Miami night club news from the source

10 South Beach restaurants where you can eat for $15

Restaurants, gourmet news, and foodie playground.

Moderator: lulamishka

Postby Ryan on 25 Mar 2009 13:27

Re: 10 South Beach restaurants where you can eat for $15

apotheosis wrote:go-go's is another not mentioned...great great little empanadas of all varieties and their salads are top-notch. i haven't tried half moon yet but go-go's has like 10x the variety.

That's interesting, where is Go-Go's? Half-Moon is just outside the door to my office so that's my last-ditch lunch way too often.
Ryan
Chief Quartermaster Officer

"A discriminating irreverence is the creator and protector of human liberty."
Mark Twain

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby norah on 24 Apr 2009 06:09

Charlotte's Bakery on Washington Ave (next to Baby Burger) is not listed either. That place has delicious empanadas, arepas, quiche, sandwiches/ pastries, coffee, it's good and CHEAP as hell. I always stop by when I am in town.
norah

Purpose of your visit?: Banter

Postby TechJunkie on 18 Jan 2011 14:35

Devilicious wrote:I love Front Porch Cafe. I've recently been ordering their salad trio (three small portions of their most popular salads - go for curry chicken and mozzarella tomato)

I'm sad to report that the new Front Porch Cafe location isn't cool at all. The menu appears to be exactly the same, and the seating area is bigger and nicer. But now instead of a beautiful view of Lummus Park and the dunes, the view is a T-shirt shop and a Starbuck's. I never had to choose between a view and good food, but now when I have breakfast on Ocean after beach Tai Chi, I have to pick. News Cafe with its excellent location and mediocre menu, or the Front Porch with its excellent menu and mediocre location.

(The new location is in the Z Ocean hotel, a couple of blocks north of where it was. 1458 Ocean.)
TechJunkie

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby Devilicious on 18 Jan 2011 15:27

TechJunkie wrote:
Devilicious wrote:I love Front Porch Cafe. I've recently been ordering their salad trio (three small portions of their most popular salads - go for curry chicken and mozzarella tomato)

I'm sad to report that the new Front Porch Cafe location isn't cool at all. The menu appears to be exactly the same, and the seating area is bigger and nicer. But now instead of a beautiful view of Lummus Park and the dunes, the view is a T-shirt shop and a Starbuck's. I never had to choose between a view and good food, but now when I have breakfast on Ocean after beach Tai Chi, I have to pick. News Cafe with its excellent location and mediocre menu, or the Front Porch with its excellent menu and mediocre location.

(The new location is in the Z Ocean hotel, a couple of blocks north of where it was. 1458 Ocean.)

I didn't think about that when I spotted the new venue the other day. Bummer. I'm also curious about two more things - 1. Did they raise their prices? and 2. Has the service improved?
Devilicious

Postby TechJunkie on 18 Jan 2011 16:38

Hm, interesting, both of your questions. I never thought of the service at the Front Porch as being any worse than anywhere else. Kind of slow but that's all. But now that you mention it, there were a lot more servers today and it was pretty snappy. They have a lot more tables outside, and the inside area looked pretty big too, so maybe they scaled up overall?

Apologies, but I'm not sure about the prices. I'm the one paying but I don't really pay attention to that. As far as I could tell they were using the exact same menus as they were in November at the old location, so I don't think that anything at all has changed. Same satay chicken omelete, granola pancakes, breakfast pizza, etc on the breakfast menu.

I used to really enjoy going to the Front Porch for happy hour, to relax and watch the park. That's kind of pointless now that the view is of a Starbuck's, so I'm looking for a decent happy hour on Ocean where you can hang out by the park, if anybody knows of anything?
TechJunkie

Postby coach on 18 Jan 2011 18:10

TechJunkie wrote:so I'm looking for a decent happy hour on Ocean where you can hang out by the park, if anybody knows of anything?

Fridays 8-10 Clevelander rooftop. It's not street level, so you can't see the park so much, but it is really nice. Usually mellow live music, drink specials, food specials.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby norah on 20 Jan 2011 00:56

coach wrote:
TechJunkie wrote:so I'm looking for a decent happy hour on Ocean where you can hang out by the park, if anybody knows of anything?

Fridays 8-10 Clevelander rooftop. It's not street level, so you can't see the park so much, but it is really nice. Usually mellow live music, drink specials, food specials.

One Call a Cab and you might as well call it a day. Those drinks are packed with sugar and low grade alcohol ...
norah

Purpose of your visit?: Banter

Postby TechJunkie on 20 Jan 2011 08:21

coach wrote:

Interesting, thanks, Coach. Do they still do that happy hour at the National also?
TechJunkie

Postby Devilicious on 20 Jan 2011 11:11

norah wrote:
coach wrote:

One Call a Cab and you might as well call it a day. Those drinks are packed with sugar and low grade alcohol ...

.... and not sold at the Clevelander ;)

You're thinking of Wet Willie's
Devilicious

Postby Devilicious on 20 Jan 2011 15:27

TechJunkie wrote:
coach wrote:

Interesting, thanks, Coach. Do they still do that happy hour at the National also?

I went about six months ago and the manager was a super douche... the happy hour is still advertised on their website but he wouldn't honor it.
Devilicious

PreviousNext

Return to talk about Dining