Miami night club news from the source

Can the island of Guam tip over if too many people go there?

Chat, sports, politics, movies, ...anything.

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby slamminshaun on 02 Apr 2010 19:06

Can the island of Guam tip over if too many people go there?

I've seen some whoppers in my day, but this one is downright unbelievable. Keep in mind, these are the people who rule our lives.

We are truly fucked. There is absolutely no hope for the United States.

slamminshaun

Purpose of your visit?: No reason.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby Electronic Foodie on 02 Apr 2010 22:27

Re: Can the island of Guam tip over if too many people go there?

I read about this too, but it looks like it was just a joke.......maybe.... :?

Rep. Johnson: Statement on Guam comments in an Armed Services Committee hearing wrote:"The subtle humor of this obviously metaphorical reference to a ship capsizing illustrated my concern about the impact of the planned military buildup on this small tropical island."

CBS News wrote:Madeleine Bordallo, Guam's delegate in the House, told Kuam News that she understood Johnson's comment was in jest. "I know Congressman Hank Johnson, and I'm sure that -- he's been here to Guam -- so I'm sure that it was just a joke," she said.

CBS News
Electronic Foodie

Purpose of your visit?: Electronic Music + Food

Postby Eeyore on 03 Apr 2010 00:51

Look at the transcript:

Johnson: This is an island that at its . . . widest level, is what . . . 12 miles from shore to shore and at its smallest level is . . . uh . . . smallest location is . . . uh . . . 7 miles between one shore and the other. Is that correct?

Admiral: I don't have the exact dimensions. But to your point, Guam is a small island.

Johnson: Very small island and about 24 miles long and 7 miles wide at its least widest place on the island and about 20 . . . about 12 miles wide . . . at the widest part of the island. And I don't know how many square miles that is. Do you happen to know?

Admiral: I don't have that figure with me, sir. I can certainly supply it to you if you would like.

Johnson: My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize.

Admiral: We don't anticipate that. The Guam population, currently about 175,000, and, again, with 8,000 marines and their families, is an addition of about 25,000 more into their population.

Johnson: And also, things like the environment . . . the sensitive areas of the environment . . . coral reefs and those kind of things . . . and I know that. I know . . . lots of people don't like to think about that. But we didn't think about global warming either and now we do have to think about it. And so, I'm concerned from an environmental standpoint whether Guam is the best place to do this relocation, but its actually the only place, is that correct?

"And also" indicates a second concern. It was only after the admiral addressed Johnson's concern about Guam capsizing ("we don't anticipate that happening") that Johnson moved on to his next worry: the possible environmental impact of sending additional Marines there.

Also, check out Johnson's body language at the moment he says "tip over and capsize." It reinforces a literal (not figurative) interpretation of those remarks.
Eeyore

No politics, just fashion models

Postby JMT on 03 Apr 2010 01:11

i don't think i have ever seen anyone struggle that hard to formulate a question in my life.
JMT

Postby The Honky Tonk Man on 03 Apr 2010 11:37

The guy has hepatitis c and is heavily medicated, this is why you are not seeing the news make fun of him. Have a heart peeps, it's not his fault.
The Honky Tonk Man
Retired Club Legend

Postby Eeyore on 03 Apr 2010 13:07

If he's too sick to do his job, why is he still showing up at work?
Eeyore

No politics, just fashion models

Postby The Honky Tonk Man on 04 Apr 2010 12:58

Eeyore wrote:If he's too sick to do his job, why is he still showing up at work?

Obama is just a sick, he's still showing up...
The Honky Tonk Man
Retired Club Legend

Return to talk about Anything