Miami night club news from the source

Larry Heard opposed to nightclub photography.

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby pod on 07 Aug 2017 08:36

Larry Heard opposed to nightclub photography.

http://mixmag.net/read/larry-heard-on-n ... ut-as-news

In a recent interview with the Guardian, the innovative producer touched on why photos in the club should never be a focus: “Everyone is peering and leering at you, taking pictures and video. It’s awkward, it’s uncomfortable. It’s the opposite of what clubs started out as: a haven away from everything, as opposed to somewhere to expose. I’m not doing an exhibition – I’m trying to release myself.”

He's right, it's a bit much.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby TechJunkie on 07 Aug 2017 12:29

Re: Larry Heard opposed to nightclub photography.

Aside from all of the predictable things that we'll say about how phones and social media changed the nightlife experience...

Night clubs used to do their marketing with posters and flyers and email lists. Now it's all on social media. Clubs need photographers more now than ever, for generating flattering social media nuggets.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby colione98 on 08 Aug 2017 00:34

TechJunkie wrote:Aside from all of the predictable things that we'll say about how phones and social media changed the nightlife experience...

Night clubs used to do their marketing with posters and flyers and email lists. Now it's all on social media. Clubs need photographers more now than ever, for generating flattering social media nuggets.

I respect the man and his worth, but I have no respect for this garbage that he is spewing. He is part of the problem that he is so-called "opposed" to.

While I can also see what are you saying, I don't think Larry is talking in the context of nightlife photographers. Instead, he is referencing the non-dancing crowd that just stares at you with a sea of flash/video. Unfortunately, it's an issue that stems from dominant culture. In the underground world, the only way to make money today is to play in front of dominant culture tech/techno crowds because soulful/house doesn't pay. Even here in las vegas, it's either mainstream top/40-EDM or techy/techno- there is no middle space. To give you an example, Jesse Saunders plays to an empty pool here at Drais Las Vegas damn near every week.. We are talking about Jesse Saunders who is along the Larry lineage.

So, these guys have to do the next best thing- play to a stagnant dominant culture aka those who pretty much don't dance, but two finger salute shuffle and gaze at the dj.. Not to mention, the dj is on main stage with all kindzzz of lightzzz and shit. What do they expect?

Look at the ritzy ole man larry heard himself at the dimensions festival playing his hit - "can you feel it". Look at the crowd, look at the stage lighting, and tell me if you give any of his comments credence.. He hasn't done shit for house music after the 80s so he can eat a dick as far as I am concerned..

phpBB [media]
colione98

Love Your Enemies, It Pisses Them Off!

http://www.mix58fm.com

Postby colione98 on 08 Aug 2017 00:42

If parties were like this, Larry wouldn't be complaining. Sadly, he hasn't done anything to continue and/or bring this movement back. So, again, he can eat a dick...

phpBB [media]
colione98

Love Your Enemies, It Pisses Them Off!

http://www.mix58fm.com

Postby pod on 08 Aug 2017 08:08

That's a good point. If he doesn't want people taking photos, then maybe he should move his booth to the side of the room.

However, his overall point is valid. It's a bit much. I really don't do nightclub photos these days, but I see a lot of people out there doing it, and there's maybe one person in town I actually consider to be good at it.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby kryptonite on 08 Aug 2017 18:38

[quote="colione98"]

... but I have no respect for this garbage that he is spewing. He is part of the problem...

how so?

... I don't think Larry is talking in the context of nightlife photographers. Instead, he is referencing the non-dancing crowd...

if i read the article right, this is what he was talking about. isnt this the new reality? the white girl shimmy. even the guys do it, no?

.. here in las vegas, it's either mainstream top/40-EDM or techy/techno- there is no middle space...

that sucks for you, me, and everyone who knows/knew better.

.. the dj is on main stage with all kindzzz of lightzzz and shit...
Look at the ritzy ole man larry heard himself at the dimensions fest...

i think festivals always have stages with lights n shit. i understood from the article hes talking bout the phones in the club.

He hasn't done shit for house music after the 80s so he can eat a dick as far as I am concerned..

dont even know what to say bout that. especially since the new jacks havent come up w anything better, fresher, or funkier (according to me)). when is the new generation gona create a genre thats going to take over popular music the way house has? look at your dreaded las vegas top tunes...pitbull, house, kanye, house, katie, rianna, arianna etc, etc, etc whoever...house house house. you hear it everywhere. still..today.. aint u cats tired of it??? ill answer. no u aint.

the second part of your comment i would watch out for. you may be projecting.. but hey.. thats house! gay and black.

"too black, too strong
check this out!"
kryptonite

Purpose of your visit?: to p.u.o.s.u

Postby kryptonite on 08 Aug 2017 19:01

[quote="colione98"]If parties were like this, Larry wouldn't be complainin..."

neither would you. talking bout (in other posts) how we need shared experiences n all that plur type jazz. foo that bus left long time ago.
dancing, gettin down, sweating, getting ugly, not caring whos watching cause your head aint tilted to the right, or your hands aint doing the portrait thing under your chin.. its a different party. the amount of self conciousness / narcissism combo thats reflected in todays smart phone party, to our music, is the new party. i really do believe that the new crowd would rather check in,snap, or insta rather than fuck, let alone dance.

now, concerning the video, im really glad u posted it, and this could be used as a perfect example of the "to observe is to disturb" theory.

what is going on in the video wasnt the underground party of yesterday. gather round kids, daddys talkin now..

yesterdays underground party was raw, unfiltered, un refined, and most noticably, non white (not sayin white people werent there). i totally agree with the camp that believes once mainstream white america gets a hold of the stuff that darkies are into, theyre version always sucks(with music at least) . they always fuck it up.

combine that with the smartphone and the disinterest its created in minding your own fkn business, cause now we mind errybodys business. who the fuck is gona wanna dance in an environment like that?? riddle me that fuckers
kryptonite

Purpose of your visit?: to p.u.o.s.u

Return to talk about Nightlife