Miami night club news from the source

SkyNet to compete on "Jeopardy!"

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby JMT on 12 Mar 2016 11:55

Re: SkyNet to compete on "Jeopardy!"

Stick a fork in humanity. They still play out the final two games, so maybe he can win one for a moral victory.

AlphGo goes 3-0 up to seal historic victory
JMT

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby TechJunkie on 12 Mar 2016 13:35

It seemed inevitable. 2016 is the future, after all.

An important takeaway here is that the humans who programmed that AI could not have beat that human player. Humans have learned to make software that can outperform the humans who made it.

Pod: your regularly scheduled reminder: Read Accelerando.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby JMT on 12 Mar 2016 14:21

This may interest no one, except maybe Tech or Pod, but in following this story I did some reading about previous man vs. computer match-ups. Most people recall the Kasparov vs. Deep Blue chess match in the 1990s, and maybe they recall that he won the first time but lost the rematch to "Deeper" Blue, but I did not know the details of the controversy surrounding the second match.

Here is a short, interesting doc about it: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the ... s-signals/

Basically, a glitch caused the computer to make a fail-safe move which rattled Kasparov for the remainder of the match because the move was so innocuous he did not know how to interpret it. It was a close loss, and Kasparov could have learned from the glitch and possibly won the rubber match, but IBM denied him one, perhaps not wanting to risk it. Kasparov was also a sore loser, though, which I don't find hard to believe because when current world champ Magnus Carlsen played Kasparov to an epic draw at only the age of 13, Kasparov acted like it was nothing.

It was only a matter of time, anyway. Deep Blue was a dedicated purpose-built machine the size of refrigerator. Today, I think a single software on a PC is ranked in the middle 3000s while the highest humans are in the upper 2000s.
JMT

Postby TechJunkie on 13 Mar 2016 08:50

Thanks for posting that video. It's interesting that Kasparov got mind fucked by a computer.

Meanwhile, the human won a game at least.

Go champion Lee Se-dol strikes back to beat Google's DeepMind AI for first time
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby JMT on 28 Jun 2016 12:50

JMT

Postby coach on 29 Jun 2016 12:14

pod wrote:
TechJunkie wrote:Maybe when it wins then Pod will finally give up on the idea that he can drive a car better than a computer?

Nah probably not.

I'm sure the computer can drive better than me. I just want the option to turn it off. Luke switched off his targeting computer.

When you can start lifting spaceships with your brain, we'll consider that option.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby pod on 29 Jun 2016 13:08

Who's this "we", white man?
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby JMT on 29 Jun 2016 18:06

World's first 'robot lawyer' overturns 160,000 parking tickets in London and New York

DoNotPay uses a simple chat-based interface to guide users through a range of basic questions to establish if an appeal on their parking ticket is possible.

These include queries on whether there were any visible parking signs at the location where the ticket was given.

The AI lawyer then guides the user through the lengthy appeals process.

The chatbot is the brainchild of 19-year-old British student and self-taught coder Joshua Browder.
JMT

Postby JMT on 08 May 2017 11:01

The Military is Using Human Brain Waves to Teach Robots How to Shoot

Modern sensors can see farther than humans. Electronic circuits can shoot faster than nerves and muscles can pull a trigger. Humans still outperform armed robots in knowing what to shoot at — but new research funded in part by the Army may soon narrow that gap.

JMT

Previous

Return to talk about Anything