Miami night club news from the source

Locals petition to move Ultra from Bayfront Park

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby TechJunkie on 07 Aug 2017 10:53

Re: Locals petition to move Ultra from Bayfront Park

AWESOME, I graduated from "douchebag"!

Over a thousand people signed the petition.

If the Downtown Neighbors Alliance can't prevent the Ultra contract from getting renewed then their Plan B will be to try to prevent alcohol sales at Ultra. There is a law on the books that hasn't been enforced for decades that bans alcohol sales at big music events in Bayfront.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby coach on 07 Aug 2017 18:38

And for those who don't know, the highly skilled director of Bayfront Trust recently left the organization, so currently they are without decent leadership. He was really an amazing person and did fantastic things for that park.

Again, just like Pod said, if Ultra goes, someone is going to have to make up that funding gap. Probably the tax payers.

Also, you will almost certainly see less local activation in the park. With Ultra paying most of their bills, they are easily able to let local producers do their own events there for nearly free.

Also, someone mentioned that they survived on concerts and such pre-ULTRA, which I first remind you was a LONG time ago and times and changed. But, secondly, if the condotards complain about Ultra, why would they not complain about other concerts? I realize that other concerts are not quite so loud, but still, it would not surprise me to see them complain about those, as well.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby davenavarro on 08 Aug 2017 19:14

coach wrote:And for those who don't know, the highly skilled director of Bayfront Trust recently left the organization, so currently they are without decent leadership. He was really an amazing person and did fantastic things for that park.

Again, just like Pod said, if Ultra goes, someone is going to have to make up that funding gap. Probably the tax payers.

Also, you will almost certainly see less local activation in the park. With Ultra paying most of their bills, they are easily able to let local producers do their own events there for nearly free.

Also, someone mentioned that they survived on concerts and such pre-ULTRA, which I first remind you was a LONG time ago and times and changed. But, secondly, if the condotards complain about Ultra, why would they not complain about other concerts? I realize that other concerts are not quite so loud, but still, it would not surprise me to see them complain about those, as well.

Nope. There were concerts at Bayfront Park long before Ultra. They've continued having concerts there since the late 90's, early 00's, and ever since. Bayfront Park is arguably Miami's best (and actually it might be the only) outdoor music venue. Ultra can be cancelled next year, and they'll still be having plenty of concerts and events at Bayfront Park.
Last edited by davenavarro on 08 Aug 2017 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
davenavarro

Purpose of your visit?: My Real Name is Sergio

Postby davenavarro on 08 Aug 2017 19:18

coach wrote:And for those who don't know, the highly skilled director of Bayfront Trust recently left the organization, so currently they are without decent leadership. He was really an amazing person and did fantastic things for that park.

Why don't they complain about other concerts Coach? Do you not have any common sense? Other outdoor concerts last for 2 hours at the most, and they're not 3 day festivals that bring an additional 30,000-40,000 people to the neighborhood per day like Ultra does. Other concerts also don't make as much noise as Ultra does, nor do they cause the traffic nightmare that Ultra does.
davenavarro

Purpose of your visit?: My Real Name is Sergio

Postby pod on 09 Aug 2017 09:51

Traffic nightmare. Simple. Just don't fucking go to Downtown Miami on Ultra weekend.

Or if you live there, plan ahead and stay indoors. Or go outside. Don't be a scold.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby LeVeL on 09 Aug 2017 09:52

pod wrote:Traffic nightmare. Simple. Just don't fucking go to Downtown Miami on Ultra weekend.

Or if you live there, plan ahead and stay indoors. Or go outside. Don't be a scold.

I agree
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby coach on 14 Aug 2017 01:17

davenavarro wrote:

Why don't they complain about other concerts Coach? Do you not have any common sense? Other outdoor concerts last for 2 hours at the most, and they're not 3 day festivals that bring an additional 30,000-40,000 people to the neighborhood per day like Ultra does. Other concerts also don't make as much noise as Ultra does, nor do they cause the traffic nightmare that Ultra does.

Common sense is for commoners like yourself. I know people way better than you do, obviously. We have seen it many times. Once the whiners get rid of the biggest fish, they move on down the line.
coach

What do you do?

Postby coach on 14 Aug 2017 01:20

davenavarro wrote:

Nope. There were concerts at Bayfront Park long before Ultra. They've continued having concerts there since the late 90's, early 00's, and ever since. Bayfront Park is arguably Miami's best (and actually it might be the only) outdoor music venue. Ultra can be cancelled next year, and they'll still be having plenty of concerts and events at Bayfront Park.

You seem to be missing the point. Ultra supplies a large chunk of their annual budget. I mean, if you suddenly lost 60% of your paycheck, could you continue to spend as you do, now?

Also, many of the concerts at Bayfront Park are at the bandshell, which is managed by Ticketmaster. Bayfront gets an annual rental fee, but I doubt if the number of concerts in the bandshell make a significant impact on their bottom line.
coach

What do you do?

Previous

Return to talk about Nightlife