mansions on the hills from the menace of the slums below." Moreover, they fear that increasing welfare will create a "custodial state" in "a high-tech and more lavish version of the Indian reservation for some substantial minority of the nation's population." They also predict increasing totalitarianism: "It is difficult to imagine the United States preserving its heritage of individualism, equal rights before the law, free people running their own lives, once it is accepted that a significant part of the population must be made permanent wards of the states."

Pod is our Trumpster poster boy, so Pod, what do you think about that excerpt? Murray and his co-author basically said, "Sorry, that's how the world works, deal with it." And people became enraged about that. They were the original, "Politically incorrect."

What do the people who 'won' the presidential election think of a totalitarian custodial state run by the intellectual elite that rejects individualism, where a significant part of the population are permanent wards of the state? I guess they embrace the revolting, devil's advocate positions from the book as sensible policy: sterilizing poor women and blocking immigration.

Pod, are you cheering for that guy like you cheer for Milo?
TechJunkie

Postby TechJunkie on 06 Mar 2017 21:20

Herrnstein and Murray didn't waste time with politically-correct terms like "Asperger Syndrome" or the "autism spectrum", they just talked about "idiot savants":

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 8.02.24 PM.png

The authors of the Bell Curve suggested that idiot savants should not strive for equality with normal people, and that they should expect to earn less money and have a lower socioeconomic status in life. They argued that equality is a dumb ideal, and that dumb people with less education should just shut up and be happy working on farms or building houses or whatever, and just face the fact that the cognitive elite are going to make more money and have nicer houses in nicer areas and have better lives.

We can all agree with that, right? Go, cognitive elite!

It is not news that the world is unfair.
TechJunkie

Postby pod on 07 Mar 2017 07:46

https://fee.org/articles/why-bash-the-f ... -the-left/

That’s not how it works. I understand that it is difficult when young people find themselves betrayed by “democracy.” It’s a stunning realization when you discover that a substantial part of the American population disagrees with you. After all, you took classes at the best schools, where they told you how smart you are; you gathered into discussion groups where “I feel that...” counts as an argument. You feel right now, for the first time, that the U.S. is heading in the wrong direction. Welcome to my world, except that I’ve had that feeling for decades.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby JMT on 07 Mar 2017 14:37

JMT

Postby TechJunkie on 07 Mar 2017 21:30

Wikipedia wrote:Censorship in the United Kingdom

Censorship in the United Kingdom has a long history with variously stringent and lax laws in place at different times.

British citizens have a negative right to freedom of expression under the common law. In 1998, the United Kingdom incorporated the European Convention, and the guarantee of freedom of expression it contains in Article 10, into its domestic law under the Human Rights Act. However, there is a broad sweep of exceptions including threatening or abusive words or behaviour intending or likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress or cause a breach of the peace (which has been used to prohibit racist speech targeted at individuals), sending another any article which is indecent or grossly offensive with an intent to cause distress or anxiety (which has been used to prohibit speech of a racist or anti-religious nature), incitement, incitement to racial hatred, incitement to religious hatred, incitement to terrorism including encouragement of terrorism and dissemination of terrorist publications, glorifying terrorism, collection or possession of a document or record containing information likely to be of use to a terrorist, treason including advocating for the abolition of the monarchy (which cannot be successfully prosecuted) or compassing or imagining the death of the monarch, sedition, obscenity, indecency including corruption of public morals and outraging public decency, defamation, prior restraint, restrictions on court reporting including names of victims and evidence and prejudicing or interfering with court proceedings, prohibition of post-trial interviews with jurors, time, manner, and place restrictions, harassment, privileged communications, trade secrets, classified material, copyright, patents, military conduct, and limitations on commercial speech such as advertising.
TechJunkie

PreviousNext

Return to talk about Anything