Miami night club news from the source

The death blow of DJS in Miami.....

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby The Honky Tonk Man on 18 Dec 2017 15:38

The death blow of DJS in Miami.....

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-hip-hop-festivals-rolling-loud-20171215-htmlstory.html

Whats up bitches, thought I'd post this, very interesting read. My 2 cents:

1. Parts of Sobe are being revitalized, they look more like Boca than South Beach and that's a good thing for the residents, not so good for djs and clubs. Sobe is getting its act together block by block. What a difference it makes, it could really be a gem of a city instead of a 3rd world hell hole.
2. Cameo and Level are still closed, clubs are dead in South Beach. I know numbers around town are way down across the board. Down town is on life support, only holidays and big events make money.
3. EDM's last remaining niche was festivals, that came and went, don't get me wrong, they still do well but it's clear the days of putting up a tent and booking a dj are far over.
4. Wharf Miami proves I was correct years ago, Miami is all about being outdoors, not indoors in clubs at 5am. Wharf is killing it and I expect the big players are secretly watching Emi ready to duplicate it. Wharf wars!!!!!!

CL
The Honky Tonk Man
Retired Club Legend

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby pod on 18 Dec 2017 15:48

Re: The death blow of DJS in Miami.....

Don't get why they are saying hip-hop was 'ostracized' from clubs. Even during the peak times of EDM, the clubs always had a hip-hop component, whether it was in another room, or on a different night.

1. Beach going Boca? Definitely. That spark was lit in the early 2000s when chain stores started moving in on Collins. It is what it is, I guess. The 90s were just that, the 90s. It ain't coming back.

2. The biggest rooms on South Beach are vacant. 1235 Washington Avenue has a 'For Lease' sign on it for the first time in 30 years. Typically when one club shut down, another operator swooped in and took over right away.

3. Putting up a tent and booking a DJ only works during Conference and even then it's really tough.

4. Friendships aside, the Wharf is a lot of fun. I have semi-frequent business in the area and it's great to pop in for a few minutes on my way home or whatever. No BS, hell, you can even bring the kids during daylight hours.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby davenavarro on 18 Dec 2017 21:39

The Honky Tonk Man wrote:http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-hip-hop-festivals-rolling-loud-20171215-htmlstory.html

Whats up bitches, thought I'd post this, very interesting read. My 2 cents:

1. Parts of Sobe are being revitalized, they look more like Boca than South Beach and that's a good thing for the residents, not so good for djs and clubs. Sobe is getting its act together block by block. What a difference it makes, it could really be a gem of a city instead of a 3rd world hell hole.
2. Cameo and Level are still closed, clubs are dead in South Beach. I know numbers around town are way down across the board. Down town is on life support, only holidays and big events make money.
3. EDM's last remaining niche was festivals, that came and went, don't get me wrong, they still do well but it's clear the days of putting up a tent and booking a dj are far over.
4. Wharf Miami proves I was correct years ago, Miami is all about being outdoors, not indoors in clubs at 5am. Wharf is killing it and I expect the big players are secretly watching Emi ready to duplicate it. Wharf wars!!!!!!

CL

You bring up some good points about clubs being dead on South Beach Honky. I think the only big club on the beach that's still thriving (or still open for that matter) is Story. I just found out that Dream closed which is kind of crazy considering that they were a hip hop club, and that they were open for quite a few years. The clubs on Miami Beach might be dead, but there's definitely been a shift. I've heard that people are more likely to hang out at bars/restaurants on Alton Road (like Bodega) as opposed to all of the clubs that used to be on Washington Avenue. I think people in their 20's rather go out to a bar, or to a neighborhood like Wynwood where there are plenty of places to go to that don't charge a $20.00- $30.00 cover just to see some guy push some buttons.
davenavarro

Purpose of your visit?: My Real Name is Sergio

Postby coach on 20 Dec 2017 14:38

Well, have you seen the rest of South Beach? I don't think it is just the clubs. I just walked down Washington Ave and I would guess that at least 2/3rds of the storefronts there are shuttered, especially on the East side. Of course, Lincoln has been like Dolphin Mall for a few years, now, but each month it just gets more so.

Does the shuttering of dozens of businesses indicate the demise of DJs in Miami, or do they both have a different root cause?

That being said, anyone have hotel numbers? I'm curious how that part of the game is going. If it is still going strong, where are all those people going?

Also, we already have a Boca nearby, why do we need another one?

Your commentary about Wharf, "and I expect the big players are secretly watching Emi ready to duplicate it. " is dead on one of the issues afflicting Miami, a significant lack of creativity. There are a few people, like Emi, who will go out and try something new, but very few. Then the vultures hop on and duplicate their idea 100 times. Never works, just results in a glut of the same old, same old, and a lot of bad Yelp reviews. It is not good in the long term.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby LeVeL on 20 Dec 2017 15:30

Wharf is fun and its another in the line of great spots in the Wynwood, Design District and Miami River.

