Miami night club news from the source

60 Minutes does Art Basel

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby JMT on 08 May 2012 20:41

60 Minutes does Art Basel

I think I am going to become an "artist". $33k for some tangled extension cords. What a joke.

JMT

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby colione98 on 08 May 2012 21:10

Re: 60 Minutes does Art Basel

Wow! :o

But i can't seem to figure out wire my wires always get tangled up no matter how far apart i pack them... :D
colione98

Love Your Enemies, It Pisses Them Off!

http://www.mix58fm.com

Postby coach on 09 May 2012 11:08

JMT wrote:I think I am going to become an "artist". $33k for some tangled extension cords. What a joke.

A joke, really? I dare you to put your money where your mouth is. Go for it. Be an "artist". I bet you $33K you never sell anything for $33K. You think its so easy, why don't you do it?
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby The Honky Tonk Man on 09 May 2012 11:20

coach wrote:
JMT wrote:I think I am going to become an "artist". $33k for some tangled extension cords. What a joke.

A joke, really? I dare you to put your money where your mouth is. Go for it. Be an "artist". I bet you $33K you never sell anything for $33K. You think its so easy, why don't you do it?

I'm sure you've seen My Kid Could Paint That. I'll sum it up for those who haven't seen it, art = scam. If rich folks want to keep buying it, that's their right. I watched a show recently where a marketer said he can sell $3000 coffee makers without doing much work but selling a $30 dollar one is extremely hard..

Rich people in America will buy anything, including electrical cords wrapped together due to it's price tag and price tag alone. If suddenly all rich people were rounded up and exterminated, art would collapse over night, middle class America knows a scam when they see one.
The Honky Tonk Man
Retired Club Legend

Postby Philip on 09 May 2012 11:51

well i'm not super rich and i would love to afford a lot of pieces i saw over Basel. art effects me in a huge way, as i know it does to gazillions of others

i watched that film, 'My Kid Could Paint That', and i certainly didn't walk away from that film identifying her and her family as a scam

some people just aren't wired to get that stuff
Philip

Postby The Honky Tonk Man on 09 May 2012 12:16

Philip wrote:well i'm not super rich and i would love to afford a lot of pieces i saw over Basel. art effects me in a huge way, as i know it does to gazillions of others

i watched that film, 'My Kid Could Paint That', and i certainly didn't walk away from that film identifying her and her family as a scam

The kids art was only worth money since he was a kid but when they suspected the father painted it then suddenly the art was worthless.. Why does it matter who painted it?
The Honky Tonk Man
Retired Club Legend

Postby Philip on 09 May 2012 13:37

The Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Philip wrote:well i'm not super rich and i would love to afford a lot of pieces i saw over Basel. art effects me in a huge way, as i know it does to gazillions of others

The kids art was only worth money since he was a kid but when they suspected the father painted it then suddenly the art was worthless.. Why does it matter who painted it?

personally, i don't think it matters. of course i'm not the one writing the check either. as with any scene, people are going to be involved for different reasons. some for the flash. some for the cash. some because art affects them in a profound way. usually some sort of amalgamation of those three

but that's exactly what the film deals with: what is art?
Philip

Postby Lyrik on 09 May 2012 13:58

coach wrote:

C'mon dude...look there were a lot of great works on display in the video...but that extension cord piece and the way the lady described it was a joke. It may not be easy to sell something "we" create for 33k, but I could whip that piece of garbage up in a garage in about 2 hours flat...I'd even throw in the Clark Griswald super tangled ball of Christmas lights too (little knot Russ). That piece was done by some Korean artist or whatever and I am sure the back story of his/her life make the Rich just fall over themselves with wanting to buy what looks to be someone's effort to clean out their attic.
Lyrik

Purpose of your visit?: To rape the horses and ride off on the women [and to prune the hedges of many small villages].

Postby JMT on 09 May 2012 14:21

phpBB [media]

Philip wrote:but that's exactly what the film deals with: what is art?

My rule of thumb is: anything I can't make myself. I can open my closet and find an impressive collection of tangled cords.
Last edited by JMT on 18 Nov 2014 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
JMT

Postby coach on 09 May 2012 16:39

The Honky Tonk Man wrote:I'll sum it up for those who haven't seen it, art = scam. If rich folks want to keep buying it, that's their right. I watched a show recently where a marketer said he can sell $3000 coffee makers without doing much work but selling a $30 dollar one is extremely hard..

Rich people in America will buy anything, including electrical cords wrapped together due to it's price tag and price tag alone. If suddenly all rich people were rounded up and exterminated, art would collapse over night, middle class America knows a scam when they see one.

If it is such a great scam and so easy to make money at, why aren't you doing it? And don't tell me its because you have any ethics, that's pure BS.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Next

Return to talk about Nightlife