Miami night club news from the source

60 Minutes does Art Basel

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby TechJunkie on 28 Jun 2016 15:50

Re: 60 Minutes does Art Basel

It's fascinating how offended you are by Muslims groping European women, if you think that the concept of a woman's sexual self-determination is ridiculous. You want her to cover her body because it might make men too excited -- precisely the same reasoning that the Taliban use to force women to wear burkhas.

Her message to the rapefugees is that women are not objects and that they get to decide when they want to be touched. Seems like you would agree with that but you don't. You instead disregard what she has to say and focus on her body's potential to provoke sin in men.

So you're not siding with progressive Western values when you freak out about the rapefugees, you're siding with the patriarchal Muslims who want to force women to cover up.

That was good performance art, for revealing this.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby JMT on 28 Jun 2016 15:56

JMT wrote:She is already covered
JMT wrote:Let me know when she goes to the rapefugee camp for this "performance art" and starts doing some refusing. Then, it would actually make some sense.
JMT

Postby pod on 28 Jun 2016 15:57

Let me ask you this.

Yes, she determines who gets to touch her, and who doesn't.

However, some people might not abide by her wishes - then what?

People like you and me and JMT might see her on the street, nod for a second and go about our business.

I've seen enough weird shit in my travels that I wouldn't even think twice if I saw this on the street. I've got more important things to do, mirror-boxed-art-project-girl.

Other people might cause an issue for a variety of reasons.

There's performance art, and then there's just being in condition white.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby TechJunkie on 28 Jun 2016 16:26

Sure, protect her for her own good. I get it.

Her performance really draws out the patriarchal instinct doesn't it? Good art.
TechJunkie

Postby pod on 28 Jun 2016 16:29

She can do whatever, even if it's not advisable. Freedom includes being dumb.

Though I suppose truly controversial art does involve some risk to the artist. Serrano got death threats for Piss Christ.

I can stand in the middle of US1 and scream obscenities at traffic. Doesn't mean it's the smartest thing in the world to do.

Not that I would know anything about that.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby JMT on 29 Jun 2016 09:26

phpBB [media]

Good art provokes a reaction. That reaction might be "this is just a pretentious idiot seeking attention", but don't be fooled. This is good art, because she controls her vagina, not you.
JMT

Postby TechJunkie on 29 Jun 2016 09:40

Yes, there is definitely an exhibitionist theme running through her body of art. So what? Is art supposed to be asexual? Is art only supposed to exist for the glorification of Allah? Or do we live in a progressive, liberal society? You can't judge Muslims for being provincial and inferior if you're going to think just like them.
TechJunkie

Postby JMT on 29 Jun 2016 10:00

Just like them? Um no, sir. I do not worship a war mongering pedophile. I do not rape and destroy. The most damage I inflict is by peacefully pressing a few keys to call a spade a spade and say the emperor has no clothes. Just because a vagina is involved does not make it any more infallible than two monochrome canvases. That seems to be your threshold, though. If it involves pussy, it's good.
JMT

Postby pod on 29 Jun 2016 10:53

What wave feminism is that? Sixth?
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby TechJunkie on 29 Jun 2016 11:15

JMT wrote:Just like them? Um no, sir. I do not worship a war mongering pedophile. I do not rape and destroy. The most damage I inflict is by peacefully pressing a few keys to call a spade a spade and say the emperor has no clothes. Just because a vagina is involved does not make it any more infallible than two monochrome canvases. That seems to be your threshold, though. If it involves pussy, it's good.

After a thousand women were sexually assaulted in Cologne on New Year's, this woman staged a performance / protest where she stood naked with a sign that said:

Respect Us! We are not fair game even when naked!!!

Was that message aimed at the rapefugees? Or you? Both.

YOU are the one here objectifying a woman and reducing her to a "pussy", by laughing at the idea that she has anything to say.

There is a lot more to Western values than resisting the urge to rape and behead people. It reminds me of how the most outspoken homophobe almost always turns out to be gay, the way that you obsess with condemning Muslim rapefugees for disrespecting women when you have no respect for them yourself.

pod wrote:What wave feminism is that? Sixth?

That was a weak attempt to ridicule the idea that a woman's body is her own.

You know as well as I do that Europe has a long tradition of nude female political protests. You've heard of Фемен just like I have. I suppose that you and JMT were just as offended by Pussy Riot as Putin and the Islamists were? You think that Europeans should stifle a tradition of free expression like that for the benefit of prudish Muslims who can't handle it? Shouldn't you be encouraging mass topless demonstrations simply on the grounds that they would offend Muslims and assert Western values?
TechJunkie

PreviousNext

Return to talk about Nightlife