Miami night club news from the source

60 Minutes does Art Basel

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby slamminshaun on 17 Apr 2017 14:30

Re: 60 Minutes does Art Basel

JMT wrote:While you were doing that I changed a shitty diaper and thought, hey look, modern art.

Wow! And here I thought my little modern artist was special.

I'm sure you noticed the subtle texture and poetic symbolism of the brown human waste juxtaposed with white cotton, a nod to the former days of slavery. Such defiance only furthers the dissatisfaction new sentient beings feel living in a white man's world. They are protesting the slavery of a birth they had no choice in, and expressing their concern through art. But it doesn't end there. The liquefied fecal matter dispersed violently across the white diaper canvas displays an inner conflict which everyone feels, the feeling of hopelessness, drowned by the realization that life itself is meaningless and shitty.

Frame that masterpiece and send it to Coach
slamminshaun

Purpose of your visit?: No reason.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby coach on 17 Apr 2017 17:18

slamminshaun wrote:
JMT wrote:While you were doing that I changed a shitty diaper and thought, hey look, modern art.

Frame that masterpiece and send it to Coach

Don't send that shit to me without an artists statement.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby coach on 17 Apr 2017 17:21

TechJunkie wrote:Anybody disagree?

Right, this is where the maxim, "you must understand the rules before you can break them" comes from. We can tell who here understands that and who doesn't.
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby pod on 17 Apr 2017 17:56

Jimbo is really big on artist statements. I even had to write one.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby TechJunkie on 18 Apr 2017 02:42

No she was seriously too obsessed with technique. Horizon needed to be broadened. It's not the rejection of technique it's new techniques. Pointillism, for example. She is super into pointillism now.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Postby slamminshaun on 18 Apr 2017 06:36

TechJunkie wrote:No she was seriously too obsessed with technique. Horizon needed to be broadened. It's not the rejection of technique it's new techniques. Pointillism, for example. She is super into pointillism now.

Obsessed with technique. LOL. Pointillism is a valid technique, no doubt (Seurat is my favorite).....but c'mon....your kid doesn't understand it anymore than mine does. They teach my kid about Picasso and Dali at the Montessori school, but I don't pretend that he understands it. A print of Guernica literally hangs in my dining room, but my kid has no clue what the message is, where the appreciation lies, or what Picasso's mindset was. He just likes that it has a horse, bull, and a dude with a sword. Only when his conceptual faculty is fully developed will he have the capacity to understand what he's looking at.

There isn't a 5 year old on the planet who can conceive of the metaphysical values and judgements of an artist by deductively reasoning through their work. No 5 year old can think conceptually at that level. Most adults can't even do it. So the fact that you think your 5 year old is "appreciating fine works of art" is possibly a confirmation that it wasn't really art, that the appreciation stems from that same lunatic religion concocted by people who pretend to know what they're looking at. As long as everyone in the modern art religion holds hands and stages the fraud together, they can escape the scrutiny of staging a fraud and acting pretentious and pedantic for everyone else's superficial approval.
slamminshaun

Postby pod on 18 Apr 2017 06:48

Art is always marketing. Whether it's painting, DJing, photography, or sculpture, it's all marketing. Everyone is "in" on it, because there's money to be made. Some guy making "ripped paper sculptures" (true story) and moving each little 5" x 5" plastic box with the ripped piece of paper in it for $20K knows exactly what they are doing. There's no significance to it other than what the marketing people ascribe to it. The degree of that significance depends on the skill of the marketer or agent.

It's like DJing. There's some pretty horrendous acts making it big out there now, especially with the commoditization of EDM. The real geniuses are the agents and marketers building up the legends behind these guys.

Painters and sculptors have the same racket going.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby TechJunkie on 18 Apr 2017 09:48

Shaun, if you expect your kid to be stupid then he will be. My kid is still talking about those paintings. She doesn't understand them on the same level that you do but she had a chance to see them. Seeing Starry Night in person is a lot different from seeing a picture that some Montessori teacher holds up while a pack of toddlers crawls all over her. The idea that it's not even worth the time to show them these things makes me sad for your child.

