Miami night club news from the source

100% confirmed, SFX buys Mokai...... With documents....

Night clubs, bars, and lounges.

Moderator: pod

Postby The Honky Tonk Man on 15 Jan 2013 12:33

Re: 100% confirmed, SFX buys Mokai...... With documents....

Here is my theory...

More and more when you really start to think about it MMG is forced to sell to SFX. Lets say you are dj box of rocks and you play LIV for big bucks, your agent is going to get a call from the SFX guys telling them if dj box of rocks is not booked at a SFX Miami club they will blacklist them from all other SFX events... This is EXACTLY how I would run it...

It's even further complicated as the hotel would suffer without dj talent.

This is why UMF was stupid not to sell to SFX.... They could be talent starved....

Who ever wants to buy space is a mystery, but I have my money on a group of guys in the shadows who are really just buying space as a hedge against SFX. Space is by far the safest investment out there, no dealing with any dj booking wars... On paper it's owned by someone no one knows but it's controlled and operated by a bunch of guys on the beach thus voiding their non compete with SFX... (if they get caught)

My advice to all club owners is simple, TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN!!!!!!!
The Honky Tonk Man
Retired Club Legend

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby coach on 15 Jan 2013 15:10

So, basically it is Live Nation. Damn, this is bad.
Kamen wrote:Robert F. X. Sillerman, the media executive who transformed the live music business in the 1990s by combining regional concert promoters into the nationwide powerhouse that became Live Nation, has returned to the business with the first of what he expects will be a string of investments in electronic dance music, the industry’s latest trend.

The mispelled the word "transformed" in that first sentence, it should be R.U.I.N.E.D. It's sickening how bad a reporting job this is, that they can take something so negative and make it sound positive.

The plan for SFX, Mr. Sillerman said, is still being formulated but will involve using the Internet to connect fans of dance music. If his strategies from the 1990s are a guide, he might also want to deliver this aggregated audience to major advertisers and marketers.
How'd that work out for Clubplanet?

“There’s a wave of interest in attending concerts that have less to do with the specific music and more to do with the experience attached to the music,” he said, referring to the immersive appeal of many large-scale dance events. “Our thought is that the experience of attending an individual event can be perpetuated and made better by connecting the people, not just when they’re consuming the entertainment but when they’re away from it.”

Let me summarize, "The music doesn't matter." And "We empower stalkers."

He added, “He brought together promoters who were archrivals, and he brought Wall Street to the rock business.”

Yeah, Wall Street is really good at fixing things...

Live Nation has also had problems. Since going public in 2005, it has never turned an annual profit. But Mr. Sillerman said he believed that the basic business strategy behind combining multiple concert companies was sound. “The fundamental premise that combining businesses that are inefficient and making them more efficient always makes sense,” he said.

So even though HIS OWN COMPANY proves otherwise, he is still claiming this works? There's a word for that...

“I’m confident we’ll do an excellent job empowering these kids to be as good as they can be,” he said of the promoters he expected to bring into the fold. “I’m also confident that we will create a better experience for the fans. Can we monetize that? If we can, this will dwarf the first SFX. That’s the whole game.”
"CAN we monetize that?"??? So, this guy is putting up zillions of dollars without even a solid plan to earn it back?
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby pod on 15 Jan 2013 21:42

Dancing Astronaut reports on something we knew all along.

http://www.dancingastronaut.com/2013/01 ... -heats-up/

Robert Sillerman, entertainment mogul and head of SFX Entertainment, has declared an arms race on EDM enterprises with a billion dollar budget. After purchasing Donnie Disco Presents and the company formerly known as DayGlow, Sillerman has remained relatively quiet — until now. The billionaire has now purchased a large stake in Miami’s The Opium Group, which manages Mansion, SET, Cameo and Mokai Lounge. After acquiring power of a large portion of Miami’s nightlife scene, the rumors continued to surface, and it appears as if Sillerman has just begun an EDM shopping spree.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Postby pod on 15 Jan 2013 22:00

I love how they don't have the decency to cite us as a source, considering this is old information in our book.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Postby Color_Swatch on 15 Jan 2013 22:06

pod wrote:I love how they don't have the decency to cite us as a source, considering this is old information in our book.

I've been wondering aren't all these "EDM" blogs all run by college age kids or something? I've seen so many blogs about "EDM" popping up everywhere acting like they are CNN or something.

You can't have expected them to act like journalists and cite sources did you? How else do you expect them to get in for free at parties for reviews and to get in the good graces of promoters for that all night yolo rage fest. :lol:
Color_Swatch

Purpose of your visit?: Information

Postby pod on 15 Jan 2013 22:09

SFX-STAR ISLAND OPERATING LLC

I totally forgot Mansion ran under the Star Island Operating LLC name. So yep. That's that. They got Mokai, Cameo, SET, Mansion.

Confirmed, public records.

But yeah, most bloggers don't know the traditions and rules of citing your sources. I'm not a professional journalist, but I always give credit where credit is due. When possible. The law allows for journalists to protect their sources.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Postby Color_Swatch on 15 Jan 2013 22:38

pod wrote:But yeah, most bloggers don't know the traditions and rules of citing your sources. I'm not a professional journalist, but I always give credit where credit is due. When possible. The law allows for journalists to protect their sources.

Unfortunately not to many think that way anymore. :|
Color_Swatch

Purpose of your visit?: Information

Postby coach on 16 Jan 2013 00:59

pod wrote:SFX-STAR ISLAND OPERATING LLC

I totally forgot Mansion ran under the Star Island Operating LLC name. So yep. That's that. They got Mokai, Cameo, SET, Mansion.

Sunuvafuckingbitch!!! Just as I was in the process of pinning Opium down as a sponsor! FAAAAAAAAACK
coach

Purpose of your visit?: Get real
What do you do?

Postby pod on 16 Jan 2013 02:41

Well, in a nutshell I think they are going to probably have some latitude when it comes to local operational issues, at least for the next year or so. That being said, if the local boss finds your concept interesting, it could potentially lead to some big money coming your way from the chiefs up in wherever SFX calls home base.

However, if you were to try whatever's on your mind next year, forget about it. Everything would have to be "run through corporate" to get approved.

There's potential for good, and bad, in this situation.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Postby DannyD on 16 Jan 2013 03:08

Well opium is sold and out in the open... I wonder when the other purchases will come from under the covers...
DannyD

Location: My house is your house and in my house there's only house music
Purpose of your visit?: to Talk about Nightlife in South Florida

PreviousNext

Return to talk about Nightlife