Miami night club news from the source

Sometimes the strangest shit happens...

Your source for autistic screeching.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby Dade on 03 Mar 2010 15:48

Sometimes the strangest shit happens...

As many of you know, my wife and I have an online wedding business. 99+% of our customers are women so it was not shocking that we thought we were seeing fraud when we received 10 orders from men this morning all within 10 minutes of one another all for the same product.

I called our card processor, PayPal, only to have a 30 minute conversation with a nice lady in India. When she couldn't figure it out, I spent another 30 minutes with her supervisor, who eventually transferred me to a nice guy in Chicago. This supervisor said that everything on the cards looked legit but he agreed that it made no sense and advised me to refund the charges. I did.

I then sent emails to all the buyers alerting them to the possible fraud. I got this in return:

Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 1:14 PM
To: <dade@whiteaisle.com>
Cc: <pierre@xxxxxxx.org>
Subject: Re: The White Aisle: Order Placed?

Hi Dade,

Sorry, we are chuckling a bit here and sorry to cause alarm. We had a group here doing user experience testing of PayPal and were using your site as a test site.

The thank you notes look lovely, by the way, and I'm looking forward to receive them.

Best regards,

--Pierre

I googled the name only to find out that he is the fucking founder of ebay so I was sure it was a scam. I wrote back:

Are you kidding? I just spent an hour on the phone going through supervisor after supervisor with Paypal flagging our account. I had to pull the item from the website to stop the situation, and install tracking info on the webpage to view where these hits were coming from. Additionally one of the people hung up on me when I called to let her know her credit card had been used.

I would appreciate a phone call. You should have my number on our account if you work for really do work for Paypal.

I then got this:

Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 2:19 PM
To: <dade@whiteaisle.com>
Cc: <pierre@xxxxxxx.org>
Subject: Re: The White Aisle: Order Placed?

That's terrible, I'm very sorry to hear that. I'll make sure someone calls you to apologize for the trouble and to correct the situation immediately.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience this caused you. Someone at PayPal should have alerted you to expect these orders ahead of time.

--Pierre

Followed by:

Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 2:16 PM
To: 'dade@whiteaisle.com'

Subject: THank you notes ordered this morning
Importance: High

HI Rebecca
We were showing our board members the PayPal checkout flow this morning and we had each of our 11 board members buy some thank you notes from your site individually. I realize this may have tripped your fraud filters, so I just wanted to let you know that all these order were legitimate and that you do not need to contact the users. Please feel free to call me on the number below if you have any questions.
Best
Renata

Renata Dionello
Chief of Staff to the CEO, eBay Inc.
Cell xxx xxx xxxx

Followed by:

Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 2:14 PM

Subject: Urgent: NO Fraud - legitimate Purchases
Importance: High

Hi Dade,

We were running a usability testing this morning with eBay Inc Board members. Which is why you got multiple small orders.

Please call my cell xxx xxx xxxx

The following people made purchases from PayPal / eBay campus in San Jose:

1. John Donahoe
2. Bill Ford
3. David Moffet (Wife's account was used)
4. Fred Anderson
5. Pierre Omidyar
6. Dick Schlosber
7. Scott Cook
8. Edward Barnholt
9. Dawn Lepore
10. Tom Tierney

thanks,
Kuldeep

Kuldeep Kelkar
Senior Manager
Global Customer Experience Research, PayPal
Direct xxx xxx xxxx | xxxxxxx@paypal.com

Google some of those names.........
Dade

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby Bling on 03 Mar 2010 16:56

Re: Sometimes the strangest shit happens...

people are scumbags plain and simple
Bling

Purpose of your visit?: Read and talk shit
"I haven't sucked a dick for a ticket since 1996" - as posted by TNL Member Dirty Harry

Postby Dade on 03 Mar 2010 17:23

Bling wrote:people are scumbags plain and simple

Maybe you missed the point, Bling. The charges were not fraud. The charges were made my the Board Of Directors of Ebay/PayPal on their personal credit cards as part of a "user experience" demonstration. In other words, I was getting email directly from the blackberry of the big cheese at Ebay/PayPal.
Dade

Postby Bling on 03 Mar 2010 17:51

ahh so they just used your site then and will pay for those orders then...

weird
Bling

Purpose of your visit?: Read and talk shit
"I haven't sucked a dick for a ticket since 1996" - as posted by TNL Member Dirty Harry

Postby DannyD on 03 Mar 2010 18:04

Bling, we know you can't write... but now you can't read?
DannyD

Location: My house is your house and in my house there's only house music
Purpose of your visit?: to Talk about Nightlife in South Florida

Postby r3nz0 on 03 Mar 2010 19:02

Tell them you want immediate stock ownership in the company for your troubles and will simply not take no for an answer.
r3nz0

Postby Lola on 03 Mar 2010 19:04

wonder why they picked your website?
Lola

Postby Dade on 03 Mar 2010 19:15

Lola wrote:wonder why they picked your website?

Our website is the site that PayPal uses to demonstrate to new prospective customers how well their processing works. Every year for the last five years they have asked for our permission to do this and we always say yes because they are spreading the word about us.

This was just weird though. We never thought it was anything but fraud because the charges were from the former CFO of Apple, the Great Grandson of the founder of Ford Motor Company, the CEO of EBay and so on.

Since all this started, I have received apologies from the CEO of EBay/PayPal, the manager who was doing the demonstration, the customer service manager who found out that I spent an hour on the phone and the former CFO of Apple.

I now have their home mailing addresses as well........
Dade

Postby JMT on 03 Mar 2010 19:39

One time Michael Jackson came over to my house to use the bathroom.
JMT

Postby Lola on 03 Mar 2010 23:04

Thats cool, at least they were nice enough to apologize for you spending an hour out of your day to chase the fraud activity scare!
Lola

Next

Return to talk about Anything