Miami night club news from the source

Avicii does GQ and finally jumps the shark...

A frank discussion about night clubs, bars, music festivals, art events, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby Flying Dutchman on 30 Mar 2013 16:49

Avicii does GQ and finally jumps the shark...

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/music/2 ... april-2013

I used to be a fan of Avicii, but this kid seems to have no clue what the fuck.

While he likes to play mostly his own songs, he still includes tracks by others to keep up the requisite energy level, and "Epic" is one of them. In fact, it's the third song the opening DJ has played from Tim's usual rotation, and each time it happens, Tim cracks open another Red Bull and gets a little more jittery.

The Rolling Stones never had to suffer this type of indignity. "We should make a list of songs that we tell festival organizers not to let other DJs play," Bergling's tour manager, a no-nonsense Irishwoman named Ciara Davey, says decisively

[Avicii]'s listening to the thumping sound of "Who" by German producers Tujamo and Plastik Funk coming off the stage. "This, too?" he says incredulously. "How many of my fucking songs is he going to play?

Epic and Don't you Worry Child are your fucking songs? Perhaps the opening DJ shouldn't be playing banger and banger, but it wasn't like he was playing Avicii's own productions. Hell, everybody plays those fucking songs, why the hell is pizza boy doing so too?

Thanks to computers, these days, DJing is mostly "before work," Tim explains. Most of the set list and transitions are worked out before he gets onstage. The notion of a DJ who determines what to play by reading the room "feels like something a lot of older DJs are saying to kind of desperately cling on staying relevant."

Since so much of it is predetermined, I ask, what is he doing onstage? He sure looks busy as hell up there: Twisting knobs and pushing buttons and smiling and dancing. But after watching his show a few times, the only real difference I notice when he twists a button or pushes a knob is that sometimes it gets a little louder or quieter, like he's deploying all of that energy just to change the volume.

"Yeah, it's mostly volume," he shrugs. "Or the faders, when you're starting to mix into another song, you can hear both in your headphones, you get it to where you want and you pull up the fader."

So you plan the same set ahead of time with the same transitions, yet you don't bother to do more other than playing with the volume and fader?

He also talks shit about Funkagenda and there's a quote from his lighting guy saying that Avicii's VIP shows are against everything he believes what clubbing should be about.

Naturally, DJ's who actually have skills like Laidback Luke and A-Trak call him out for it.

Avicii retorts on twitter that GQ misquoted him... but the damage is done. It'd be more forgiving if the guy actually performed good shows but everybody realizes now that his sets are boring and his main stage show at Ultra didn't do him any favors.

Stick a fork in him.
Flying Dutchman

Purpose of your visit?: .

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby pod on 30 Mar 2013 16:53

Re: Avicii does GQ and finally jumps the shark...

"Reading a room" is desperation? Um, that't the whole point of putting a human in the playback loop. Computers can't read a room yet. 90 percent of a DJ's skill is just that, reading a room.

Between this and the ego hotel, it's getting ridiculous. Tim, what happened to the nice guy I shared a hired car ride with to Pearson Airport in 2010?
pod
Kaptain Kook

Postby norah on 30 Mar 2013 21:39

pod wrote:"Reading a room" is desperation? Um, that't the whole point of putting a human in the playback loop. Computers can't read a room yet. 90 percent of a DJ's skill is just that, reading a room.

Between this and the ego hotel, it's getting ridiculous. Tim, what happened to the nice guy I shared a hired car ride with to Pearson Airport in 2010?

He became an asshole who gets paid for pre-recorded sets?
norah

Purpose of your visit?: Banter

Postby LaQua on 30 Mar 2013 22:28

Not to be a dick, but how does this surprise anyone? This is how he sounds in every interview I've ever read. He can't open his mouth without sounding like a baby in a bubble. I remember seeing him a couple years ago and he trainwrecked transition after transition for a half hour straight before I gave up and left. From what I hear, he still hasn't mastered beatmatching.

