Miami night club news from the source

The Maze Runner

Kardashians, Lohans, J-Laws, Johanssons, the Fappening, and more...

Moderator: TechJunkie

Postby TechJunkie on 21 Sep 2014 14:05

The Maze Runner

Saw the Maze Runner (baby sitter!!) last night, and it was pretty cool. I'm really amazed that I'm not seeing more about the homage that the movie played to the Lord of the Flies as I search about it. I knew all along that Piggy had to die. It completely makes sense that Jack shows up out of nowhere to kill him. It's interesting how the motivations of the two factions were reversed: instead of wanting to defy the societal order and break the rules, Jack's faction was the one that wanted to maintain the social order. And Piggy was an advisor to the guy who wanted to break away, instead of to the guy who wanted to preserve The Rules. In the Maze Runner, Jack's faction aims to support Jack's rules. Completely reversed from the Lord of the Flies, but somehow it makes sense.

The Maze Runner is roughly equivalent to the Hunger Games, but it avoids the terrible cliches of flawed science fiction that haunt the Hunger Games. Instead of simply explaining the premise in the beginning through narration like the Hunger Games, the Maze Runner forces the viewer to figure out what's going on as the story evolves. In that sense it has way more in common with W.O.O.L. and Ender's Game than the Hunger Games.

I'm dying for the W.O.O.L. movie to come out.

The biggest thing that sucked about this movie was that the theater was completely full of giggling teenaged girls who were really excited to see it.

If they can get it funded, then there will be a sequel. I'll definitely buy a ticket.
TechJunkie
Chief Quartermaster Officer

I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane
and all the passengers were drunk and insane.

Share On:

Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Orkut OrkutShare on Reddit RedditShare on VK VKShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Postby TechJunkie on 21 Sep 2014 14:11

Re: The Maze Runner

Hey Pod, when my wife and I were looking through IMDB after seeing this movie, we were surprised to find ourselves there. How is it possible that she and I got credited for Sarah's project but you didn't? I'm "Ryan Porter XIII". I shouldn't even be listed on IMDB at all but you should be.
TechJunkie

Postby pod on 21 Sep 2014 15:07

pod
Kaptain Kook

Purpose of your visit?: ASIC
Founder of the Minton Yacht Club.

Раз, два, три!

Postby Lola on 21 Sep 2014 16:28

I love the hunger games and can't wait for the new movie.. I thought this movie looked pretty good... glad to hear it didn't disappoint!
Lola

Postby LeVeL on 22 Sep 2014 11:43

I haven't seen The Maze Runner, but was really impressed with The Enders Game. I thought it would be another kids sci-fi movie and it ended up being a really enjoyable movie.
LeVeL

Right-Wingers gonna Hate

Postby Bling on 22 Sep 2014 12:34

LeVeL wrote:I haven't seen The Maze Runner, but was really impressed with The Enders Game. I thought it would be another kids sci-fi movie and it ended up being a really enjoyable movie.

enders game was so good
Bling

Purpose of your visit?: Read and talk shit
"I haven't sucked a dick for a ticket since 1996" - as posted by TNL Member Dirty Harry

Postby TechJunkie on 22 Sep 2014 13:55

Ender's Game was one of my favorite books ever from my childhood and I can't believe that I still haven't seen it. I seriously considered skipping the babysitter on Saturday night and staying home to rent it from iTunes.

Ender's Game, and Orson Scott Card, are a big part of why I hated the Hunger Games so much. OSC wrote kind of an obscure book for authors, called "How To Write Science Fiction And Fantasy". One of the things that he did was itemize some of the horrible cliches that can ruin a science fiction story. The lady who wrote the Hunger Games nailed virtually every one of them. From dumping a voice-over explanation on the reader at the very beginning that explains the story's universe, to the story disrespecting its own premise and changing that universe awkwardly to make the story change directions. The Hunger Games is almost like something that OSC might have written as an example of terrible science fiction.

Ender's Game is the opposite of that. I haven't seen the movie, but in the book you have no idea what's really going on until nearly the end. When you do find out what's really going on, it's pretty shocking. He didn't have to change the rules of the universe just to surprise you, because he had been planning it all along. When the game masters at the end of the Hunger Games decided that there could be two winners, it felt like watching a sign painter screw up and run out of room on the right side of a sign.

W.O.O.L. is an amazing story because Hugh Howey is brilliant at revealing what's really going on in little bits, where each little bit feels like an Earth-shattering revelation that completely shifts your perspective. He reveals the story like peeling back layers of an onion and it's fascinating. Pod, read it. You won't put it down after the first chapter. WOOL is also interesting because it's completely self-published, and it was edited through crowdsourcing. He published it online as a serial before publishing it through Amazon on Kindle. I think that you can buy it on paper now but who cares. Hopefully the Ridley Scott film will do it justice.

Anyway, Maze Runner was completely decent. It's still a bit of a mystery how they all had clean clothes, smooth shaves, and fresh haircuts after living like in the Lord of the Flies for three years. But that didn't completely ruin it.
TechJunkie

Postby pod on 22 Sep 2014 14:10

It's on my list. Ms Pod told me to start picking up books again anyways.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Postby TechJunkie on 22 Sep 2014 15:16

It's way more accessible and easier to read than Accelerando. For Accelerando, you pretty much have to read it on a Kindle because you constantly have to use the dictionary and web search features.

I also think that you would really enjoy Windup Girl. It's literally a whole new genre of science fiction. It has a lot in common with Snow Crash. But it's about the positive and negative implications of bioengineering instead of nanotech. That might sound a little boring but trust me it's not boring. I highly recommend both Windup Girl and WOOL.

I've read basically every Nebula Award winner ever published and out of all of them, Windup Girl is at the top of the top. (Runner up: The City & The City)

Somehow I took a detour from young-adult pulp into quality science fiction. I guess because Ender's Game is both.
TechJunkie

Postby pod on 22 Sep 2014 15:28

I'm down with anything in the vein of Snow Crash.

Still hoping for a decent attempt at a Snow Crash movie, too.
pod
Kaptain Kook

Раз, два, три!

Next

Return to talk about Celebrity