Miami night club news from the source

Fyre Festival

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby TechJunkie on 30 Apr 2017 08:33

Re: Fyre Festival

Cool1g wrote:
TechJunkie wrote:FYI: The FTC does not require the "#ad" hashtag. Their guidelines suggest full disclosure, that's all. (I'm responsible for dozens of marketing social media posts per day.)

This Fyre thing could have been a Black Mirror episode. Like Nosedive, but more about the gap between social media reality and real reality. The product that Fyre was trying to sell was the idea that you can pull up a photo from the Rich Kids of Instagram and step into the world in the picture. But even the kids in the Rich Kids of Instagram don't really live in that fantasy reality. Disappointment at the real reality of the festival was inevitable from the start.

i just saw this past week or so the FTC is now requiring however you disclose its an 'ad' or promotion that it must be in the 1st 3 lines of the text on the instagram post as people many times don't click on the 'more' part to read the rest... so you can't bury the fact its an ad where its not seen...

The FTC requires disclosure. Nothing specific. They don't require an "#ad" hashtag or specific details about the first line of text or anything like that.

The guidelines are here:

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busines ... are-asking
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby Cool1g on 30 Apr 2017 14:09

TechJunkie wrote:
Cool1g wrote:
TechJunkie wrote:FYI: The FTC does not require the "#ad" hashtag. Their guidelines suggest full disclosure, that's all. (I'm responsible for dozens of marketing social media posts per day.)

This Fyre thing could have been a Black Mirror episode. Like Nosedive, but more about the gap between social media reality and real reality. The product that Fyre was trying to sell was the idea that you can pull up a photo from the Rich Kids of Instagram and step into the world in the picture. But even the kids in the Rich Kids of Instagram don't really live in that fantasy reality. Disappointment at the real reality of the festival was inevitable from the start.

i just saw this past week or so the FTC is now requiring however you disclose its an 'ad' or promotion that it must be in the 1st 3 lines of the text on the instagram post as people many times don't click on the 'more' part to read the rest... so you can't bury the fact its an ad where its not seen...

The FTC requires disclosure. Nothing specific. They don't require an "#ad" hashtag or specific details about the first line of text or anything like that.

The guidelines are here:

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busines ... are-asking

yeah that's what I said... I didn't say you need to tag #ad just that however you mention its a paid post must be done in the 1st three lines :)

here's their new PR on this:

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-r ... y-disclose
Cool1g

Postby TechJunkie on 01 May 2017 10:25

Thanks that was interesting news to me, about people getting nastygram for not disclosing above the fold on Instagram. It's kind of funny that the FTC doesn't even know if those people were really endorsing anything or not.
TechJunkie

Postby DannyD on 01 May 2017 12:12

It was a great weekend for South Beach, record sales all around, packed clubs everywhere...Thanks Ja Rule!
DannyD

Location: My house is your house and in my house there's only house music
Purpose of your visit?: to Talk about Nightlife in South Florida

Postby pod on 01 May 2017 12:16

Guess Brittany and Maddysyn called Daddy...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-05-0 ... unts-fraud

Sunday evening, a class-action lawsuit was filed against event organizers Ja Rule, Billy McFarland, and their company, Fyre Media, Inc. A copy of the filing was provided to iBankCoin.com by Geragos & Geragos - the high profile law firm which has represented such clients as Michael Jackson, Chris Brown, Winona Ryder, Ke$ha, and former Bill Clinton business partner Sousan McDougal.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby coach on 01 May 2017 13:55

benm3 wrote:This is what happens when 3 kids running a start-up try to apply the Lean startup "fail fast" mentality in running a major festival. You can see it clear as day with the "it took on a life of it's own" quote from the main founder guy.

Yeah, this really pisses me off. Event Production, like photography, writing or art, any idiot thinks they can just do it. Give a moron a nice camera and suddenly they are a master photographer. Give someone a tent vendor and suddenly they are an event producer.

That being said, I don't understand what went wrong? I mean, obviously very little money was spent on the production. Where did it all go? Did they not sell enough tickets? Did their major sponsors pull out at the last second? Did they smoke it all? Did the tent vendor run off to Siberia with it all? It just seems like, if the money was short, at some point before the show, they would have known. At that point, you cancel or postpone.

Secondly, did they really look around at that crappy setup and say, "Yeah, this is a hyper-VIP experience?" I mean, it was obviously not, how did they let it go on? It seems like at some point at least a week before, they would have known they did not have a VIP experience going, and you cancel or postpone.

The fact that they went ahead with the festival is just beyond belief. I mean, there's inexperience and then there is just plain stupidity.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby Kamen on 02 May 2017 00:09

Investor Pitch deck for Fyre Festival and app.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/photos/2017/05/fyre-festival-pitch-deck#1

FULL DECK:
https://www.scribd.com/document/346949516/Fyre-Festival-Pitch-Deck?secret_password=3WgwQ2IQvEJWPLuajv5J#fullscreen&from_embed

There's one slide in there that immediately made me think of the movie "The Producers". Can you tell which one?

At first I thought this fiasco was simply another example of millennial incompetence and overreaching, now I'm not so sure.

I think the models and celebrities who are featured in that pitch deck could be in for some serious lawsuit hell from multiple class action lawyers who always go after the people with deep pockets.
Kamen

Postby TechJunkie on 02 May 2017 09:37

The whole thing was a failed publicity stunt for a tech startup with a talent booking SaaS app? I had no idea...
TechJunkie

Postby pod on 02 May 2017 11:09

The deck, it's horrible.

phpBB [media]

I feel bad for the actual workers listed in the deck - they'll have this big black spot on their resumé...it can be overcome, but it'll take work.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby LeVeL on 02 May 2017 11:22

Wow what a disaster and to blame the rain or weather is a cop out. These guys took it to another level

This reminds me of the GoBig Promotions blaming Hurricane Sandy, which hit the Northeast for the cancellation of their festival here in South Florida. :roll:
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

PreviousNext

Return to talk about Nightlife