His productions have never been impressive to me either, it just sounds like the melodic parts of Pryda tracks cheesed up and watered down. I can't be alone on this, can I?
LaQua

Purpose of your visit?: Shows shows and more shows.

Postby norah on 30 Mar 2013 23:29

Isn't he like 23 or 25 ? That would partially explain why he speaks in such pompous tone.
norah

Postby pod on 01 Apr 2013 16:11

https://www.facebook.com/avicii/posts/10151406809626799

GQ, my thoughts on the article. I would normally not even care but this article really got to me, how it could even be published with so little truth and misquotations.

So this interview was made over the course of 4-5 days where a freelance reporter followed me and my crew around on tour up until new years eve. Reporter Jessica Pressler BEGINS by describing my fans as "douchebags" - not as a quote - but as an (her) obvious impression in the introduction to the text. The preamble to that describes people attending to my shows as drug addicts!

She goes on to describe how I plan my sets only to contradict herself saying I go over my planned time cause I'm having so much fun with my crowd. Anyone reading this article should know it's very subjectively twisted by someone who has a) no experience of this scene or insight to a DJs profession at all and b) has no interest in really understanding it either. How on earth the fact that I complain when an opening DJ plays some of the peak time tracks I usually play somewhere in my set becomes the conclusion that I only touch volume faders is beyond me and even though I could beat mix in my sleep doesn't allude any kind of respect which I find deeply insulting. I would never lay down a pre-programmed set and performed to a pre-mixed CD, I would never cheat my fans like that. Period. For the record, the only planning I do is check transitions so that I don't have to pre-program anything and still make sure I bring it to my fans. A lot of work and thinking goes into my DJing. I want the entire night to progress seamlessly and when I have to adapt the energy on the fly for the crowd on any given night, I can do so with harmonic mixes that I've practiced over and over again. I am far from the only DJ that does this and it's something I take pride in being able to do. Truth is that at bigger festivals or solo shows I know what people want to hear and my set is a compromise between what I want to play for them and what people come and expect to hear me play for them. At a smaller club show I can wing it completely.

Some people are known for certain things, some DJs like A-trak, Steve Angello and Laidback Luke are excellent technical DJs, something I will never be, and have a whole different approach to their performances.

I mean everything even down to the tracks I play she got wrong in this article. I wouldn't adress this and bring more attention to it if I really didn't feel that this article was truly unfair and incorrect. She draws up this disgusting picture of the electronic music crowd being constantly high, ugly, uneducated, dumb and "douchy", while I feel they are caring, loving, positive and the complete opposite of what she says. Sure people do drugs and party but that is nothing exclusive to this music genre. It looks like the journalist wanted the GQ readers to buy into that stigma.

We agreed to let GQ into our camp to actually portray a serious side of this music to the masses who might not now and might not understand. We hoped they could unveil and communicate the reason for there being so much love within, and how such a great community has risen organically for, this music genre. The problem was that a journalist that knows nothing of electronic music was sent to be on the road with me for a couple of days and then tried piecing together what it's all about. She failed miserably
pod
Kaptain Kook

Postby Donnie Lowe on 01 Apr 2013 16:17

so this twat acts like an asshole and then back tracks to save his ass :lol: piss off Avicii.
Donnie Lowe

Purpose of your visit?: Nothing

Postby LeVeL on 01 Apr 2013 16:20

around this time last year, the guy was on top of the world. His Dj career has declined and continues to decline.

Its a shame
LeVeL

These DJs Ain't Loyal'

Postby norah on 01 Apr 2013 19:12

We agreed to let GQ into our camp to actually portray a serious side of this music to the masses who might not now and might not understand.

Yeah right.
norah

Postby LaQua on 01 Apr 2013 21:09

How is it a shame? This douche could fall off the face of the planet for all I care. Hell, I'd be elated.

None of this is new. This isn't Rolling Stone attempting to grasp for relevancy and misunderstanding an entire musical movement in the process. If anything, it's a journalist exposing a stain on the scene for what he really is.

This kid is clueless.
LaQua

Purpose of your visit?: Shows shows and more shows.

Next

Return to talk about Nightlife