Miami night club news from the source

Do fast-food workers warrant being paid $15/hour?

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby TechJunkie on 26 Jan 2017 18:51

Re: Do fast-food workers warrant being paid $15/hour?

coach wrote:
TechJunkie wrote:It's hopeless unless Trump has a plan for convincing kids to learn about things like backpropagation and LSTM. If those jobs continue to go overseas then the US will definitely be screwed.

And where would kids learn that, exactly? Is it a required class in public schools?

Yeah see that's my point. Schools are not preparing students for the economy of tomorrow. The students on top in the economy of tomorrow will be the ones with non-standard education backgrounds who were exposed to new challenges and new skills and new ideas about what a "job" looks like in their future. And the ones who are self-motivated to follow some passion that involves marketable job skills. The students who just do what they're told and get straight As in the core classes are going to be screwed because public schools can't teach about backpropagation and LSTM. Partly because how are the teachers supposed to keep up with these things? And partly because of people like the education pundit who Shaun recommended that we learn about, who think that kids should ONLY be taught the traditional 'three Rs'.

Keeping up with constant change is itself a skill. Kids need to learn that. They need to understand that the days of having a manufacturing job for 30 years and then retiring on a pension are long gone. Bill Clinton got crucified for suggesting that people might have four or five different jobs over their lifetimes. It's true, deal with it. Everybody is an entrepeneur and the product that you sell is your own ability. The topics that you need to learn about to build your career today are things that might not have even been words a couple of years ago. Welcome to the postmodern Land Of Opportunity, where you get ahead by out-learning your competition.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby JMT on 01 Feb 2017 12:54

Japan’s robot chefs aim to show how far automation can go

Machines across the world already make sushi, noodles and pizzas. Now a Japanese amusement park has taken a leap of faith by creating a restaurant with more robots than human workers.

JMT

Postby coach on 01 Feb 2017 18:10

Just think, there will come a day when none of us have to do any work. Where all work will be automated. I think it will be in our lifetimes. Maybe towards the end of mine, but for you younger folk, you'll live through quite a lot of it. And you kids, it's gonna be all they know.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby TechJunkie on 01 Feb 2017 18:29

coach wrote:Just think, there will come a day when none of us have to do any work. Where all work will be automated. I think it will be in our lifetimes. Maybe towards the end of mine, but for you younger folk, you'll live through quite a lot of it. And you kids, it's gonna be all they know.

You might stop working in our lifetime but I won't. I'm still going to be orchestrating the technology that dictates the confines of other people's lives until I'm permanently incapacitated somehow.

I'm not sure if I'm bragging or complaining or what. But that's how it is.
TechJunkie

Postby coach on 03 Feb 2017 13:02

TechJunkie wrote:
coach wrote:Just think, there will come a day when none of us have to do any work. Where all work will be automated. I think it will be in our lifetimes. Maybe towards the end of mine, but for you younger folk, you'll live through quite a lot of it. And you kids, it's gonna be all they know.

You might stop working in our lifetime but I won't. I'm still going to be orchestrating the technology that dictates the confines of other people's lives until I'm permanently incapacitated somehow.

I'm not sure if I'm bragging or complaining or what. But that's how it is.

You're living a pipe dream, son. You keep thinking that they can't automate your job, but that's not the way things are going. No different than believing a wall will keep undocumented immigrants out.
coach

What do you do?

Postby TechJunkie on 03 Feb 2017 20:34

The people who automate jobs have a better grip on the state of things and I'm one of those people and that's why I'm not worried. Ask Musical Missionary about that some time. And I'm not worried for my daughter either. But I am worried for everybody else and their kids.
TechJunkie

Postby slamminshaun on 27 Feb 2017 20:01

Wendy's Unleashes 1,000 Robots To Counter Higher Labor Costs

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-2 ... abor-costs

Coach, how many of those recently unemployed people have you offered to sleep on your couch?

Seems only fair. Do the right thing man.
slamminshaun

Purpose of your visit?: No reason.

Postby pod on 27 Feb 2017 21:04

Easier to do the charitable giving bit at gunpoint I guess.

Though Jimbo, if you ever need a couch to crash on, just let me know. You're one of the good ones.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby slamminshaun on 27 Feb 2017 21:56

pod wrote:Easier to do the charitable giving bit at gunpoint I guess.

Though Jimbo, if you ever need a couch to crash on, just let me know. You're one of the good ones.

He is one of the good ones. He's like the Bernie Sanders of TNL. Misguided, but noble. Gotta love him.
slamminshaun

Purpose of your visit?: No reason.

Postby coach on 28 Feb 2017 15:35

slamminshaun wrote:Wendy's Unleashes 1,000 Robots To Counter Higher Labor Costs

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-2 ... abor-costs

Coach, how many of those recently unemployed people have you offered to sleep on your couch?

Seems only fair. Do the right thing man.

I see, Wendy's profits are WAY down, they are losing money hand over fist and need to find some way to cut costs. Those poor executives.

Oh wait, maybe you should fucking learn how to Google before you say stupid shit. They're making plenty of money. This money just goes back into their pocket to buy more yachts and hookers. This is just a continuation of the upward transfer of wealth that I've been talking about for like a decade. But you assfucks just keep trying to blame it on the victims who are just trying to feed their kids.

So, what's your plan, Shaun? Just gonna let those kids die in the street? Or are you going to give MASSIVE tax-supported subsidies to multi-billionaires to support those people they de-employed? Hm? That's pretty much your two option.

I mean, of course, there's always the option of taxing the billionaires, but jeezus we can't do that. Those are the job creators, remember what your Lord Reagan said. REMEMBER THE TRICKLE DOWN!!!
coach

What do you do?

PreviousNext

Return to talk about Anything