Miami night club news from the source

Good luck

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby davenavarro on 23 Sep 2016 21:54

Good luck

The following article was posted on the Miami Dumpster Fire web site today.

Everything We Know About Copa Room, the Miami Beach Club Replacing Icon
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2016 AT 8:52 A.M. BY RYAN PFEFFER

Yesterday we learned that Icon Nightclub had officially shut its doors after nine months in business. But it was unclear what would become of the iconic Washington Avenue venue that had been home to Mansion and Level — and had been owned by folks such as Prince and Al Capone at different points in time.

On Icon's marquee, a message reads, "Miami Copa Room coming soon." Today, after getting in touch with Copa Room's owner, Shawn Shahnazi, we know more about the new venue.

Copa Room will indeed take over Icon's space, even though Cameo's address is listed on its website. According to Shahnazi, the original idea was to build Copa Room in Cameo's building, but when Icon became available, he changed plans, and the website still hasn't been updated.

Shahnazi has been in the South Florida nightlife industry for about 30 years. He has owned a slew of bars and restaurants in the area and currently runs Wynwood's Prohibition Restaurant & Speakeasy.

But Copa Room will be unlike anything he's opened before. Asked to describe the concept, Shahnazi draws a comparison: "It's very similar to what Coco Bongo is in Cancun," he says. "It's a lot of Las Vegas-style shows, nightclub acts, entertainers, nightlife — all mixed into one."

Despite the name, Shahnazi hesitates to call Copa Room a Latin venue. "We have a Latin flair, but it's not going to be Latin," he asserts. Copa Room doesn't appear to be vying for a seat at the table with traditional Miami clubs such as LIV, Story, and Space. Rather, Copa Room is after a slice of the profits Mango's Tropical Cafe on Ocean Drive has been enjoying — without much competition — for years. "We're going to be — I hate to use the word — but we'll probably be Mango's on steroids."

Shahnazi isn't hiding the fact that it's mainly tourists he's after, and he says he's already working with around 90 hotels on Miami Beach to sell tickets in their lobbies. "We're going after just about all the tourists that come to Miami. We're really not looking for the elite or the one percenters or the VIPs."

Admission to Copa Room won't work like most clubs in Miami. To get in the door, guests will pay a flat rate. Once inside, drinks will be unlimited from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. "There's never been an all-inclusive nightclub in Miami," Shahnazi says. "All the shows — legitimate, artistic shows, not just two dancers on the stage — everything is all included. So you basically go there, have a good time. You don't have to worry about paying the $20 Miami drink prices on the Beach."

As it stands now, admission will be $80 on weekdays and $100 on weekends, with a more expensive option to gain access to the second floor and a wider selection of drinks. The club will be open Wednesday through Sunday. To help lure locals, Shahnazi plans to implement a discount for Florida residents of around $20.

Copa Room won't have the typical picky doorman either. And everyone, from corporate folks in suits to bros at a bachelor party, will get in.

With a staff of about 25 professional entertainers ranging from dancers and singers to acrobats, Copa Room will be an interactive experience, but it won't have a traditional live band.

Shahnazi's goal is to be open by Halloween weekend — even if it's just a soft opening; worst-case scenario, mid-November at the latest.

Copa Room is certainly unlike anything on the Beach right now, and it's a grand departure from the last three clubs that filled this space. It remains to be seen how locals will react to the tourist-driven motivations of the venue, but then again, locals have never really been the ones keeping South Beach clubs afloat, especially since the EDM explosion.

Will it work? Questions like this are useless on the Beach. That's the tough part about the nightlife industry: You don't know until it's too late.
davenavarro

Purpose of your visit?: My Real Name is Sergio

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby davenavarro on 24 Sep 2016 09:12

Re: Good luck

The concept of the Copa Room sounds like an epically horrible idea to me. If Icon was open for nine months, I see Copa Room staying open for 5 months if they're lucky. The owner said that they want to cater to mostly tourists, and that they're going to be like Mango's on steroids. I guess the new owners didn't hear that Senor Frog's opened up in South Beach and already beat them to the punch. I also find it hilarious that they think that tourists would pay $100.00 bucks to get into a crappy club that the owner is describing like a Mango's on steroids. I think this club might be one of the worst ideas for a night club on Miami Beach ever.
davenavarro

Postby coach on 26 Sep 2016 01:11

Well, this is a much better idea than a giant Latin Club. Plus, the venue was originally a theater, so it is already a good shape for the idea.

