Miami night club news from the source

How house music came to Miami

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby pod on 11 Jan 2017 19:17

How house music came to Miami

https://thenewtropic.com/house-music-history/

Falcon was a young DJ coming of age at the time. Born in the Bronx, he moved to Miami as a toddler in 1972 and got his start in music as a mobile DJ at 16, teaming up soon after with childhood friend Oscar Gaetan, better known to the world as Oscar G.

The duo, who first met in third grade, went on to form the legendary record label and production group Murk, which put Miami on the house music map, long before the city had a love/hate relationship with Ultra Music Festival.

“When we were growing up in the 1980s, there was really nothing,” Falcon remembers.

“Where I first heard the term house music was at Club Nu in 1987 on 21st Street and Collins, where the Bass Museum is now. There was a DJ called Aldo Hernandez, a friend of mine, who used to play there. That’s where I first heard of Trax, DJ International, Strictly. You had to play a mixture of stuff then, Expose, Grace Jones, Secret Society. House really comes from disco. You could go back to the disco days in the ‘70s with places like Scaramouche, Honey for the Bears, Ensign Bitters in Coconut Grove. Now there’s clubs everywhere.”
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby colione98 on 12 Jan 2017 21:22

Re: How house music came to Miami

Thanks for the post. I am always a fan of house music history. HOWEVER, I may catch some heat for this but this is TNL, where we come to discuss nightlife right? And besides, we are all family.

I actually have been wanting to make this post so this is very fitting. I am going write with my nightclub consulting hat on so stick with me.... 8-)

So, Oscar G has a new residency at a place in DC, where I currently live called Toro Toro, which I am familiar with. As I have been involved in nightclub/dj consulting over the past few years, and after learning so much from Miami, I have studied the local DC scene. So, this gig puzzles me in particular. It actually really makes me wonder but I was able to put some things together.

First, Toro Toro is a restaurant with a club/lounge in the lower floor. It opened a couple years ago to Robbie Rivera on Saturdays. The week after, it was another mainstream bigroom act, followed by another. Then all of a sudden, it stopped. They brought along some other 1 off acts such as Stan Kolev after they switch to Friday Nights. From there, they threw in some random techno dj. (typical DC electronic scene unable to maintain identity in many venues) That is when I started to question and did some research. Come to find out, they had been using the local bullit booking agency, who obviously ran out of the Robbie Rivera type of acts and started feeding them uber underground acts because one local dj wanted to "be relevant". During this stage, both the manager and an associate, who had started working as a promoter there, called me to assist in promoting. I told them that I wasn't a promoter but would help consult. I basically told them to save their money and groom their local djs rather. The promoter wanted to know why he wasn't getting his techno friends, citing that they said they would only come "depending on the dj". I basically told him that he went to a sexy venue, with a european/expat following, thinking he could do techno. So from there, they switched it up to Latin nights all weekend and it has been a success.

But some how, they threw in Mike Nervous And Benny Soto this past October and bam, Oscar all of a sudden is being promoted for a residency as of November for January 15, 2017 - starting at 4PM - 11PM where people will be eating posh cuisine in their suits and khaki pants. Mind you, nothing in between to start creating some type of identity- but again, just winging it and not understanding anything about anything. And this is a problem I have with many booking agencies as they just create this pairing for their djs but do no research and have no idea what they are getting themselves into. DC IS NOT NYC, or MIAMI. There are no cubans or caribbean Latinos that dig that afro-latin style in order to create a real scene.

Furthermore, they have some random female dj (which I have nothing against female djs) opening up for him. The problem is that she isn't relevant and isn't going to do anything to network with Oscar and help groom the local dj scene and help Oscar develop a following in DC (see how this all works?). It's like having placing a rookie to assist Karl Malone instead of John Stockton. It should be someone like a Roland, Donnie Low, or Patrick M, who will actually network and get more of a scene going. But DC doesn't have anyone like that because they are a bunch of academia. One of their main venues soundcheck, took 4 months before showcasing their home talent sharam. Most local acts just want to add to their resume of "opening" for some guest dj. There is nobody like a biz martinez grooming their djs and networking with other talent. It's a total local culture for such a renowned town.

So I am really curious as to what is happening with Oscar G and his camp. He is coming into a scene where he will basically have to create one. He has a regular following at one of the other venues called public bar but that crowd doesn't go to Toro and will only go for Oscar at public, which is also on Sundays during the same time (competing audience)... (see how this all works?)

Not for nothing, but not only are promoters, booking agencies the problem, I am also beginning to think that djs are also part of this problem in not doing their own research.

But again, I am not trying to compromise his gig but I don't see it lasting long- the identity isn't there yet for his type of dark beats..

Btw, here is my vlogumentary on why I think Oscar is saving NYC's house music scene.

phpBB [media]
colione98

Love Your Enemies, It Pisses Them Off!

http://www.mix58fm.com

Postby kryptonite on 13 Jan 2017 11:19

pod thanks for posting this. may be wishful thinking but, would love it if this thread took off and got OG (or other dinosaurs) to chime in about that era in miami. all input is welcome!

colonie, u ffwd'ed too much!lol were still in miami, in 87, in pods post. lets work up to the years and era ur talking bout.. get ur own thread! jk man. I got plenty of perspective to share too about your post, but maybe move to its own thread
"How OG will save house music in ny" or something.. no?
kryptonite

Purpose of your visit?: to p.u.o.s.u

Postby colione98 on 13 Jan 2017 18:09

kryptonite wrote:pod thanks for posting this. may be wishful thinking but, would love it if this thread took off and got OG (or other dinosaurs) to chime in about that era in miami. all input is welcome!

colonie, u ffwd'ed too much!lol were still in miami, in 87, in pods post. lets work up to the years and era ur talking bout.. get ur own thread! jk man. I got plenty of perspective to share too about your post, but maybe move to its own thread
"How OG will save house music in ny" or something.. no?

Yeah dude, you are right. Pod, can you move it to it's own post and title?

Thanks.
colione98

Love Your Enemies, It Pisses Them Off!

http://www.mix58fm.com

Postby pod on 13 Jan 2017 18:21

Actually it's a pain in the butt. I'll send you a message.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby sunshine on 11 Feb 2017 10:57

Nice post! I recently read he released his latest EP on Nervous records https://rhythmtravels.com/music/label-focus-nervous-records
sunshine

Purpose of your visit?: I am a nightlife enthusiast
Global Nightclub Guide https://RhythmTravels.com

Return to talk about Nightlife