Miami night club news from the source

Peru - The Future of Gastronomy

Restaurants, gourmet news, and foodie playground.

Moderator: lulamishka

Postby norah on 29 Dec 2014 13:18

Peru - The Future of Gastronomy

Blessed with a mind-blowingly fertile ecosystem—3,000 varieties of potatoes is just the half of it—Lima is emerging as a new global culinary epicenter. Kevin West meets the ingenious chefs who aren’t just inventing new ways of eating but are using food to forge a national identity.
Blessed with a mind-blowingly fertile ecosystem—3,000 varieties of potatoes is just the half of it—Lima is emerging as a new global culinary epicenter. Kevin West meets the ingenious chefs who aren’t just inventing new ways of eating but are using food to forge a national identity.At a little past 5 a.m., it was hard for me to keep up with Toshi Matsufuji, the slight twentysomething chef of Al Toke Pez, as he moved through Lima’s Villa Maria del Triunfo fish market, the city’s largest. For one thing, I was sluggish from a 24-course dinner the night before at Astrid y Gastón, a gastronomic palace run by the country’s most famous chef, Gastón Acurio. Matsufuji, on the other hand, rises early several times a week to shop for his tiny restaurant—which in local parlance is a huarique,or hole in the wall—that operates out of a narrow storefront in a gentrifying part of town with a few counter seats facing a primitive two-burner stove. The line of customers sometimes stretches up the block.

Matsufuji is accustomed to the market’s clangor, but I was simply overwhelmed by the oceanic kaleidoscope. There were tuna that appeared to have been made of aluminum, blunt-headed dorado, pin-cushion sea urchins, pink-fleshed swordfish nearly as thick through the waist as Matsufuji himself, and noble lenguado,a platter-shaped sole locally considered the ideal fish for ceviche, Peru’s national dish.

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2014- ... gastronomy
norah

Purpose of your visit?: Banter

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby Lola on 06 Jan 2015 19:35

Re: Peru - The Future of Gastronomy

Peruvian food has been the top for a while and should be... it's so damn good. There's lots of Peruvian places down here, everywhere I look I see the flag... I can't waittttt to go back to Peru... I really want to hike the Inca Trail this year but probably have to wait until 2016....
Lola

Postby norah on 07 Jan 2015 17:08

I would say it has been for the last six years, but before that nobody gave the credit where it was long overdue, ingredients, flavor, and most of all, how much variety there is in my beloved Peru. When people talk to me about quinoa, flax seeds, potatoes or purple corn, I tell them, "GO to Peru and your mind will be blown".

I did the Inca Trail but went by train, on two separate trips and each time I saw something different. It is so full of mystery and landscape/ food/ culture. If anyone can stay overnight in Machu Picchu, I totally recommend doing that.
norah

Postby Lola on 07 Jan 2015 22:10

Machu Picchu was so amazing... I went up by train but want to go back and do the big hike. I think it would be life=changing.

I buy my Quinoa and other spices at Bravo for that reason.. I get the Peruvian products :)
Lola

Postby norah on 08 Jan 2015 11:01

Is Bravo a grocery store in FL too? There is one here in NJ and they sell tons of great Peruvian spices to cook with.
norah

Postby LeVeL on 21 Jan 2015 17:52

I love all the spices/ingredients that Peruvian has to offer. I love the mesh between Seafood/Chinese/Japanese/Traditional Peruvian cuisine.

Its #1 in my book. I agree with Norah that Peruvian Restaurant rush started 5-7 years ago.
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby Lola on 29 Jan 2015 22:30

norah wrote:Is Bravo a grocery store in FL too? There is one here in NJ and they sell tons of great Peruvian spices to cook with.

Yes! Bravo is a smaller supermarket that carries south/latin american foods/spices, ec... i have one a mile from my house and shop there all the time..
Lola

Postby Lola on 29 Jan 2015 22:32

LeVeL wrote:I love all the spices/ingredients that Peruvian has to offer. I love the mesh between Seafood/Chinese/Japanese/Traditional Peruvian cuisine.

Its #1 in my book. I agree with Norah that Peruvian Restaurant rush started 5-7 years ago.

When you mix Chinese and Peruvian, it's called Chifa... fucking so amzing. The place I used to go to down here closed, it was in like margate... but i'm trying to find another... I miss their food.....
Lola

Postby norah on 30 Jan 2015 14:22

I am not big on Chifa, I do love Japanese/ Peruvian more than anything. There is a guy named Javier Wong who Anthony Bourdain featured on his show, he is amazing and does it the Japanese/ Peruvian cooking, his ceviche recipe is out of this world.
norah

Postby P.L.U.R. <3 on 26 Feb 2015 18:37

P.L.U.R. <3

Purpose of your visit?: BANNED

Next

Return to talk about Dining