Miami night club news from the source

Locals petition to move Ultra from Bayfront Park

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby pod on 26 Jul 2017 10:52

Re: Locals petition to move Ultra from Bayfront Park

More needless grandstanding by the cowards in the DNA.

Ultra and Rolling Loud add much needed revenue to private and public coffers in the area. The residents have no right to regulate or deny the operation of businesses not explicitly on their property.

In other words - mind your own fucking business.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby LeVeL on 27 Jul 2017 09:44

pod wrote:More needless grandstanding by the cowards in the DNA.

Ultra and Rolling Loud add much needed revenue to private and public coffers in the area. The residents have no right to regulate or deny the operation of businesses not explicitly on their property.

In other words - mind your own fucking business.

I agree.

Real locals want Ultra to stick around. The ones bitching are those folks that have moved to those condo's from other states and counties trying to be elitist by bitching about anything.
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby coach on 27 Jul 2017 10:31

Ummm... I know for a fact that ULTRA pays Bayfront's bills for the year, pretty much, and that allows the park to host all those freebie things (yoga, etc) that you love, you bunch of dumbasses. If Ultra moves, they are going to have to basically shut down Bayfront and Museum park. I mean, does ANYBODY know that those parks run entirely independently? They take no money from the City or County.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby TechJunkie on 27 Jul 2017 12:58

This site twisted itself in a flame-war knot for months when I said this in 2010:

TechJunkie wrote:I foresee a very predictable conflict between DWNTN Miami residents and loud, late-night events like Ultra over the next... decade.
All I'm trying to say is that we have seen this movie before. Popular, loud party. Somebody builds an apartment building. People move in. Residents start bitching about the popular, loud party. Who always wins?

That was of course correct, but because I said it here people called me a douchebag for months. "It's not at all like Opium Garden, you douchebag!" Yeah well guess what: It's exactly like Opium Garden.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby davenavarro on 27 Jul 2017 18:12

coach wrote:Ummm... I know for a fact that ULTRA pays Bayfront's bills for the year, pretty much, and that allows the park to host all those freebie things (yoga, etc) that you love, you bunch of dumbasses. If Ultra moves, they are going to have to basically shut down Bayfront and Museum park. I mean, does ANYBODY know that those parks run entirely independently? They take no money from the City or County.

Coach what makes you think that they'd have to shutdown Bayfront Park if Ultra moves? I've been going to concerts and events at Bayfront Park since 1994, and I'm sure that the place was open long before that. I really doubt that the park would have to close down if Ultra were to move.
davenavarro

Purpose of your visit?: My Real Name is Sergio

Postby coach on 30 Jul 2017 16:32

davenavarro wrote:
coach wrote:Ummm... I know for a fact that ULTRA pays Bayfront's bills for the year, pretty much, and that allows the park to host all those freebie things (yoga, etc) that you love, you bunch of dumbasses. If Ultra moves, they are going to have to basically shut down Bayfront and Museum park. I mean, does ANYBODY know that those parks run entirely independently? They take no money from the City or County.

Coach what makes you think that they'd have to shutdown Bayfront Park if Ultra moves? I've been going to concerts and events at Bayfront Park since 1994, and I'm sure that the place was open long before that. I really doubt that the park would have to close down if Ultra were to move.

Well, explain where they are going to make up the revenue that comes from Ultra. This ain't 1994, anymore, gramps.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby pod on 30 Jul 2017 18:16

Coach has a point, and as he has said elsewhere, Bayfront Park isn't really city property, and it has to pay for itself. Ultra enables just that. Yes, Ultra is annoying and full of cracky little spoiled kids, but it pays the bills.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby davenavarro on 30 Jul 2017 22:09

That's hilarious Coach. You calling me Gramps. Like I said, Bayfront Park was there before Ultra, and it will still be there long after Ultra. You do know that they have various concerts and events at Bayfront Park throughout the year, right? You make it seem like if Ultra is the only event that's held at Bayfront Park every year.
davenavarro

Purpose of your visit?: My Real Name is Sergio

Postby pod on 31 Jul 2017 19:16

Bayfront Park was around before Ultra, sure. But remember it wasn't always managed by Bayfront Park Trust. Ultra ensures that organization stays solvent to manage the park.

Is there other events? Yes. But absolutely none of the scale of Ultra. Ultra leaves, and the Park will suffer greatly. In the end, it's the taxpayers of the City of Miami that will take the hit, since undoubtedly there'd have to be a rearrangement of managing the place to make up for the shortfall.

In an ideal world, it would be treated like any other private entity, but you know it won't.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Next

Return to talk about Nightlife