Miami night club news from the source

Do fast-food workers warrant being paid $15/hour?

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby pod on 15 Apr 2015 18:10

Do fast-food workers warrant being paid $15/hour?

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/0 ... o-mission/

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — Fast-food workers calling for $15 an hour are picking up some more allies around the Bay Area Wednesday.
Airport workers, home care workers, Walmart workers and adjunct professors are among those set to join in the ‘Fight for $15′ protests across the country, in what organizers are calling the biggest ever mobilization of workers in the U.S.
In San Francisco, about 60 people stormed a McDonald’s in the Mission District with megaphones and posters Wednesday morning.
The campaign is being spearheaded by the Service Employees International Union and began in late 2012. On Wednesday, organizers say protests for higher pay and union for low-wage workers are planned for more than 230 cities and college campuses.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby slamminshaun on 15 Apr 2015 20:12

Re: Do fast-food workers warrant being paid $15/hour?

Yes, as long as people are willing to pay $10 for a happy meal.
slamminshaun

Purpose of your visit?: No reason.

Postby pod on 15 Apr 2015 20:29

Doesn't a Happy Meal cost $10 anyways?
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby Dade on 15 Apr 2015 22:39

slamminshaun wrote:Yes, as long as people are willing to pay $10 for a happy meal.

Hyperbole much? McDonalds has said that raising the minimum wage to $10.10 would add $.17 to each meal. Since the people who eat at McDonalds would have gotten a big raise, they could afford it.
Dade

Postby pod on 16 Apr 2015 07:04

That's the issue with a lot of people, they are a bunch of penny-pinchers. It's like how a completely US-made iPhone would only cost about $100 more. If you can plunk down for an iPhone made in Red China, you can plunk down for one made in the US.

If you are fretting over 17 fucking cents, I have zero sympathy for you.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby JMT on 16 Apr 2015 08:17

Is the rest of America going to get a 50% raise too?
JMT

Postby LeVeL on 16 Apr 2015 09:01

I am happy with the minimum wage hike, though $15.00 an hour isn't much money in California. The City of Seattle already increased the minimum wage and I hope other cities do the same.

I would be more than happy to pay extra money for my Smartphone, if it's manufactured and built in the United States. It should be a source of pride actually.
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby pod on 16 Apr 2015 10:32

LeVeL wrote:I am happy with the minimum wage hike, though $15.00 an hour isn't much money in California. The City of Seattle already increased the minimum wage and I hope other cities do the same.

I would be more than happy to pay extra money for my Smartphone, if it's manufactured and built in the United States. It should be a source of pride actually.

Exactly. I wish it were possible to cut Red China out of the equation. I'd rather spend my money with US and European firms where at least I know the funds being spent support good people (for the most part) and not the ChiCom government.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby Dade on 16 Apr 2015 11:45

My Libertarian side has a problem with the government telling people what they have to pay employers but it's clear that, given the chance, companies will take advantage of desperate people.

Walmart is a great example. By paying their workers such low wages, they force all of us to pay for food stamps for many of those workers. This means that we are all subsidizing the biggest employer in America while the owners made $139m last year.

The only answer is a mandated minimum wage that lets people live above the poverty line and lets them feed their families. Trust me, the Waltons will still be just fine.
Dade

Postby pod on 16 Apr 2015 11:54

What if there were no social safety net and the Wal-Mart workers were forced to take more direct action to make a living wage? What if they unionized?
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Next

Return to talk about Anything