Miami night club news from the source

American Noodle Bar

Restaurants, gourmet news, and foodie playground.

Moderator: lulamishka

Postby TechJunkie on 13 Jan 2011 15:01

American Noodle Bar

I have wanted to check out the American Noodle Bar for a while, but the article on them in the Herald this morning finally got me there. The place is SMALL inside and the parking on the north side of the building is a little sketchy, but those are the only criticisms that I could come up with and the small thing is on the "quaint" side rather than "cramped".

The menu is on chalk boards like at Sakaya, but it's a smaller menu. Three sandwiches, an array of interesting appetizers, and of course mostly noodle bowls. If you get a noodle bowl, then you pick a sauce from one column and a topping from another. I had sauteed tofu with sriracha sauce and my wife had tofu with duck sauce. Both were fantastic. We also had the edamame hush puppies and I will definitely be back for more of those in the future. Somehow I was imagining wheat noodles but they serve egg noodles. Big, thick, meaty egg noodles. The mango soda is really good but be warned that it is definitely not a diet drink.

The layout is a lot like Wok Town, but smaller. With one big group table in the center and a bar on the side. Tables outside, although the neighborhood isn't quite the kind of place for a sidewalk cafe experience yet.

Summary: this place is a gem and I will definitely be back.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby JMT on 16 Jan 2011 11:46

Re: American Noodle Bar

Been there twice so far. I could eat there 3 times a day it's so delicious. Michael Bloise is a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend and a cool guy. He used to be head chef at Wish. I have sampled pretty much every item on the menu and enjoyed it all, with the exception of the brisket, however I seem to be in the minority on that one.
JMT

Postby Devilicious on 24 Jan 2011 15:18

Re: American Noodle Bar

I stopped by for dinner on Friday; reposting my Yelp review.

Ok, it's in a motel and it's tiny, but it's quaint and clean. It's a hipster lover's paradise, with unique beer selections and fast service.

An array of food was ordered at my table so I'll run down my feelings quickly. Skip the wings and opt for the giant egg roll instead. The cheeseburger dumplings were lacking cheese - ground beef in a deep fried nugget, how can you taste bad? You don't, but nor do you excite me.

My noodle bowl with pork broth was slurpy goodness! The duck and mushroom add-ins were well prepared and decedant, but I do wish they were more plentiful. Note the difference between the "sauce" and "broth" for your bowl. The sauces are just that; don't expect soupy. Like others, I would love to have soba or other noodles as an option.

Friendly, fast service completed my experience here, but I was left wanting something more. Yes, it's pretty cheap, but my total for two people came to $45 with tax, drinks, and tip. Doesn't feel so cheap when you factor in that you're eating with plastic forks and knives out of paper baskets.

I'll go back if I'm in the neighborhood but I'm in no rush. If I lived in the area, this would be great hungover food.

Bottom Line: ANB brings better than bar food but lacks that wow factor I'm looking for.

6/10
Devilicious

Return to talk about Dining