But, I prefer the Wynwood Yard over Wharf.
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby pod on 20 Dec 2017 15:58

Earlier this year, I had a gig on the Beach at 1235 Washington Avenue on a Saturday night. It was definitely "season".

Getting from the Podplex up north to the Beach took about fifteen minutes.

I found parking practically in front of the club in about five minutes.

A decade and a half prior, there would have been a traffic jam past 23rd Street, with nothing in particular going on.

You could also conceivably park on 5th Street where the Wells Fargo is now (it used to be a grocery store and the parking lot was leased out at night for club parking) and club hop from the shitty clubs on Death Row all the way up past crobar and maybe end up at Lola or something.

The "beginning of the end" was when Downtown finally started taking itself seriously. Traditional dance clubs died on the Beach because of changing demographics mostly. The new residents weren't into that sort of thing, and thus the Boca-ization began.

Recently, there was a "South Beach Reunion" event. Ironically part of it was held in Wynwood. It was a get-together of the movers and shakers from the early-to-mid 90s. I got here in 97 so I don't count but for some reason I'm in the FB group. Anyways, I was watching the conversation. Most of the people invited or going had to travel in, they didn't live on the Beach anymore. Your average person that we "grew up" with who liked dance clubs, raucous bars, and so on simply doesn't live here anymore. The replacement crowd is not much different than bedroom community dwellers. The grand poobahs of the Beach did nothing to stop it, of course. Sadly they killed the golden goose without finding a real viable replacement. Chain stores don't count.

Downtown, the battle is a little different since it's just about money. Well, the Beach battle was about money too but it was a little more subtle.

Wynwood is next. It's actually kind of "ova" already.

Potential new hangout places are:

• Allapattah

• Little River

• Whatever the part of Miami is that's wedged between Overtown and Downtown
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby davenavarro on 20 Dec 2017 16:26

coach wrote:Well, have you seen the rest of South Beach? I don't think it is just the clubs. I just walked down Washington Ave and I would guess that at least 2/3rds of the storefronts there are shuttered, especially on the East side. Of course, Lincoln has been like Dolphin Mall for a few years, now, but each month it just gets more so.

Does the shuttering of dozens of businesses indicate the demise of DJs in Miami, or do they both have a different root cause?

That being said, anyone have hotel numbers? I'm curious how that part of the game is going. If it is still going strong, where are all those people going?

Also, we already have a Boca nearby, why do we need another one?

Your commentary about Wharf, "and I expect the big players are secretly watching Emi ready to duplicate it. " is dead on one of the issues afflicting Miami, a significant lack of creativity. There are a few people, like Emi, who will go out and try something new, but very few. Then the vultures hop on and duplicate their idea 100 times. Never works, just results in a glut of the same old, same old, and a lot of bad Yelp reviews. It is not good in the long term.

Sorry Coach, but what is the Wharf doing that is so innovative and new? There used to be a place called Finnegans River that was open on the Miami River for over 5 years. They may not have had food trucks, but the did serve food, and they had a great view of the Miami River. When Finnegans closed down River Yacht Club opened up in the same spot. The Wharf might be doing well now, but let's see how they do in July or August when it's hotter than the Devil's butthole outside.
Last edited by davenavarro on 31 Dec 2017 14:16, edited 3 times in total.
davenavarro

Postby LeVeL on 20 Dec 2017 16:44

Wharf is the Wynwood Yard, but on the Miami River. American Social was on the Miami River before Wharf

Over the last couple of years there has been a push open up these hip spots on the Miami River. Before it was simply Garcia's and Casablanca's now you have other spots all moving in.

It's funny how the times have changed for the Miami River. There was a time that no business would go near the Miami River due to all the pollution and the bad odor from the river. The City of Miami spent millions cleaning that strip of the Miami River.
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby pod on 20 Dec 2017 16:45

Occasionally a floater surfaces but that's life.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby davenavarro on 20 Dec 2017 18:16

LeVeL wrote:Wharf is the Wynwood Yard, but on the Miami River. American Social was on the Miami River before Wharf

Over the last couple of years there has been a push open up these hip spots on the Miami River. Before it was simply Garcia's and Casablanca's now you have other spots all moving in.

It's funny how the times have changed for the Miami River. There was a time that no business would go near the Miami River due to all the pollution and the bad odor from the river. The City of Miami spent millions cleaning that strip of the Miami River.

Good point Level. The Wharf basically is the Wynwood Yard, but on the River. American Social has already been there for a few years, and before it was American Social it used to be Waxy O'Connors. I also read that They're going to open up a Gramps on the River. I think I'll definitely go check that place out when it opens.
davenavarro

Next

Return to talk about Nightlife