Miami night club news from the source

FAO Pod...gun question

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby Dade on 10 Apr 2015 15:41

FAO Pod...gun question

How can you and your NRA pals advocate for guns in schools...guns in churches...open carry...no background checks...but strictly not allow guns at the NRA convention because of safety and security concerns? If guns are safe everywhere, aren't they safe there?
Dade

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby pod on 10 Apr 2015 15:52

Re: FAO Pod...gun question

Dade wrote:How can you and your NRA pals advocate for guns in schools...guns in churches...open carry...no background checks...but strictly not allow guns at the NRA convention because of safety and security concerns? If guns are safe everywhere, aren't they safe there?

If you read beyond the Bloomberg agitprop, people who are licensed to carry are permitted to do so in the NRA convention proper. My license works in Tennessee, so if I were to be in attendance I could carry there too. There's no blanket prohibition just because the NRA is being hypocritical.

http://www.nraam.org/

During the 2015 NRA Annual Meeting & Exhibits, lawfully carried firearms will be permitted in the Music City Center with the proper license in accordance with Tennessee law. Bridgestone Arena prohibits the possession of firearms. When carrying your firearm, remember to follow all federal, state and local laws.

The firearms on display by the manufacturers are unloaded and in a safe condition to make absolutely sure no negligent discharges happen.

The Bridgestone Arena is a venue owned by a private entity that serves alcohol, thus no concealed or open carry is permitted unless you are an on-duty law enforcement officer, in accordance with Tennessee law.

If you have any other questions related to firearms, ammunition, the Second Amendment, case law with regards to such things, or issues related to safety, the effective handling of your guns (remember, breath control is key), or anything of that nature, I'll be glad to answer your questions or refer you to my extremely capable business associates.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby apotheosis on 10 Apr 2015 15:53

apotheosis

Purpose of your visit?: a

Postby Dade on 10 Apr 2015 15:54

You can not carry in the hall where the speeches are being given. So, Wayne LaPierre is happy to have guns in schools but doesn't feel so safe in a room full of them while he's on stage?
Dade

Postby pod on 10 Apr 2015 16:06

Ryan, it really isn't irony. While most pro-2A organizations dislike the laws, they never espouse violating them. If, for some damn reason, the NRA convention was held at the Javits Center in New York City, all firearms on display would have to be under glass and completely inert, since in New York State, you can't legally touch most firearms without having a license. Sure, it's not enforced in the sticks, but in cop-heavy NYC, you bet your ass it is.

Dade, the speeches by Wayne (he's a blowhard by the way) and the other NRA board members are in the Music City Hall, which is "good to go" if you choose to carry.

http://www.nraam.org/special-events/sch ... vents.aspx

From a quick perusal, all of the confirmed speeches are in the Music City Center. If one happens at Bridgestone, you gotta leave your smokewagons at home.

I've got shit to do today, gents, so please just get to the point already. I can't bat this issue back and forth for the umpteenth time. You guys don't care for my off-hours hobby, I get it.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby LeVeL on 10 Apr 2015 16:06

For as much as Pod and his NRA Gun Trotting buddies hate Obama-san, they definitely need to THANK the guy for the higher gun sales.

LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby pod on 10 Apr 2015 16:14

No one's gonna argue that point. I don't panic-buy and I don't believe Obama or any of the liberals have the wherewithal for a protracted civilian disarmament push. They are more interested in the sound-bite and hanging out with pop stars. But the panic buy is real. Pissed me off to be honest. A piece-of-shit S&W M4 knock-off should never go for more than $600 - it was double that when Obama started drooling about "doing something". Not that I'd buy substandard shit. Mil-spec or better for life, yo. I'll skimp on valet but gladly spend $900 on a can.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby slamminshaun on 11 Apr 2015 08:36

That's right. Ask anyone who owns an ammo shop/gun range and they'll tell you the same thing. "Yeah, I hate the guy, I really really do......but DAMN is he good for business"

The fact that ammo has been flying off the shelves is yet another failure of Obama. His inability to comprehend the consequences of his speeches is another example of him being in over his head.

