Miami night club news from the source

[META] - Talknightlife Proposals For The Future

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby coach on 28 Jun 2014 22:42

Re: [META] - Talknightlife Proposals For The Future

pod wrote:I'm in the process of installing AdSense here. You guys may see Google ads in short order in the headers, site-wide. Let me know if it's intrusive or not and I can fine tune the delivery.

I think you need to fine tune the targeting, it's showing me window treatments.

Also, something seems to be hanging on the site. It loads mostly, then just hangs, trying to load the last bit. Still works, but kind of a pain.

Also, after I post, it just stalls out on the "you will be returned to the forum" page. I always have to click on the link on that page. This is also new, just within the past week or so.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby pod on 29 Jun 2014 01:11

Yeah, I'm gonna fine tune it over the next few days now that it's working. As for the site loading issues I think that's our good pal Dreamhost being obnoxious again.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby TechJunkie on 15 Sep 2014 18:45

Did I already vote for only one banner at the top, not two? It just looks spammy.

I contributed some sample code that I think should work.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby pod on 15 Sep 2014 18:47

TechJunkie wrote:Did I already vote for only one banner at the top, not two? It just looks spammy.

I contributed some sample code that I think should work.

Yeah, I agree and should probably get around to actually doing it.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby LeVeL on 30 Sep 2014 14:23

Pod

I was wondering if you wish to put restraints on Guest being able to see all the threads displaying on the forum? This would allow more people to become members and allow any content that was revealed in TNL to stay in-house.
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby pod on 30 Sep 2014 14:31

LeVeL wrote:Pod

I was wondering if you wish to put restraints on Guest being able to see all the threads displaying on the forum? This would allow more people to become members and allow any content that was revealed in TNL to stay in-house.

You mean how DTourism did/does it?

I'm not being critical, just making sure I got this right:

• Guests see a page which prompts them to register. They can't see threads and posts and much of anything else.

• Registered members see the whole shebang.

I could do it, but it would be ineffective. Why? Because anyone with a login could screenshot information and put it out there. As Tech is fond of saying, "information wants to be free".

DTourism had this issue. Often, the select few would post some juicy nugget of information about clubland or Danny himself, and at some point, it would get out.

Doing it wouldn't engender a more open environment. People would post, sure, but it would just be screenshotted and put out there if it were a juicy post.

Also, if I put the walls up, Google's bots can't spider the site. TNL isn't a huge moneymaker, but there is some income. If I have no traffic and Google ignores me, I'm kind of up shit's creek, especially when I turn up the heat on some other moneymaking ideas.

Now, if you are afraid of an employer linking your posts to you, that's another story. I'd recommend proxy browsing or just using your mobile device. Also, I don't divulge who is who on here, and I certainly don't sell email blasts. In other words, even if I know who someone is, I don't rat them out.

It'd be nice to have a walled garden, and some income, but I can't...
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby P.L.U.R. <3 on 28 Oct 2014 16:23

pod wrote:
LeVeL wrote:Pod

You mean how DTourism did/does it?

I'm not being critical, just making sure I got this right:

• Guests see a page which prompts them to register. They can't see threads and posts and much of anything else.

• Registered members see the whole shebang.

I could do it, but it would be ineffective. Why? Because anyone with a login could screenshot information and put it out there. As Tech is fond of saying, "information wants to be free".

DTourism had this issue. Often, the select few would post some juicy nugget of information about clubland or Danny himself, and at some point, it would get out.

Doing it wouldn't engender a more open environment. People would post, sure, but it would just be screenshotted and put out there if it were a juicy post.

Also, if I put the walls up, Google's bots can't spider the site. TNL isn't a huge moneymaker, but there is some income. If I have no traffic and Google ignores me, I'm kind of up shit's creek, especially when I turn up the heat on some other moneymaking ideas.

Now, if you are afraid of an employer linking your posts to you, that's another story. I'd recommend proxy browsing or just using your mobile device. Also, I don't divulge who is who on here, and I certainly don't sell email blasts. In other words, even if I know who someone is, I don't rat them out.

It'd be nice to have a walled garden, and some income, but I can't...

a.) what is or was Dtourism?
b.) can we ban Level plz, I feel like a braincell is vacuumed out of my head everytime he posts here :|
P.L.U.R. <3

Purpose of your visit?: BANNED

Postby pod on 28 Oct 2014 17:50

Dtourism was a Danny Tenaglia fan-forum. It was invite-only and you couldn't even read it without having an account. It was a tight community and very protective of it's content and membership. We're halfway between Dtourism and Facebook in terms of open access. Anyone can read TNL, and almost anyone can post. I only vet incoming accounts to block spammers.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby P.L.U.R. <3 on 31 Oct 2014 15:24

pod wrote:Dtourism was a Danny Tenaglia fan-forum. It was invite-only and you couldn't even read it without having an account. It was a tight community and very protective of it's content and membership. We're halfway between Dtourism and Facebook in terms of open access. Anyone can read TNL, and almost anyone can post. I only vet incoming accounts to block spammers.

sounds like a shitty place imo
P.L.U.R. <3

Purpose of your visit?: BANNED

Postby pod on 31 Oct 2014 15:28

With all due respect to Danny, it kind of was. I had to deal with endless (non-binding) takedown requests from the site ownership because some people would copy/past Dtourism content onto CJ (our old site) and the Dtourism site owners would (incorrectly) claim copyright infringement. I played along once, then our attorney reminded me that the copyright of the content belonged to the posters, not Dtourism. The poster of the content would have to contact me to get it taken down. Not the Dtourism admins. I told them in the interests of getting the word about Danny out there, the site should have been free-to-read, at least.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

PreviousNext

Return to talk about Nightlife