Miami night club news from the source

Japanese Market 79th St Causeway North Bay Village

Restaurants, gourmet news, and foodie playground.

Moderator: lulamishka

Postby Mattivi on 09 Mar 2011 13:50

Japanese Market 79th St Causeway North Bay Village

Some of the best sushi Ive had in town, the sushi chef has some very creative custom rolls. Captain Tuna was out of this world. Prices are affordable, I highly recommend this place to anyone who likes sushi.
Mattivi

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
Voltaire

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby coach on 11 Mar 2011 01:41

Re: Japanese Market 79th St Causeway North Bay Village

Is it actually a market, too? That sounds really interesting, if so. Do they sell any unusual products?
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby Devilicious on 11 Mar 2011 10:48

coach wrote:Is it actually a market, too? That sounds really interesting, if so. Do they sell any unusual products?

I wouldn't say unusual, more like specifically Japanese. It's actually more of a market than a restaurant.

http://www.japanese-market.com/
Devilicious

Postby Mattivi on 13 Mar 2011 14:53

Yeh its a small market with japanese groceries and a deli counter.
Mattivi

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
Voltaire

Postby TechJunkie on 13 Mar 2011 16:08

That one is pretty good but the only true one-stop Asian market that I've found in South Florida is PK in North Miami. Only place where my wife can find all if the bizarre ingredients that she needs in one place.

Try the bubble tea cafe next door if you ever check it out. Bubble tea is one of those bizarre Asian things that you see evidenced in the curiosities in Asian markets. It's what those really huge drinking straws are for. The "bubbles" are tapiocas. You don't see it much in the US and I'm assuming that's because of the choking risk from sucking blueberry-sized tapiocas through a drinking straw.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby Mattivi on 15 Mar 2011 10:38

Thats cool, but I dont go there for the market, I go there for the sushi counter, which is really the main draw there. The sushi chef is quite renown in Miami, has won several local awards, etc. I like his sushi cause its not over-caked with so much rice and he has some really cool original rolls.
Mattivi

Voltaire

Postby Electronic Foodie on 18 May 2011 11:12

Agree with Mattivi.

I've probably been here more than 50 times. The bags of dried fish with crackers are really delicious.

As for the sushi bar, here's a little story:

One day, I was in the mood for something special. I sat down at the sushi bar and made a request to the visiting sushi chef (who was standing next to the owner)...

"Omakase onegaishimasu!"

Their eyes widened and they looked at each other like this:

After they both questioned me to confirm that omakase was indeed what I wanted, the surprised look on the visiting chef's face turned into a big smile and his excitement was noticable in his sushi preparation.

He probably hadn't received too many requests for omakase in America. I had cuts of fish (and some kind of large, shrimp-looking crustacean in its shell) I didn't even know existed. Completely worth the $55.00 - $60.00 it cost me. The cost will depend on how many pieces of sushi you want to eat. I ate until I couldn't eat anymore.

Small warning: The miso soup is not homemade. They prepare it from the miso soup packets that they sell in the store.
Electronic Foodie

Purpose of your visit?: Electronic Music + Food

Postby ramon on 09 Jun 2011 09:47

I love Japanese Market and yes Omakase is not something you would normally hear in USA , but its actually available in a few places like NOBU and NAOE (although hella more expensive). I had no idea you could do it at Japanese Market will have to try that some time.
ramon

Purpose of your visit?: nocturnal activities.

Return to talk about Dining