Miami night club news from the source

Green Bag

Restaurants, gourmet news, and foodie playground.

Moderator: lulamishka

Postby lulamishka on 15 Oct 2007 00:14

Green Bag

I came across these at Publix near the checkout counter/exit. For under $2 a bag ($1.49 to be exact), you can get a green bag to put your groceries in instead of your usual paper or plastic [less waste!]. So I bought 3 of them. What would have filled 8 plastic bags, give or take, I was able to fit nicely into 2 1/2 green bags! I was impressed. And, of course, they're reusable! I'll be keeping them in my car for future Publix runs.

Here's their website if you'd ilke to check it out: http://greenbag.info/
lulamishka

House is food and you need it! If I feed it, you should EAT it!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby Ryan on 15 Oct 2007 13:20

Re: Green Bag

Interesting. I used to bring my own cotton crochet mesh bags to the grocery store when I was a little hippie college student.

This caught my attention partly because I passed at least a dozen plastic shopping bags in Biscayne Bay when I was working out on my kayak yesterday. They always float just under the surface, partially submerged. I have to steer around them or else they catch on my rudder and then I can't grab them, because my rudder is 10 feet behind me. When I hit one it's like slamming into a sand bar and I go from 9.5 MPH to about 0.5 MPH all at once. Then I have to back up until it comes off of the rudder, maneuver around it, and get back up to speed.

That's just how annoying those bags are to a PERSON. Imagine what it does to marine life. The tidal flow of Biscayne Bay is very intense, it's like a toilet bowl flushing out to sea twice a day. Anything that you see floating in mid-bay is going to be polluting the Miami Terrace Reef tomorrow, or the coral reef the next day.
Ryan
Chief Quartermaster Officer

"A discriminating irreverence is the creator and protector of human liberty."
Mark Twain

Postby Ryan on 23 Oct 2007 17:57

Re: Green Bag

I saw those green bags at Publix this weekend. Didn't get any because my wife uses the plastic bags for trash bags while she's cooking. I need to convince her to use a trash bowl while she's cooking instead because I just had to fish one of those bags out of the bay this morning. And because I saw this article today about the giant garbage patch in the Pacific that's full of plastic:

Giant garbage patch floating in Pacific
An enormous island of trash twice the size of Texas is floating in the Pacific Ocean somewhere between San Francisco and Hawaii.

Chris Parry with the California Coastal Commission in San Francisco said the so-called Great Pacific Garbage Patch, has been growing a brisk rate since the 1950s, The San Francisco Chronicle reported Friday.

The trash stew is 80 percent plastic and weighs more than 3.5 million tons.

"At this point, cleaning it up isn't an option," Parry said. "It's just going to get bigger as our reliance on plastics continues."

Parry said using canvas bags to cart groceries instead of using plastic bags is a good first step to reducing reliance on plastics, the newspaper said.

This morning I also saw a moon jelly swimming along in the shadow of the Flagler monument island. It was about 14 inches in diameter with bright neon pink markings. Never spotted one of those in the bay before. I saw it this morning at high tide, and the fact that it got sucked into the bay through Government Cut with the tide is just more proof that Miami is obliviously sitting right next to open ocean. I had to endure the stink of rotting trash on the island to follow the moon jelly for a few minutes. Beer bottles, plastic bottles, discarded chairs, and LOTS of cans. Red Bull cans everywhere. The juxtaposition of people and nature in South Florida is just... sad.
Ryan
Chief Quartermaster Officer

"A discriminating irreverence is the creator and protector of human liberty."
Mark Twain

Return to talk about Dining