Miami night club news from the source

I'm told Sobe is really dead this year.. Any truth to that?

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby benm3 on 09 Mar 2017 00:04

Re: I'm told Sobe is really dead this year.. Any truth to th

Lived most of my life in Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area.

Doesn't hold a candle to Miami Beach.
benm3

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby pod on 09 Mar 2017 07:56

NMB 4 LIFE

#thetriggering
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby TechJunkie on 09 Mar 2017 08:14

Reasons Pod loves where he lives:

• the asphalt
  • the traffic jams
  • easy access to many different fast food options
  • Bed, Bath & Beyond! (Because who wants to live some place bland and mainstream?)
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby Wayne S. Noches on 09 Mar 2017 08:53

TechJunkie wrote:Reasons Pod loves where he lives:

• the asphalt
  • the traffic jams
  • easy access to many different fast food options
  • Bed, Bath & Beyond! (Because who wants to live some place bland and mainstream?)

...and Gun stores :mrgreen:
Wayne S. Noches

Purpose of your visit?: News
Dogs...can you hear me, Dogs?

Postby JMT on 09 Mar 2017 09:30

It takes a lot of confidence to live in South Beach.
JMT

Postby TechJunkie on 09 Mar 2017 09:38

Har har. You have people here saying that they're afraid to raise kids here or even drive around the streets here, so maybe so.
TechJunkie

Postby pod on 09 Mar 2017 10:05

Wayne S. Noches wrote:...and Gun stores :mrgreen:

Not an FFL worth a damn in NMB. Nearest trustworthy ones are in Wynwood (haha - epic trolling), Broward, Hialeah/ML/Opa-Locka, and South Dade.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby kryptonite on 09 Mar 2017 11:47

TechJunkie wrote:It's hard for me to look at the Frank Gehry building that a friend of mine set up financing for on a night when Pulse has a DJ like Spam playing with an orchestra and call that bland, uninteresting and mainstream. That 1111 building doesn't strike me as any of those things. South Pointe Park is boring? That new pier? Having a marathon or a triathlon blow through town every couple of weeks? Do bland and uninteresting places have horse jumping competitions and polo matches on the beach while kite surfers cruise around? I ride 14 miles a day on a bicycle down Lincoln Road, down the beach walk, and over Venetian-style arch bridges -- JUST LIKE PEOPLE DO EVERYWHERE ELSE IN THE COUNTRY.

If your idea of debauchery is anything that happened in night clubs then please know that there are levels far beyond that. But you seem to be contradicting yourself: You don't like South Beach because you think that the debauchery ended, but you didn't want to raise a kid here because of the debauchery?
kryptonite

Purpose of your visit?: to p.u.o.s.u

Postby kryptonite on 09 Mar 2017 12:44

kryptonite wrote:
TechJunkie wrote:It's hard for me to look at the Frank Gehry building that a friend of mine set up financing for on a night when Pulse has a DJ like Spam playing with an orchestra and call that bland, uninteresting and mainstream. That 1111 building doesn't strike me as any of those things. South Pointe Park is boring? That new pier? Having a marathon or a triathlon blow through town every couple of weeks? Do bland and uninteresting places have horse jumping competitions and polo matches on the beach while kite surfers cruise around? I ride 14 miles a day on a bicycle down Lincoln Road, down the beach walk, and over Venetian-style arch bridges -- JUST LIKE PEOPLE DO EVERYWHERE ELSE IN THE COUNTRY.

If your idea of debauchery is anything that happened in night clubs then please know that there are levels far beyond that. But you seem to be contradicting yourself: You don't like South Beach because you think that the debauchery ended, but you didn't want to raise a kid here because of the debauchery?

Yes, i own up to my double standard. The point is that the beach today is very different from the beach of the past. A beach that i would not want to raise a fimily in. No way. I came from the nightlife scene of that era. Thats what there was. The party. Everyone around us was livin that life so i made my exit. There was literally drugs and cum flowing down 5th st. Not my baby! Lol. And most def no green bike lanes.

Ffwd to today, the beach looks picture perfect for the affluent to raise their kids in. That is what the beach reflect now (to me) in 2017. Just like nyc does today.

