Miami night club news from the source

Pioneering DJ builds private "DJ Heaven" in Broward

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby pod on 28 Apr 2014 12:59

Pioneering DJ builds private "DJ Heaven" in Broward

http://www.dj-rooms.com/joey-madonia-bu ... dj-heaven/

Ever thought of building your own club in the basement having a good time with your friends? Joey Madonia from Florida did so and made his dream come true with this overwhelming DJ room inside of his house. As a Disco pioneer from the 70′s and Light & Sound Technician, he was responsible for many installations in some of the most popular clubs in New York and Florida. Joey has worked together with Larry Levan, & Michael Brody (Paradise Garage) and had close association with Richard Long and performed side by side with many big names in the House and Disco scene during the past 40 years. In 2013 he put everything together using his 30 years of work experience and 40 years of knowledge to buidt the perfect and unique club room. It took him 7 months to built his very own ‘DJ Heaven’. We are really proud to share these wonderful pictures of the buildup process and the finished room with you. And of course we had a really detailed interview with Joey for this project. Is this THE ultimative DJ room?

While married & raising a Son & Daughter, one day my kids were not kids any more & my wife decided to seek other things in life which did not include me. I was alone. My good friend DJ Chris Hagood called me up one day to do a guest spot at the River Shack in Miami, where I also met Esther Flores that night. I asked DJ Chris & Esther Flores what was the club sean like these days and where was the places to go to in 2012 that played the kind of House we liked and some classics, they replied, except for when Louie Vega comes to town “There’s nothing”. I never thought the day would come when I would hear someone say that. I looked around my Home and realized not only do I have the space to create a Real DJ Room, I had most of the equipment, packed away from years of accumulation and from doing Winter Music Conference. I realized I had too much history to just let it die with me. It was time to be Joey again and share. I slept on what they said to me that night. I woke up around midnight and I decided to build an environment that reflected as much of the key elements from the Club life that I experienced from 1970 till present. I walked up to the dividing wall between the two rooms in the back of my house and stared at it for a minuet, then with one strong blow I put my foot through the wall to the other side, I bent down and looked through to the other room and said to myself ” I’m committed now”. I immediately called my good friend Esther Flores and said, I just put my foot through the wall, I told my friend what I planed to do and surprised the shit out of her. I went to bed after that and tried to sleep but jumped out of bed and began tearing off all of the drywall on both sides of the wall. I felt better and went back to sleep. That’s how it started, that was the beginning of what was to be called “DJ Heaven”. Another main reason for the development of DJ Heaven was equally important as the preservation of the culture, it was to provide a heaven for those special people that were lovely in music and personality. Once a month we get together at DJ Heaven, some of the greatest DJ’s in south Florida and around the world play here. Everyone brings drink & food, the vibe is awesome. WELCOME TO DJ HEAVEN.

pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby AndyP8 on 28 Apr 2014 18:09

Re: Pioneering DJ builds private "DJ Heaven" in Broward

DJ Heaven sure does have a crappy DJ booth lol
AndyP8

Purpose of your visit?: discuss nightlife and events and stuff and junk

Postby pod on 28 Apr 2014 18:22

AndyP8 wrote:DJ Heaven sure does have a crappy DJ booth lol

It's subjective. Joey Madonia's idea of DJ Heaven is a genuine UREI and a pair of Thorens (by the looks of it) turntables in addition to the other old-school accoutrements, because that's what he was raised on.

Your idea may be 6 CDJ-2000 nexus players and the accompanying DJM-900 mixer.

It's like classic cars. My idea of a fun classic is a diesel old-school Benz. Yours might be a '68 Ford Mustang.

Or for photos, I shoot digital but I'd love to shoot film again because that is what I was raised on.

That being said, I scoped him out via FB. He's local and we both know people who know him. Maybe a TNL visit could be signed off on. I would love to check it out in person.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby Donnie Lowe on 29 Apr 2014 14:32

those vintage technics look so dope. I dig that booth, I would of added some newer gear as well but that's just me.
Donnie Lowe

Purpose of your visit?: Nothing

Postby DJJonCowan on 29 Apr 2014 16:19

Donnie Lowe wrote:those vintage technics look so dope. I dig that booth, I would of added some newer gear as well but that's just me.

agreed Donnie - I love the rotary mixer, the turntables do look dope but I'd either swap the dennon CD console for 2-3 CDJ's or just add them to the entire setup and its a work of art that I would be honored to play in..... an old school isolator and 5 way crossover would be nice as well but kept in the old school rotary style of course.....
The only question I have is do those turntables have pitch control? from the pictures and the website it seems they do not but they must no???
DJJonCowan

Postby pod on 29 Apr 2014 18:54

Thorens TD 125.

https://reverb.com/item/74323-thorens-t ... 7AodrlUAfw

There's a little tiny pitch control at the bottom of the unit.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby JoeyMadonia on 25 Apr 2017 01:06

DJJonCowan wrote:
Donnie Lowe wrote:those vintage technics look so dope. I dig that booth, I would of added some newer gear as well but that's just me.

agreed Donnie - I love the rotary mixer, the turntables do look dope but I'd either swap the dennon CD console for 2-3 CDJ's or just add them to the entire setup and its a work of art that I would be honored to play in..... an old school isolator and 5 way crossover would be nice as well but kept in the old school rotary style of course.....
The only question I have is do those turntables have pitch control? from the pictures and the website it seems they do not but they must no???
Attachments
mep-4000-main.jpg
upgraded the Denon Cd player to the Pioneer MEP4000 USB & CD Player, rack mount version works better for my set up, keeps it clean not cluttered.
Last edited by JoeyMadonia on 25 Apr 2017 01:11, edited 1 time in total.
JoeyMadonia

Purpose of your visit?: reply to post about me

Postby JoeyMadonia on 25 Apr 2017 01:10

JoeyMadonia wrote:
DJJonCowan wrote:

It already has a 4 way vintage isolator
JoeyMadonia

Postby JoeyMadonia on 25 Apr 2017 01:13

not Technics - Vintage Thorens TD 125
JoeyMadonia

Postby JoeyMadonia on 25 Apr 2017 01:15

JoeyMadonia wrote:

not Technics - Vintage Thorens TD 125 with pitch control in the center
Attachments
10628240_1461926627403729_3401240345015204796_n.jpg
with pitch control
JoeyMadonia

Next

Return to talk about Nightlife