Miami night club news from the source

Same shit, different year.

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby davenavarro on 19 Dec 2017 00:41

Same shit, different year.

The following article was posted on youredm.com

ULTRA MUSIC FESTIVAL HEADLINER LEAKS 2018 LINEUP
MATTHEW MEADOWDECEMBER 18, 2017
EVENTSFEATUREDNEWS

Moments after Andy C tweeted out that he was playing Ultra Music Festival 2018, Empire Of The Sun did the same, with one major caveat… they also included the rest of the Phase 1 lineup in their post. In the since deleted Instagram post, the Phase 1 lineup lists all of Ultra’s favorites: Afrojack, Armin van Buuren, Axwell Λ Ingrosso, Carl Cox, David Guetta, DJ Snake, Hardwell, Kaskae, Nicky Romero, Steve Aoki, and Tiësto.

Joining all of them as headliners will also be The Chainsmokers, Dubfire b2b Nicole Moudaber b2b Paco Osuna, Eric Prydz, Flosstradamus, Jamie Jones, J.E.S.u.S, Joseph Capriati, Maceo Plex, Marshmello, RL Grime, Sasha & John Digweed, and Porter Robinson’s new project Virtual Self.

And that’s just the main headliners…
davenavarro

Purpose of your visit?: My Real Name is Sergio

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby davenavarro on 19 Dec 2017 00:42

Re: Same shit, different year.

I'll never understand in a million years why people continue paying hundreds of dollars every year to see the exact same dj's at Ultra. :?
davenavarro

Postby LeVeL on 19 Dec 2017 09:58

I get your frustration. The reality is that if you looks at most of the big festivals like EDC Vegas, ULTRA, Tomorrowland you will find the same DJ's being booked year after year.

Though having Flosstradamus and RL Grime on the line-up is a huge boost.

Dave, have you checked out the line-up for the Okeechobee Music Festival?
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby davenavarro on 19 Dec 2017 14:43

I was really hoping that 2018 would've been the year that Daft Punk finally performed at Ultra. Level I think I saw the line-up for Okeechobee, but I don't remember being impressed by it. I was kind of excited when I heard that the Fort Rock Festival was moving to Ft. Lauderdale in 2018, but my excitement quickly dissipated when I saw their crappy ass line up. The only big concerts that I'm looking forward to in 2018 are The Killers at the AAA, and I might also go see the Foo fighters in West Palm Beach.
davenavarro

Postby JMT on 20 Dec 2017 10:32

Easy. For many people it is the one time a year they can even see these acts. And drugs.
JMT

Postby coach on 20 Dec 2017 14:41

JMT wrote:Easy. For many people it is the one time a year they can even see these acts. And drugs.

Yeah, that. Not everyone has a glut of headliners rolling through their town every weekend.

It would be interesting to see the percentage of non-locals that attend Ultra. And, then the number of returning vs new patrons.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby pod on 20 Dec 2017 15:59

Ultra is mostly tourists and weekend warriors.

Also it's a big deal if you are into EDM. There's only one club in town that books EDM anymore and it's only one day a week.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby davenavarro on 20 Dec 2017 16:31

pod wrote:Ultra is mostly tourists and weekend warriors.

Also it's a big deal if you are into EDM. There's only one club in town that books EDM anymore and it's only one day a week.

I agree. I think the vast majority of Ultra goers are from out of town. I think people in Miami who are over the age of 35 might have gone to a few Ultras, but they eventually stopped because it's way too expensive, and it's mostly the same button pushers year after year. I've never been to Ultra, and would only consider going if they had either Daft Punk or another band that I like (like Jane's Addiction) performing. Sometimes I don't understand why they book acts like Ice Cube. That made no sense to me whatsoever.
Last edited by davenavarro on 22 Dec 2017 19:49, edited 2 times in total.
davenavarro

Postby pod on 20 Dec 2017 16:35

I don't care for festivals. Too expensive. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

I'd also like to save money, and spending hundreds of dollars on a few hours worth of bleeps and bloops outdoors around too many kids doesn't seem like a wise way to do that.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby coach on 22 Dec 2017 14:57

Well then, that's why it is mostly the same people. If they are attracting the tourists, and the tourists are not burned out on them because they only get to see them a couple times per year, then why not keep using them?

Also, in general, the top music artists in any year do not change significantly from year to year. You may have a couple new top sellers pop up and a couple oldies drop out, but the change in the top of the charts is slower than years. So, if you are booking the "top sellers" year after year, your headliner lineup is going to change slowly, which is the model that Ultra follows.

The fact that it is mostly tourists is actually one of its strengths, they would be foolish to try to cater to the local, and as previously mentioned mostly jaded, audience. The Cities of Miami and Miami Beach make many of their decisions based on how many hotel rooms you can fill. That is probably why, despite all the complaints by new neighbors, Ultra has not been kicked out of Bayfront Park, yet.

Though, that may change in the future. The Bayfront Trust lost its excellent director a year or so ago. Dunno if he quit or was fired, but without him to maintain it, who knows what will happen.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Next

Return to talk about Nightlife