Miami night club news from the source

The Selfie is a cry for help

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby TechJunkie on 12 Apr 2016 07:56

Re: The Selfie is a cry for help

The earbuds were as big a problem as the selfie. How could you be playing music so loud through earbuds that you do my hear a TRAIN?!?

Florida law says that I have to give an audible warning when I pass a pedestrian on a bicycle. So I play SUPER LOUD music through a Bluetooth speaker. Just trying to follow the rules. It doesn't work on at least half of the people on the beach walk on South Beach. They act SHOCKED when I pass them. I used to feel bad about it. Now I consider it a public service scaring.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby pod on 12 Apr 2016 08:05

If I cycled I'd totally just have Cannibal Corpse playing through the speaker.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby TechJunkie on 12 Apr 2016 09:26

Daughter gets to pick each morning. Sometimes LCD Soundsystem. Sometimes Nirvana. Sometimes Uberzone. Sometimes DJ Patife. Often Creedence. Usually she wants our Screaming Guitars playlist that's full of the Black Keys, Jack White, Rival Sons, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Band of Skulls, Black Crowes, Georgia Satellites.

One of her favorites lately is Kraak & Smaak. Plastic People. Not the best for parting the sea of pedestrians though. The Black Keys are the all-time best for that.

I do the same thing when I'm longboarding and usually Emancipator is involved. Totally does not work for moving people out of the way but it just feels right.
TechJunkie

Postby pod on 12 Apr 2016 09:41

Getting people to move requires a very Teutonic soundtrack.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby coach on 12 Apr 2016 12:09

pod wrote:If I cycled I'd totally just have Cannibal Corpse playing through the speaker.

The only people who would hear you would be bitchy little old ladies in their homes 4 blocks away who would then call their Commissioner to complain. Nobody walking, biking or driving would even notice.

I think that being totally unaware of your surroundings should be a slappable offense. Like those people who park their carts sideways in a crowded store aisle. They seem to forget that there are other humans around. If we started slapping people that do shit like that, you bet it would stop soon enough. Me, I'm always expecting a Ninja attack, so I keep a good eye/ear out at all times.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby TechJunkie on 12 Apr 2016 13:42

pod wrote:Getting people to move requires a very Teutonic soundtrack.

Oddly enough I've tried that and it doesn't work. I've tried things like Rammstein and Nitzer Ebb and it just doesn't work. People seem to disregard it as noise.

I think it has something to do with the doppler effect. If you hear a guitar riff, even one you've never heard, then you can tell when it's phase shifting toward you. If you hear some kind of industrial metal noise then it just sounds like noise whether it's phase shifting or not. You can't tell.

Some Jack White tracks suffer from the same problem. People hear noise and disregard it, instead of music that makes them move out of the way.

Worst backfire ever: Michael Jackson's Greatest Hits. People everywhere of all ages love it so they turn around to see where it's coming from. Usually toward the music. And then they almost get run over.

coach wrote: Like those people who park their carts sideways in a crowded store aisle. They seem to forget that there are other humans around.

Those families that walk abreast and fill up the entire width of the beach walk. And then they get flustered and irritated when you try to get around them. Come on, people, this is not a corn field in Oklahoma.
TechJunkie

Postby coach on 13 Apr 2016 13:06

The sound of music does not indicate to most people, "oncoming traffic, beware." People are conditioned to respond to the sound of a bell or a horn. That, of course, assumes they are even remotely aware of their surroundings.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby TechJunkie on 13 Apr 2016 16:12

Nope. After three years of field testing every single day for at least eight miles a day I can assure you that the Black Keys makes people get out of the way. Not all music works. But the Black Keys does. You have to play it pretty loud.

I have a carefully crafted playlist of blues rock music that works.

This is the single most effective track I've ever found for getting people out of the way:

phpBB [media]

Always works on people who aren't wearing earphones. Every time. Any part of the track works. Not just the loud parts.
TechJunkie

Postby JMT on 13 Jun 2016 09:06

ImageImage
JMT

Postby JMT on 13 Nov 2016 17:26

JMT

PreviousNext

Return to talk about Anything