Unless, of course, you think he knew exactly what would happen and wanted it to happen. And I wouldn't put it past him. He's shown psychopathic tendencies, murdering innocent women and children to advance his own political goals. I could see him purposely making speeches that cause the streets to become flooded with ammo and guns, rationalizing to himself it's for the greater good.
slamminshaun

Purpose of your visit?: No reason.

Postby Dade on 15 Apr 2015 16:51

From Roy Black:
"This article sums up our tragic gun problem perfectly. The combination of angry people and guns is a volatile combination we should be very afraid of. I doubt you will hear of this from the NRA and their fellow travelers. It is time to ban hand guns: “Roughly 22 million Americans -- 8.9 percent of the adult population-- have impulsive anger issues and easy access to guns. 3.7 million of these angry gun owners routinely carry their guns in public. And very few of them are subject to current mental health-based gun ownership restrictions....... Anger, in this study, doesn't simply mean garden-variety aggravation. It means explosive, uncontrollable rage....”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... s-to-guns/
Dade

Postby pod on 15 Apr 2015 17:22

Chris uses a few inflammatory sentences and skids it around a bit, but (and shockers, I'm gonna kind of agree with him) the overall premise is sound. Even us pro-2A people don't want disturbed individuals having easy access to firepower. It makes things harder for the rest of us.

I do not agree with Roy's comment about a ban though. It's the wrong solution and even if implemented, there will be a lot of tragic boating accidents and a run on shovels that day. Never mind the gross privacy violations when the Feds admit they keep the transaction information of every NICS check, despite that being illegal.

The framework exists for a mentally-disturbed person to be entered into the NICS system as a "prohibited person" by a medical professional. All he or she needs to do is call 1-877-324-6427, identify themselves as a licensed doctor, or CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer or his appointee) and after some paperwork and so on, the person is entered into NICS as a "prohibited person".

Try it:

http://www.nicsezcheckfbi.gov/index.html

Oh wait, you need a login - silly me.

Now, the process could be automated a bit, but currently HIPPA rules make that sort of thing difficult to accomplish the integration. Also, there's a whole host of privacy issues involved in that too, issues which would even turn off the liberals amongst us.

That's the biggest thing now. The tools exist to combat crazy folk getting ahold of things us sane people get to use every day. However, the Feds have done a shit job publicizing this.

The system isn't infallible, of course. It doesn't deal with the issue of stolen firearms. Lock your shit up if it isn't on your person. That's my biggest recommendation. 99 percent of firearms thefts are crimes of convenience. A thief isn't going to bring a blowtorch with him. If he does, he knew ahead of time what to expect and you have bigger problems than petty crime. It also doesn't deal well with human corruption, but that's a risk we have to take.

Some want average non-LEO/non-doctor access to file NICS prohibitions. California implemented this at the State level with the GVRO (Gun Violence Restraining Order) - which sounds peachy in theory (because if you were against it, the Cali nut jobs deemed you a chick-puncher) but the GVRO is flawed in that family members can phone it in and get it done with little warning or oversight. If you have guns and your brother hates you, he gets a GVRO just to fuck with you. It's happened.

I'm still a huge proponent of increased mental health assistance and the basic concept of getting involved in children's lives. My parents worked like dogs but they made damn sure I knew right from wrong, and most importantly, not to touch the guns in the house at the time. They were involved in my life as much as possible. The guns weren't demonized or feared, they were objects that were to be respected for their potential, not guarantee, to do harm. Never once, even at a young age, did I think to ever take one from storage and fuck around with it. I simply had too much going on in my young life. School, the great outdoors, Super Mario Brothers, hockey. By the time my day was done, I just wanted to read the next chapter of Hunt For Red October (I read that book when I was 10 - I was a precocious bastard) and go to sleep. Schlepping the Mossberg off the shelf never crossed my mind. I knew it was there, but didn't really care.

It's a contentious issue, and neither side will fully get what it wants. Feinstein won't get confiscation, and things like background check retention won't be done away with.
In the meantime, I'll be enjoying my interest in the technology and application of such devices, regardless of what anyone says. I have a new shooting partner even, which is an excellent thing. I hone my own skills while teaching her the basics of proper marksmanship and most importantly, safety.

See you at the range.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Next

Return to talk about Anything