Miami night club news from the source

Arizona allows business owners to refuse service to gays

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby norah on 21 Feb 2014 15:34

Arizona allows business owners to refuse service to gays

After the Arizona Legislature gave approval on Thursday to allow business owners to assert their religious beliefs and refuse service to gays, Rocco's Little Chicago Pizzeria in Tucson put up this sign.

The restaurant said, “Funny how just being decent is starting to seem radical these days.” http://bit.ly/1bsFS2d
norah

Purpose of your visit?: Banter

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby davenavarro on 21 Feb 2014 16:18

Re: Arizona allows business owners to refuse service to gays

Any business person who refuses service to someone because they're gay is a fool. Everybody's money is green.
davenavarro

Purpose of your visit?: My Real Name is Sergio

Postby Lola on 21 Feb 2014 17:53

Arizona sucks.
Lola

Postby norah on 24 Feb 2014 09:09

Lola wrote:Arizona sucks.

Yes and more so now for this stupid law.
norah

Postby LeVeL on 24 Feb 2014 11:41

I dont agree with it, but as a private business they can refuse service to whoever they wish. Arizona has to be up there as the worst state as far as treatment of immigrants and homosexuals.
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby coach on 24 Feb 2014 15:23

LeVeL wrote:I dont agree with it, but as a private business they can refuse service to whoever they wish. Arizona has to be up there as the worst state as far as treatment of immigrants and homosexuals.

This is incorrect, not only is discrimination illegal, it is immoral and unethical. It's also incredibly stupid. Businesses that are open to the public can refuse service for non-discriminatory reasons, for example, if someone is creating a disturbance, or is not wearing shoes, but they cannot just pick and choose who they serve.

You seem to have the incorrect idea of a "private" business. A place of business is not "private", it is public. A home is private. A business is not public property like a sidewalk, but any business that is open to the public has certain standards it has to maintain.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby apotheosis on 24 Feb 2014 16:24

Good clarification Coach. A company is allowed to be 'private' but they must establish themselves as a private club/organization. But then there are restrictions on advertising or tax incentives or something (not too sure of those details).

There's a lot of them in other parts of the country like in NC, and I saw some in Australia. Basically you get to 'join' the club just by walking in and signing something (and paying like $2 for a year's membership). But they do have the ability to refuse you from joining...which allows for legal discrimination.
apotheosis

Purpose of your visit?: a

Postby slamminshaun on 24 Feb 2014 19:54

I think Arizona did everyone a favor. With the law allowing Arizona business owners to wear their ignorance on their sleeve, we are now better informed as to which businesses to boycott, and encourage others to. I would be pissed if I knew that I was unknowingly and unwittingly enriching the pockets of a homophobic, anti-semitic, racist, and the only reason I didn't know was because some law made him keep his ignorance a secret. Fuck that. I want to know what kind of asshole I'm dealing with. If that's how you feel, more power to you....I'll go spend my money somewhere else, and so will everyone I associate with. How do you feel knowing someone like that is currently profiting from you but you don't know it because the law makes them pretend for public appearances? Why should someone like that be able to profit and get rich from the very people they hate? I don't want some ignorant asshole to profit off of me, so anything that helps me identify him is okay in my book.
slamminshaun

Purpose of your visit?: No reason.

Postby norah on 25 Feb 2014 08:46

slamminshaun wrote:I think Arizona did everyone a favor. With the law allowing Arizona business owners to wear their ignorance on their sleeve, we are now better informed as to which businesses to boycott, and encourage others to. I would be pissed if I knew that I was unknowingly and unwittingly enriching the pockets of a homophobic, anti-semitic, racist, and the only reason I didn't know was because some law made him keep his ignorance a secret. Fuck that. I want to know what kind of asshole I'm dealing with. If that's how you feel, more power to you....I'll go spend my money somewhere else, and so will everyone I associate with. How do you feel knowing someone like that is currently profiting from you but you don't know it because the law makes them pretend for public appearances? Why should someone like that be able to profit and get rich from the very people they hate? I don't want some ignorant asshole to profit off of me, so anything that helps me identify him is okay in my book.

It is still wrong.
norah

Postby Bling on 25 Feb 2014 09:37

jim crow laws redux?

wtf is this shit...
Bling

Purpose of your visit?: Read and talk shit
"I haven't sucked a dick for a ticket since 1996" - as posted by TNL Member Dirty Harry

Next

Return to talk about Anything