Miami night club news from the source

The death blow of DJS in Miami.....

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby coach on 02 Jan 2018 16:04

Re: The death blow of DJS in Miami.....

slamminshaun wrote:Here's a snippet of an excellent article in today's NY Times....

That’s because, for the art of D.J.ing, technology has been as much of a disrupter as it has been a boon.

But, how is this different from pretty much every other job?
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby TechJunkie on 03 Jan 2018 19:11

pod wrote:That and also so you don't give them repeat traffic.

Are you a member of the "NYTimes Is Evil" club?
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby The Honky Tonk Man on 29 Jan 2018 12:32

davenavarro wrote:
coach wrote:Well, have you seen the rest of South Beach? I don't think it is just the clubs. I just walked down Washington Ave and I would guess that at least 2/3rds of the storefronts there are shuttered, especially on the East side. Of course, Lincoln has been like Dolphin Mall for a few years, now, but each month it just gets more so.

Does the shuttering of dozens of businesses indicate the demise of DJs in Miami, or do they both have a different root cause?

That being said, anyone have hotel numbers? I'm curious how that part of the game is going. If it is still going strong, where are all those people going?

Also, we already have a Boca nearby, why do we need another one?

Your commentary about Wharf, "and I expect the big players are secretly watching Emi ready to duplicate it. " is dead on one of the issues afflicting Miami, a significant lack of creativity. There are a few people, like Emi, who will go out and try something new, but very few. Then the vultures hop on and duplicate their idea 100 times. Never works, just results in a glut of the same old, same old, and a lot of bad Yelp reviews. It is not good in the long term.

Sorry Coach, but what is the Wharf doing that is so innovative and new? There used to be a place called Finnegans River that was open on the Miami River for over 5 years. They may not have had food trucks, but the did serve food, and they had a great view of the Miami River. When Finnegans closed down River Yacht Club opened up in the same spot. The Wharf might be doing well now, but let's see how they do in July or August when it's hotter than the Devil's butthole outside.

I went to that Finnegans, it was so poorly done they should have been thrown in jail...
The Honky Tonk Man
Retired Club Legend

Postby LeVeL on 31 Jan 2018 11:53

I have been to Wharf a couple of time's in the past month and I like the place. I find the place to be a pre-game spot or a place to go to in the afternoons for a cocktail. The place has a nice view of the Brickell skyline.

As far as the music is concerned its made of up of TOP 40 Pop Hits and some old school tracks. I would not recommend the spot to any music head and if you are looking to hear hot tunes this is not the spot for you.

Its a place where the age group ranges from late 20's to the early 50's. The place is not a threat to any Nightclubs or DJ's whatsoever.

I wonder if they will host any Conference events or have any Guest DJ's in the future?
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby pod on 31 Jan 2018 14:27

I doubt anything will happen there for Conference. No reason to really. Conference/MMW has declined and there's no reason for Wharf to compete for a MMW party, in my opinion. Go with what's doing good for you.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Previous

Return to talk about Nightlife