I went in with a simple message tailored for my kid and her current point in development that she could understand: Technique and art are two different things, and scribble-scrabble can be art. She gets it. It was well worth fifty bucks and a couple of hours of my time.
TechJunkie

Postby slamminshaun on 18 Apr 2017 20:08

TechJunkie wrote:Shaun, if you expect your kid to be stupid then he will be. My kid is still talking about those paintings. She doesn't understand them on the same level that you do but she had a chance to see them. Seeing Starry Night in person is a lot different from seeing a picture that some Montessori teacher holds up while a pack of toddlers crawls all over her. The idea that it's not even worth the time to show them these things makes me sad for your child.

LOL!!! Starry Night hangs in my son's room. Guernica hangs in my dining room. Copies of Michaelangelo's works are spread around the house, and others. I'm an art fanatic and classical pianist. The kid is exposed to art, been to the National Gallery in London, reads sheet music (Hot Cross Buns, etc), and does scribble scrabble for fun....but all that aside, I'm not going to pretend that he understands what good art is. Someday he will, but he's nowhere near that point. And neither is your kid.

TechJunkie wrote:I went in with a simple message tailored for my kid and her current point in development that she could understand: Technique and art are two different things, and scribble-scrabble can be art. She gets it. It was well worth fifty bucks and a couple of hours of my time.

Scribble-scrabble is scribble-scrabble, a bunch of mindless nothing. A monkey can do it, and that's why it's not art. Art is a selective and conscious recreation of reality that requires some sort of technique and skill. Big difference. Anyone can scribble-scrabble, including a monkey, but not everyone can have human skill. If you think scribble-scrabble is art, then obviously this can be considered art:

;aljkdf;sajflsjf;sajkfsa;lkfjlajkfsalfjk
a;ljksdfl;sajf;kljsaklfjsalkfjsa;ljfsa
;salfjkasl;kfj;salfjk alaajf;lsakjfs;lfjk
pwitehigaeogadnvlahspiowhfwaonwof
awoighwoigf reviwqoy ntriwqeo rviwqo rvwo
uie hvpiwqou rvwqpuiry wqiorv iwqov
qwpuio rvhyiwqo rvywqo rvwqovu rrwqovui pwq
safhisah gnjqdh gnkljadsh gnilfrynrncwqio nc

A monkey could type that, but if that were displayed at Art Basel, the pedantic frauds hanging around would exclaim, "OMG OMG...what progressive poetry! Not bound by the rules! Breaking the norms and challenging the slavery of language!! Don't you see it? Don't you see it?"

Normal people would just say, "what a load of crap".
slamminshaun

Postby TechJunkie on 19 Apr 2017 00:51

No, Shaun, a resized, two-dimensional reproduction of Starry Night hangs in your kid's room.

I think I have criticized you before for being one of those people who brags about sending their kid to Montessori school without understanding what it means. I have to bring that up again now. The Montessori tradition is about pushing a kid forward when they take an interest in something regardless of whether they're 'supposed' to be learning about that thing at that time. If a kindergartner obsesses over physics then you go with that. If a five-year-old obsesses over art then you go with that. It's obvious enough to me that you superficially pay the tuition and brag about it without really understanding or supporting it. I know that you don't care what I think but it's obvious.

If you expect your kid to be stupid then he will be stupid.

Picasso showed a passion and a skill for drawing from an early age. According to his mother, his first words were "piz, piz", a shortening of lápiz, the Spanish word for "pencil". From the age of seven, Picasso received formal artistic training from his father in figure drawing and oil painting. Ruiz was a traditional academic artist and instructor, who believed that proper training required disciplined copying of the masters, and drawing the human body from plaster casts and live models. His son became preoccupied with art to the detriment of his classwork.

PS: I also taught my kid about Zaha Hadid. And she gets that too.
TechJunkie

PreviousNext

Return to talk about Nightlife