Miami night club news from the source

Conspiracy to shut down Heart, E11even and Space?

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby Kamen on 06 Nov 2017 19:55

Re: Conspiracy to shut down Heart, E11even and Space?

Welcome to the banana republic.
Kamen

Postby coach on 07 Nov 2017 12:42

Along with the push to close down South Beach nightclubs, this could really be ruinous to the south Florida economy. The club and bar owners, all of them from both sides of the bay, really need to band together to push back against this as a group. I mean this is JOBS. They also need to enlist the aid of the Department of Cultural Affairs. Music is an art. Nightlife is culture. There was also just an attempt by Related group to buy the Olympia theatre, tear it down, "rebuild" it with a billion condos above it. The nightclub and arts communities need to get over their ego issues and fight this back, otherwise there will be nothing left. The developers don't care because nobody lives in those condos, anyway, they are just cash stashes for Russians and South Americans.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby davenavarro on 08 Nov 2017 21:43

Coach what South Beach nightclubs are they trying to close down? Are you talking about Ocean Drive? Because I think all of the places on Ocean Drive are bars and restaurants. Perhaps Mangos could be considered a club, but I think that most locals know that the place is just a crappy, overpriced tourist trap.
davenavarro

Purpose of your visit?: My Real Name is Sergio

Postby LeVeL on 09 Nov 2017 10:24

I am very happy the South Beach Elitist voted No on the 2am closing times. It was not only a win for South Beach residents, but for everyone in South Florida.

The War is not over with the developers though and they will try to attack other regions like Wynwood, Park West, Brickell etc
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby benm3 on 09 Nov 2017 19:11

davenavarro wrote:Coach what South Beach nightclubs are they trying to close down? Are you talking about Ocean Drive? Because I think all of the places on Ocean Drive are bars and restaurants. Perhaps Mangos could be considered a club, but I think that most locals know that the place is just a crappy, overpriced tourist trap.

Nobody living in Miami Beach really cares what happens to Ocean Drive itself - the place needs to be demolished and started over. It isn't about Ocean Drive though - it's about the government coming in with a heavy-handed measure with an unacceptable level of collateral damage.

The city was due to vote on shutting down Sunset Harbor at 2AM just a few months ago, a vote that was fortunately postponed. Not because of crime, but because of aging residents (newly moved here I might add) who want to turn Miami Beach back into a sleepy retirement community.

If the 2AM ban on Ocean Drive had been approved, it would have been a lot easier for the folks trying to turn this place into Naples to get 2AM laws enacted in their own little corners of the city. I have no doubt we'd have seen 2AM limitations imposed on all of the Sofi neighborhood next, with the ban moving further north every year.

I'm sure the businesses on Ocean Drive were poised to sued the city over an unfair 2AM alcohol sale ban (which Levine wouldn't have to worry about because he is gone), or started lobbying to implement a 2AM ban everywhere else. In any case, Miami Beach as a whole would have lost out.
benm3

Postby TechJunkie on 13 Nov 2017 10:48

benm3 wrote:The city was due to vote on shutting down Sunset Harbor at 2AM just a few months ago, a vote that was fortunately postponed. Not because of crime, but because of aging residents (newly moved here I might add) who want to turn Miami Beach back into a sleepy retirement community.

Sunset Harbor residents want to turn Miami Beach into a community without random gunfire. Arriola sponsored that ordinance after the shooting outside of Purdy Lounge. For 17 years, people have been okay with the music there. The push to restrict the hours came after somebody pulled out a gun in the middle of the night and started shooting into the air next to a high-rise apartment building.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby coach on 13 Nov 2017 14:38

One random shooting in 17 years and we all panic? Trying to make changes without any proof that it would have any effect, while at the same time would definitely hurt local businesspeople.
coach

What do you do?

Postby coach on 13 Nov 2017 14:42

I am glad we crushed this, AGAIN. I've been here 14 years and that is at least the 3rd or 4th time we have had to put it down. And each time we do, it is not just put down, it is crushed. At some point, the commissioners have to stop listening to that small group of loud whiners and listen to the will of the majority.

I would love to see voting ratios by location. I wonder how many of those No votes actually came from withing a half-mile of Ocean Drive.
coach

What do you do?

Postby TechJunkie on 13 Nov 2017 19:14

I voted against the 2 AM ordinance and I'm glad that it failed. I'm a Belle Isle resident. I would also vote against the 2 AM ordinance for Sunset Harbor. Even though personally I'm rarely out in public past 2 AM.

But let's not pretend that it was about old fogies who don't like fun and want to outlaw dancing. It was about crime.

And let's not pretend that there is no evidence linking closing times and crime rates. I already posted a sampling of some of the researching into the correlation between closing times and violent crime rates. You know that the evidence exists because I pointed it out and you acknowledged it. Don't act like a climate science denier and pretend that there is no evidence of a correlation.

Knowing that there is a correlation, I still want some areas near me to go all night. I want there to be specially-designated fun zones, and I want to live near them. It's worth the cost.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Return to talk about Nightlife