I agree with you, things change. If we were to do the timewarp thing and place me & fam on sobe today, AND i had the funds to retreat into the continuum where my nanny, uber eats and publix delivery take care of the day to day, sure id do it, till i got bored of polo & marathons w my hyperfit, hyper health business associate neighbors, then id move on, to wherever they've decided was "hot" to colonize. And the cycle begins all over.

The new world symphony is great. Glad to know u know the guy who got the funds together. That was important to know (sarcasm). They probably still do the free wed concerts that we used to enjoy regularly when down on lincoln rd. So is le spam. Been a fan since hoy como ayer, great for them. THAT is exciting. But when i step foot out the concert hall, and take a stroll down lincoln, chain stores left and right and the people who flock to them as an attraction on lincoln road, that aint my thing. It may be yours thats cool, but sorry man, bland & mainstrean scream at me.

South point park has always been great. Just enjoyed differently back then. Used to bang chicks in the towers, that park will always hold a special place in my heart! Today its pretty, but does smith & wollensky really need to be there? Great steak but it clutters my view and interrupts my peace. I know its a big park, ill hang at the other end.

The pier, cmon son. That was the destination from 12-16 yrs of age. Constantly jumping off it. have you tried? highly recommend doing it at least once, live a little. Fishing for barracuda. then latter, tripping acid on the rocks.. Most def it needed a facelift. I love it.

I love the beach. How could i not. But to sum it all up in my world view, thru my glasses, it looks like commercial caca is here to stay. That fuckin best buy/tjmaxx/publix building that you now see is symbolic of what the beach now stands for. Even the brito (wich i always though was a biter off haring) looks disposable. Catering to those in the buildings that rule sobe today. Makes me wanna puke when i come across the bridge and cant see the palm trees & pretty blue ocean. But i get it, its progress.

You made a comment that people (me) are scared of raising kids there. Now ur walking the kellyanne rope again, dont come at me sideways. My point of view comes from the 80's 90's beach, not todays commercial utopia. Shit, its squeeky clean now.

My perspective comes from the beach that flew under the radar of the people who are now enjoying it in a different way than i did, and for a completely different reason. We used the place to get away from what the beach represents today. The bland ass mainstream. Clear enough?

Im not arguing that u are wrong and i am right. I argue what i see thu my eyes, and im really not that important.
kryptonite

Purpose of your visit?: to p.u.o.s.u

Postby TechJunkie on 09 Mar 2017 13:35

You said a few things that seem to reveal that you're not that familiar with the beach lately. The pier that you jumped off of when you were 12 was destroyed over ten years ago and has since been replaced with an amazing new piece of decidedly-non-bland architecture. The free concerts at the New World Symphony have become a public "Wallcast" on Saturdays with a ten-story-tall, 8k video presentation and a sound system as loud as as an outdoor rock concert but with much better quality and with huge subwoofers the size of Volkswagens.

I get all of the jabs about how only wealthy people can live here but I have not always had decent income when I lived here. I have been so poor that I couldn't afford to stop for coffee at any of the sidewalk cafes that I passed every day. The experience of having plenty of money, then having no money, made me realize that money doesn't have much of an impact on happiness. I was always happy here through all of the ups and downs and through all of the changes. There is always something new here. Hard to say that about where you live.

Having friends who set up the projects to build things here that cost hundreds of millions of dollars and change the landscape is important to me. You wanted to know why I like it here and that's a subjective question so that's part of the answer. It's a similar sort of pride that I feel from knowing that we ripped out the lion at the MGM Grand and replaced it with Hakkasan branding and literally changed the face of the Las Vegas Strip. And that symphony and the culture that we have here is part of why South Beach is so much better than Las Vegas, and why I refuse to move there. We almost called Omnia "Symphony" instead, and if we had then the only symphony in Las Vegas would have been a night club.

If the buildings blocking the view of the palm trees irritates you then you might want to consider that there are places in Florida with very similar geography, better weather, and way less population density. I grew up in Melbourne, where there is a barrier island two miles off of the mainland and causeways across the inter coastal just like here. But there are no luxury condo buildings, no eight-figure public parks, no trolly system or any other sort of public transportation, and none of those businesses that you hate are interested in opening up shop there. For some people that's awesome, but I moved here instead because I like all of the stuff that you hate.
TechJunkie

PreviousNext

Return to talk about Nightlife