"A slice of Mangoes" business is an bad notion, since Mangoes is about one-fourth the size. They are going to have to generate 5x-10x more business than Mangoes.

One issue is that no actual performance club, with real productions, has ever survived for long in South Beach. Mangoes, which again, also serves full food, has a few dancers, but that's about it, not all that other stuff. That much real entertainment is going to cost quite a bit.

The one-price-for-all, I can't even comment on. $100 for 6 hours of drinks? When I was in my prime, I could have put them out of business in one night. Shit, when the club hell crew was rolling, we would have murdered them. But, most people from Idaho can't drink like us professionals, so it may not be that bad. I just don't think that $100 per patron is not enough to pay their bills. It seems to me that most Miami Beach clubs average quite a bit more than that.

On the plus side, it is playing into the Disneyfication of South Beach. If that continues and we continue to grow that kind of crowd, it could be good for them.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby davenavarro on 04 Jun 2017 09:36

Do any of you guys know if the Copa Room is still open? I passed by Miami Beach last night to watch UFC 212, and I walked by Copa Room twice, and it didn't appear that the place was open. I walked by Copa Room at 10:00, and a second time at about 10:30, but I didn't even see a doorman outside. Was I right? Did they not even make it to six months?
davenavarro

Postby Wayne S. Noches on 04 Jun 2017 15:04

davenavarro wrote:Do any of you guys know if the Copa Room is still open? I passed by Miami Beach last night to watch UFC 212, and I walked by Copa Room twice, and it didn't appear that the place was open. I walked by Copa Room at 10:00, and a second time at about 10:30, but I didn't even see a doorman outside. Was I right? Did they not even make it to six months?

I was just wondering the same thing. Did you happen to notice if the marquee was lit up?
Wayne S. Noches

Purpose of your visit?: News
Dogs...can you hear me, Dogs?

Postby davenavarro on 04 Jun 2017 19:15

I didn't look at the marquee Wayne. I did check out their Instagram page, and I saw that they had a few hip hop parties during Memorial Day Weekend. Even if they are still open, I have a feeling that they're not doing very well. Opening that place up was a terrible idea.
davenavarro

Postby JMT on 04 Jun 2017 21:28

Nothing posted to their FB page since May 21st. Someone posted that Gucci Mane was advertised for MDW but by 2:30am had not shown up. MDW might have been make or break, and they broke.
JMT

Postby kryptonite on 05 Jun 2017 06:52

coach wrote: .. when the club hell crew was rolling, we would have murdered them.

coach, u talkin kramer club hell? u old school too?
kryptonite

Purpose of your visit?: to p.u.o.s.u

Postby Wayne S. Noches on 06 Jun 2017 16:20

davenavarro wrote:I didn't look at the marquee Wayne. I did check out their Instagram page, and I saw that they had a few hip hop parties during Memorial Day Weekend. Even if they are still open, I have a feeling that they're not doing very well. Opening that place up was a terrible idea.

I just got a message from one of their singer/dancers...
They fired all the entertainment...
As far as I know they are closed

Sounds like it's time for the old "Closed for Renovations" routine.
Wayne S. Noches

Purpose of your visit?: News
Dogs...can you hear me, Dogs?

Postby davenavarro on 06 Jun 2017 23:03

Thanks for the info Wayne. I knew it was a terrible idea. They tried to cater to tourists, but I think that most tourists who go to Miami Beach want to experience a real South Beach nightclub. They don't want to experience some sort of crappy variety show that is better suited for Las Vegas. If you open a regular nightclub like Level, or Mansion you can attract both locals and tourists. But by opening up a place like Copa Room they were pretty much trying to cater strictly to tourists (which was a terrible idea). Do any of you guys know if they made it to six months?
davenavarro

Next

Return to talk about Nightlife