Miami night club news from the source

The final Stryke & Friends - Toys for Tots toy drive

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby Tecnicole on 19 Dec 2007 04:22

The final Stryke & Friends - Toys for Tots toy drive

Every year I make sure to contribute to at least one local toy drive around the holidays. Stryke's recent post on CJ titled "Such great sadness..." inspired me to encourage others to do the same. This Thursday at Laundry Bar Stryke and I will be collecting toys for the Toys for Tots of Miami. Here are some common questions and answers from the Toys for Tots website: (http://www.toysfortotsmiami.org)

Q : Are particular types of toys more in need than others?
A : The age groups that are in need of donations are the children from ages 0-2 and ages 15-17.

Q : What kinds of toys are not allowed?
A : Toys with military theme. Toys related to weapons/law enforcement type toys. Toys with candy. Used toys. No chemicals (i.e. experimental labs, acid, crystal projects, etc.). The Toys For tots program do not allow these toys. The Toys For Tots of the Marine Corps reserve will not distribute toys fitting this description that are donated to the program to children. Instead, these toys will be donated to another charity organization.

Q : What kind of toys can I donate?
A : New, unwrapped toys preferably around the $10 or above price range. It is unsafe to distribute dangerous or dirty toys that could cause injury or illness to a child.

I strongly encourage all of you to take the time to donate a toy for a needy child this holiday season. If you can't make it out this Thursday, then please visit the Toys for Tots site for a drop off location near you: http://www.toysfortotsmiami.org/donate-toys.php or visit http://www.secretsanta.org in order to find your local, neighborhood toy drive.

All that being said, I hope to see everyone at Laundry Bar this Thursday night for what looks to be the final Stryke & Friends. Stryke will be in the house along with Danyelino and Maurizio Ruggiero.

This may be the last time we will be able to hear Stryke locally for awhile, so come out, bring a toy, and get your dance on!

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby Tecnicole on 20 Dec 2007 17:46

Re: The final Stryke & Friends - Toys for Tots toy drive

Well it seems as if not many are interested here, but I just wanted to remind you that not only is tonight the final Stryke & Friends (quite a few of you call him your friend I believe?) but Toys for Tots is coming up short this year due to all the toy recalls and what they can and can't distribute because of it.

You don't have to come out and party, but please try to come by and bring a toy.

At the very least, please visit the Toys for Tots website (in original post) for a drop-off location near you.

Here is wishing everyone a safe and happy holiday season!

Postby Tecnicole on 21 Dec 2007 13:08

Well, I kind of feel like a loser being the only one to post on my one thread :) , but just in case any of you actually were reading this thread and came out last night I will share what I just posted on CJ:

I wish I had thought to keep some sort of list as to who donated toys so I could thank ALL of you personally. With such short notice for the toy drive, I didn't know what to expect - but I don't think I expected so much that it wouldn't fit in my car! We received a wonderful amount of toys. I am going to drop them off at Toys for Tots in a little while, and Stryke has the overflow to drop off today as well. Seriously, you all have warmed my heart.

A sincere and joyous thank you to everyone that donated toys and everyone that came out last night to support.

Postby Ryan on 21 Dec 2007 15:20

NicoleC wrote:With such short notice for the toy drive, I didn't know what to expect - but I don't think I expected so much that it wouldn't fit in my car!

Wow! I wish that I had donated my toys to you instead of the Salvation Army. I donated a bunch of toys to the Salvation Army last weekend and then right after that there was an announcement that because of Chinese lead paint, the Salvation Army is tossing out all of this year's toy donations rather than making them available to needy kids. I could have thrown the stuff in the dumpster myself if I'd know that was where it would end up, but I wanted some kids to have the stuff. There was a huge teddy bear that was about five feet tall that I guess is in a landfill now instead of in some kid's hands.

I guess he wouldn't have fit in your car anyway.
Ryan
Chief Quartermaster Officer

"A discriminating irreverence is the creator and protector of human liberty."
Mark Twain

Postby Tecnicole on 21 Dec 2007 18:26

Wow, that sucks Ryan. I wonder why they threw them all out rather then sort through them for what was usable?!?

Also, I meant to let everyone know that if you couldn't make it out last night, the Toys for Tots deadline isn't until the 23rd.

They are terribly short on toys this year, and there are plenty of drop-off locations. All the information is in my original post, so please get out and donate a new, unwrapped toy if you have the ability.

And thank you AGAIN!

xoxo

Return to talk about Nightlife